46 inch + flat screens

Berserk87

So, were moving right now, and my parents are considering getting a flat screen tv for the new house.

I dont know much about tv's at all.

LCD or Plasma?

whats cheaper?

better picture?

im doing research right now, but just wondering if anyone had tips before i started putting stuff together.

Andrew Lyle

Someone once told me, LCD vs Plasma is really what you hear from word of mouth. If you have more "friends" that have plasma, you will end up getting a plasma, and vice versa.

Since I have LCD pretty much everywhere.. my HDTV, my PC screens, phone etc etc, I would definitely say go with LCD, but it really depends on what YOU like.

medium_pimpin

Unless you're stuck on wall-mounting, I'd get a DLP. I got a 50" Samsung 1080p. It's bright and clear and a LOT cheaper than LCD or plasma.

shockz
Unless you're stuck on wall-mounting, I'd get a DLP. I got a 50" Samsung 1080p. It's bright and clear and a LOT cheaper than LCD or plasma.

Ugh... DLP's are nice until you stand up... or try watching from another room... the viewing angles suck.

Berserk87

ya, we're going for wall mounting.

there isnt really a place to put a large crt (what we have now)

Daxbash5000

who's gonna be watching a TV from the other room to begin with? if i'm in another room I have a purpose in that room... and if it's to watch TV than I should probably not be in the room that doesn't have the 42 incher

Berserk87
who's gonna be watching a TV from the other room to begin with? if i'm in another room I have a purpose in that room... and if it's to watch TV than I should probably not be in the room that doesn't have the 42 incher

i have no clue what your talking about =S

iconboy
i have no clue what your talking about =S

u should probably try reading ALL the posts in a thread YOU started! lol ;)

iZoom

51ZLs54qfjL.jpg

Samsung LN46A550 has received good reviews by Consumer Reports and Cnet, which I usually trust to be straight-forward.

I have one upstairs if you'd like a picture for size comparison and what it looks like in a "candid" setting, versus stock photos.

Pseudonym

Quite expensive but I understand that Pioneer are best for Plasma and Sony for LCD. The new gen Pioneer Kuro's look amazing when hooked up to Pioneer Blu-Ray player. I've seen some slightly older Samsung's (bought around Jan '08) and they just lack some of the richness/clarity of our Pioneer.

Berserk87
well then your not particularly smart then are you.
u should probably try reading ALL the posts in a thread YOU started! lol ;)

Psyduck is confused.

i never said i was going to be watching the tv from another room :huh:

deuz

for plasma imo look at the pana 80/85 and samsung 6 series for lcd there both probably the best without spending tooooo much.... i suggest what you do before posting again is go into a tv store look at ALL the tvs they have on display see which ones you like in your price range(when your there ask if they can put up a movie and also tv shows) nd then startin picking em apart (also look at avsforums as someone said above...they have HEAPS of stuff to read on)

personally i like plasmas :p

as for the other room thing.... i think what shockz was talking about is the not-so-good viewing angles of SOME DLPs which daxbash took a little too literally about watching tv from another room..... :rolleyes:

Berserk87

thanks for explaining that :p

i heard that plasma was worse for gaming...true or faux?

shockz
thanks for explaining that :p

i heard that plasma was worse for gaming...true or faux?

It depends..

Static images have an issue with burn in on lower end plasmas... so scores, or maps might burn into the screen

But LCDS blur pretty bad with high paced motion... even w/ 120hz.. but don't burn in... although there is something similar called image retention... but you'd have to have the same static image for a pretty long time.

I myself probably wouldn't play games on a plasma... even though I haven't had any issues w/ burn in on mine yet....

iZoom

I went with LCD for two reasons:

Plasma's were heavy and the "possible" burn-in issue associated with lower-end models

and

DLP's horrendus off-angle viewing, despite having a great on-angle picture

Pseudonym

tbh the "burn-in" argument is pretty much moot these days. It was a massive issue in the early generations but now basically all plasmas have a system which moves the image imperceptibly to prevent it burning in as do a lot of games designed for consoles. Just make sure the plasma you buy has this feature, the disadvantages of cheap LCDs are the blur and the blacks, which look a lot richer on Plasma (particularly the 10th gen Pioneer I mentioned earlier).

Berserk87

awesome, thanks for straightning that out.

i kept hearing on/off things about both, and some of the arguments seem'd really dated :s

shockz
tbh the "burn-in" argument is pretty much moot these days. It was a massive issue in the early generations but now basically all plasmas have a system which moves the image imperceptibly to prevent it burning in as do a lot of games designed for consoles. Just make sure the plasma you buy has this feature, the disadvantages of cheap LCDs are the blur and the blacks, which look a lot richer on Plasma (particularly the 10th gen Pioneer I mentioned earlier).

You've got to be really careful with off brands and lower end model ($1200 less~) plasmas.

I worked at a best buy in the home theater dept and quit only 3 months ago... and my last week there we had a low end samsung ($1399 for a 50") with the "pixel shift" feature on and it still got burn in... we were able to wash it out but you really do get what you pay for.

Some guy forgot to turn the tv of when we closed... and every now and then the video feed freezes and we have to reset it... well it froze that night and since nobody was there to reset it... the tv just burned away while we were gone..

Edited by shockz

deuz

seen any you like yet?

shoCkz: you guys got 7 series samsung or getting the 8 series in US

iZoom
I worked at a best buy in the home theater dept and quit only 3 months ago...

Berserk87

we were looking at a 46" Plasma for $2500.

a friend at work said he was at his buddys house playing COD, on a fairly new plasma, and he was getting screen burn from the map, they went and watched a movie, and you could see the map for a good 15 minutes before it disappeared.

and i game for hours straight.... =\

kinda scared of plasma now.

deuz

Image Retention is common still on plasmas..... but it usually does go away

with a new tv(plasma) ..its not really a good idea to play static images stright away...ie gaming. its probably better to run it in for a bit... like watch full screen stuff and keep the screen on low contrast for a while (200+hrs i heard)

but if your that scared look at a few lcds tho id still push ya for a plasma :D

SonComet

I have an 1150HD and a 50PZ800u and I game on both regularly. I've actually never seen image retention on the pioneer, but I didn't start gaming on it until about the 150 hour mark. The panasonic had image retention that was pretty noticeable when it was brand new (I didn't bother waiting for it to break in before playing games on it). But after the 100-200 hour mark you can see IR on a blank screen immediately after gaming, but if you switch to a full screen video input and then back it goes away almost instantly. The 1150HD has my PS3 and 360 hooked up to it. The 50PZ800u has my Wii on it. So while I wouldn't say plasmas are perfect for gaming, I don't have any issues. Though I wouldn't recommend any other brands for gaming at all, or running in the hideous vivid/dynamic modes.

Edited by SonComet

iZoom

I can't believe they put those modes on tvs for consumers. I tried flipping over to NBC for a minute with that mode on and it made everything

look horrible. I had it on standard or cinema and the colors, competitors, and background all looked really smooth and clean. I loathe dynamic.