will you go to vista or wait for its replacement

will you go to vista or wait for its replacement especially if you going to buy a new computer. I hear vistas replacement will be lean and and much better than vista. Even microsoft beleives wants to forget the vista fiasco and wants its replacement as fast as possible. This is like the windows me era before xp came put

I hear vistas replacement will be lean and and much better than vista.

We know very little about Windows 7. The only things we do know are that it will have a slew of multitouch based features, in addition to being a rather minor architectural change from Vista. That is, it will be based on Vista, with bug fixes, improvements, and new features. Vista made gigantic changes to virtually every system in Windows. It was one of their biggest releases ever, and many of them were quite necessary for security and stability.

Even microsoft beleives wants to forget the vista fiasco and wants its replacement as fast as possible.

As 'fast as possible'?

They'll be releasing Windows 7 something like 3 years after Vista hit RTM (November 2006). How is that 'as fast as possible'?

This is like the windows me era before xp came put

Quite the contrary.

Windows ME was a last attempt to make a few bucks off of 9x before it finally died off entirely. Vista, as I just explained, has improved and solidified NT as Microsoft's future.

Just another comment. Should more companies have adopted vista at this point in time. Sspeak to a lot of it people and that said that they are stayng with xp. I think office 2007 had been adpopted faster.

As 'fast as possible'?

They'll be releasing Windows 7 something like 3 years after Vista hit RTM (November 2006). How is that 'as fast as possible'?

Get back to us when you make an OS in less time than that.

My point was that people seem to say "Oh! But they just released Vista, and they're already talking about 7?! That must mean Vista was a failure! They admit it!", and don't realize that 3-years is a perfectly normal OS release schedule, or more commonly: That it will have been 3 years.

Windows XP was an unusual release.

XP is obsolete. Microsoft was forced to pile on additional features after realizing that Vista's development was never going to make the expected and publicized deadlines. It has been patched up extensively to resemble a modern operating system. The shortcomings of the OS were becoming quite obvious when Microsoft released SP2. That unusual service pack actually brought new features, something that service packs don't typically do. It was necessary however, with Vista still three years away. Think of an OS so primitive that it didn't natively support wireless networks. That was XP before SP2.

XP has been around for a very long time - long enough for early adopters to forget the compatibility woes that it saw when it was first released. Plenty of people hailed the release of XP as Microsoft's last, after proclaiming that such a crappy OS was sure to herald the end of the company. Many late adopters never experienced compatibility issues, simply because of the amount of time that companies have had to adapt their software.

XP made people forget how long major revisions take to be released. Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP... Vista was by far the most time consuming release.

Vista brings a lot to the table. Actual security, for one, as well as much better support for current hardware devices. Much more efficient use of available memory.

If you're going to listen to how great the next version will be, then you will always be disappointed.

i tried vista, gave up due to hardware (tho it ran rather fine) ... on the otehr hand not sure about os's anymore (ms/apple) they seem to be too strict on video/audio/gaming ... then again as not to get gray hairs i will see what's up after it gets released

I am currently using Vista... I don't have any real complaints about it... it works just as well, if not better than XP did for me on my last computer. I am personally going to discontinue its use because I can't stand the hardware problems I have been having and am switching to a different OS with the purchase of a new laptop soon. That decision had nothing to do with Vista though, just going mac for other reasons.

well you could count the years between 98,98SE and me. heck since 2k was supposed to replace 98 before they changed they're minds, throw in that to, then we might as well include XP wich was like the net year again :)

I'm on Vista now, and I have been since before it was even out to the public. I have had very few problems with it on my laptop. I do agree that it was a bit rough around the edges when it first came out, but it's really nice now.

To answer the question...

I am currently on XP Pro SP3 because this PC cannot handle Vista well, but next summer I am getting a new one and Vista 64bit will be my choice.

EDIT: Please stop with this flaming and bitching before someone gets hurt.

I'm not sure how you can still ask this question after Vista's been out for so long. Those who are not using it simply do not have current generation hardware and are not able to run it. Operating system's don't really need to be made to support the 5 year old hardware that is quite obsolete, and I can see why businesses are not switching. Considering many business desktops are quite cheap [and for good reason, they don't need to be anything else], they do not need to run Vista.

Waiting for the replacement at this time just seems to mean that you haven't really tried vista, or you're waiting for better hardware. Quite honestly, though, vista runs well on older computers, you just need a good amount of RAM.

Lately I've been getting the impression that XP might've been very bad for the computer industry. Hardware vendors became too comfortable with it and forgot how to learn--Vista's demand for new drivers startled them so badly they couldn't think of anything to do but blame Microsoft while they tried to remember how to do something other than patch. IT guys who could've gone five years without learning anything new were suddenly reminded that technology meant being a student for life. No more wasting time calling their clients n00bs--time to become n00bs themselves.

It just strikes me as strange that someone certified with Windows in 2006 might not be any more (or less) skilled with the OS than someone certified in 2002. XP put so many people into a standstill, it's like they forgot they had legs.