Canon 50D and 18-200mm IS

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08082605canoneos50d.asp

Pre-Photokina2008: No surprises to hear that Canon has launched the much anticipated EOS 50D, an upgraded version of EOS 40D. On the surface it looks almost similar to its predecessor. However, there are quite a few significant improvements; fifteen megapixel CMOS sensor, faster DIGIC 4 processor, 3.0" VGA LCD monitor with Live View mode offering 3 AF modes, ISO sensitivity expandable to 12800 and an HDMI connection for high Quality Image viewing. It also includes a new Quick Control screen which shows the most commonly used settings and Creative Auto mode for automatic focus and exposure.

Features at a glance:

• 15.1 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
  • 6.3fps continuous shooting, max. burst 90 JPEGs with UDMA card
  • DIGIC 4 processor
  • ISO 100-3200, expandable to 12800
  • 9-point wide area AF
  • 3.0" Clear View VGA LCD with Live View mode & Face Detection Live AF
  • Magnesium alloy body, with environmental protection
  • EOS Integrated Cleaning System
  • HDMI connection for high quality viewing and playback on a High Definition TV
  • Full compatibility with Canon EF and EF-S lenses and EX-series Speedlites

EOS-50D-FRT-w-EF-S-17-85mm-IS-USM_001.jpg

Pre-Photokina 2008: Canon today has also introduced the EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Zoom lens. With an equivalent focal length of 29-320mm, the lens offers 11x zoom range. It also features a 16 element, 12 group construction including UD and aspherical lens elements and a 4-stop optical Image Stabilizer.

EF-S-18-200mm-f3.5-5.6-IS-SLANT_001.jpg

Amstelveen, The Netherlands, 26 August, 2008:

Canon today strengthens its EF-S series of lenses with the launch of a versatile new model: the EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. With an equivalent focal length of 29-320mm, the lens offers an 11x zoom range ? making it a powerful, lightweight alternative to carrying multiple lenses. The EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS is designed exclusively for use with EOS cameras featuring an EF-S lens mount ? including the new EOS 50D, EOS 1000D, EOS 450D, and earlier models.

[lHigh quality optics

The EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS features a 16 element, 12 group construction. This includes UD and aspherical lens elements, which minimise chromatic aberration and ensure crisp, corner-to-corner detail across the zoom range. A close focusing distance of just 45cm offers photographers total framing flexibility.

[/left]

[l4-stop Image Stabilizer

A Canon 4-stop optical Image Stabilizer ? specially designed for the lens' specific focal length range - works to counteract image blur that can occur when shooting handheld, or at slow shutter speeds. Automatic panning detection ensures effective performance when tracking moving subjects. Plus, because the IS system is based in the lens, results are visible through the viewfinder during framing.[/left]

No flare or ghostingng

Reflection off a digital camera's image sensor can cause flare and ghosting. To suppress this, the EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS uses optics treated with Canon's patented Super Spectra coatings ? for crisp, undistorted images with natural colour balance.[/left]

I'm still thinking about jumping ship and scoring a 5D, or even the MK-II. The 5D is already a proven landscape and portrait camera that is hardly surpassed. I keep thinking of how affordable they will be, but ugh. I really like the Nikon glass and their flash system is far better than Canons.

I'm still thinking about jumping ship and scoring a 5D, or even the MK-II. The 5D is already a proven landscape and portrait camera that is hardly surpassed. I keep thinking of how affordable they will be, but ugh. I really like the Nikon glass and their flash system is far better than Canons.

I'm sure there's an adequate substitute for your Nikon glass. ;)

5D + 17-40mm = landscapes. Add an 85mm 1.8 for portraits.

But yeah, Nikon's commander system is really sweet. Sometimes I wish I had it to trigger some flashes off camera--only fix for that is to spend some more cash or just use wires.

It doesn't sound like the 50D is an improvement over the 40D or atleast as not as much between the 30D and 40D. I will hold out to replace my 40D when the 60D comes out.

It doesn't sound like the 50D is an improvement over the 40D or atleast as not as much between the 30D and 40D. I will hold out to replace my 40D when the 60D comes out.

Picture%201.png

Done deal: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08082605canoneos50d.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08082604...-S_18-200mm.asp

From RG: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_pag...cid=7-9314-9568

Sensor The mostly-unchanged body houses a new 15.06 million image pixel, 22.3mm x 14.9mm CMOS sensor designed and manufactured by Canon. The sensor has a pixel pitch of 4.7?m square and has been engineered for improved light-gathering efficiency by both increasing each pixel's light sensitive area and by increasing the size of the microlens over each pixel. The microlens array is now gapless; each microlens covers a greater percentage of its pixel's surface area than any previous Canon digital SLR sensor.

This tech-speak, says Chuck Westfall, Technical Advisor at Canon USA, adds up to the 50D performing better at higher ISO settings than the 40D, despite the new camera's smaller pixels (4.7?m for the 50D vs 5.7?m for the 40DPurchasers of the 50D, says Westfall, can expect noise levels to be roughly 1 to 1.5 stops better in the high ISO range. For example, this means that a photo shot at ISO 3200 on the 50D is expected to have similar noise characteristics to one shot in the ISO 1100-1600 range on the 40D.

The Canon EOS 50D is slated to ship in early October 2008 at an expected street price of US$1399 in the U.S. The EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS is to ship at about the same time at an expected street price of US$699. The EOS 40D will continue to be sold in the U.S. through at least the end of 2008, says Westfall, at its recently-reduced price of US$1099./b>

Oh ok; i was a little confused.

Judging from that chart you have, and a price of $1200-1300, Nikon needs to drop the price on the D300 some more. (just in time for me to buy one :) )

Better noise performance and AF fine tuning are great additions. I bet that 18-200mm lens will cost though. UD and aspherical elements don't come cheap. Might actually be a decent lens for a superzoom though.

Ugh it looks like I got a lil ripped off getting my 450D, cost me $1400Au

That lens looks sweet though, any idea of pricing on that ?

Ugh it looks like I got a lil ripped off getting my 450D, cost me $1400Au

That lens looks sweet though, any idea of pricing on that ?

I heard a figure of $999 somewhere. I can't provide sources as I simply can't remember and I would treat the information as questionable myself. That said, it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable - there are other expensive EF-S lenses (like the brilliant 17-55mm f/2.8 IS). While I can't imagine this lens having stunning image quality, it has to be fairly costly to make with UD glass and aspherical elements, as well as its long zoom ratio and four stop IS. $999 might be accurate, might be a bit high, but don't expect this lens to be cheap.

On a note though, why only four stop IS? the EF 200mm f/2L IS I believe has five stop IS, you'd think Canon would put the latest and greatest version of their IS system in.