6 Pin on power supply

Im ready to purchase a MSI NX8800GT, seems like a pretty damn good card and will kill my 8500 GT that im running right now! Anyways, my power supply has the 6 pin connector, but does that mean i have enough power?

6501066_LABL.jpg

I figured, just wanted to make sure! Im not sure even if i was to upgrade my PS what i would get...i wouldn't need anything extreme just something more that 400 and that has the same connections as the current one and fits a micro atx case!

I'm not sure what Nvidia recommends, but a 400W PSU is probably just enough; although, I would be worried about the Amps and running the PSU at its max - you really shouldn't load your PSU to the max.

If you could, I would swing for a 500W or 550W to be safe and sure

I have a mATX case here, 1x 9800GTX+/Core 2 Duo E8500/2GB/1x HDD/1x DVD-RW...running on... a 350W :)

Works beautifully. :)

9800GTX+ = 230W

E8500 = 65W

And that's about all for the big power "suckers" :)

What stepping Q6600 is it mate? If it's a G0 - it's sub <-100W - So you 'should' be ok.

Also, can't you get a 9800GTX+ for a little more? These things OWN! :D

Like - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130376 maybe?

Ha i dont understand what you mean about stepping!

The 9600 and the 9800 series kicks ass no doubt, but wont work with OS X!

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz_146.zip - Run this (not sure it works with OS X :p)

It'll tell you what stepping your Q6600 is. If it's on older one it'll be about 115/120W's. If it's a G0 part - it'll be 90W. (It all helps!) - And somebody somewhere must be able to mod a driver for OS X :)

Yea I use CPUZ it's great! When I get home I'll run it and let u know what those specs are! As for a working kext for os x there is NONE for the 9600 or 9800 due to the new chipset in those cards.

Technically, those figures are for power dissipation and are not power draw..unless these chips turn 100% of the power drawn into heat, which makes them pretty much useless then. I made the same mistake for a while too.

Also, the Q6600 G0's had TDP's of 95W while the older B3's have TDP's of 105W. The 9800GTX+ has a TDP of 160W.

Technically, those figures are for power dissipation and are not power draw..unless these chips turn 100% of the power drawn into heat, which makes them pretty much useless then. I made the same mistake for a while too.

Also, the Q6600 G0's had TDP's of 95W while the older B3's have TDP's of 105W. The 9800GTX+ has a TDP of 160W.

So with my two saga hard drives and my dvdrw and the CPU could I run the 8800gt on a 400 watt ps?

I have a mATX case here, 1x 9800GTX+/Core 2 Duo E8500/2GB/1x HDD/1x DVD-RW...running on... a 350W :)

9800GTX+ = 230W

E8500 = 65W

I just built a rig this week with the 9800GTX, and I could hardly fit it in an Antec 300, not to mention a mATX case!!

9800GTX+ = 230W

E8500 = 65W

Um it's not about the max amount of power each PSU can give. Most computers won't use more than 500W. My main computer before power conversion loss takes 180W idle at the socket and 300W on load. I have a 8800GTS G92, Core 2 Extreme QX9650 overclocked, Asus Striker II NSE, and just because the combined power is less than 350W does not mean I can go out and put a 350W PSU in there. It might take (figuratively speaking) 250W on the +12V rail when the PSU can only provide 200W (Again, not all PSUs are the same).

What stepping Q6600 is it mate? If it's a G0 - it's sub <-100W - So you 'should' be ok.

That's the rated TDP, most of the time it won't hit that high in power consumption. For example, my Core 2 Extreme is rated at 125W (I think) and draws less than 65W on full load.

This helped me out a lot! Ok so now i understand that my PS will be ok ( for now) but i have questions about video cards ( may switch it up)

First-How can you tell if the car is G84, G86, G92 or g94?

Second-If comparing a 9600GSO to an 8800GT, which would be best? I think still the 8800 due to the 256-bit GDDR3 and more stream processors. Other than that with the two i compared everything else was the same!

You can tell which architecture it's based on by your model number. As for 9600GSO v. 8800GT, the 8800GT should edge it out...unless it's faster than the 9600GT, which isn't apparent from the model.

Which one? A lot of the newer mATX cases allow for full ATX PSUs.

Actually, just look it up yourself...google the model number and the manufacturer's site should tell you.

Which one? A lot of the newer mATX cases allow for full ATX PSUs.

Actually, just look it up yourself...google the model number and the manufacturer's site should tell you.

Thanks! Got board and just took the PS out and measured! I bought a cooler master 550..will be just fine..also picked up a 8800 GTS 640Mb...pretty happy i shuold have both by Friday!

I bought a cooler master 550..will be just fine..

Real power pro model?

also picked up a 8800 GTS 640Mb...pretty happy i shuold have both by Friday!

This is an old GTS that is slower then the 8800GT.