Vista Annoyances Resolved

Useless. Windows Vista design is garbage, that's problem #1. Totally not intuitive. Everytime i use Vista i feel 'pain' in my fingers because of mouse clicking.

UAC is annoying, it's off here.

Superfetch, don't care about it cause my system is pumped out by 8Gb of RAM and RAID 0 HDD setup. To me off or on makes no difference.

Windows Search, i agree Windows Search 4.0 works much better. Also i noticed that new windows installer 4.5 is really good.

DX10.0 ?!? I want to see OpenGL 3.0 in action.

Overall we need new OS.

Dude what the hella re you doing that makes you "click" so much more often then in xp that you feel "pain" that makes no sense. I don't really have to click more in vista then i do in xp at all...

And honestly I think it's just dumb that people turn UAC off when there is silent mode. Microsoft REALLY should have included silent mode as an option in the gui which is much better than turning it off.

Master Control Program: I am so very disappointed in you.

Master Control Program: You've enjoyed all the power you've been given, haven't you? I wonder how you'd take to working in a pocket calculator.

Master Control Program: End of line!

What the hell?

probably one of the best articles i've read on the internet, thus far. i very much enjoyed the first 3 pages of the article as it sums up all the key FUD arguments apple makes in their Mac vs. PC marketing campaign and why consumers have been migrating to macs from pc's. he's right though: most consumers are ignorant(props to apple for taking advantage of that)

Useless. Windows Vista design is garbage, that's problem #1. Totally not intuitive. Everytime i use Vista i feel 'pain' in my fingers because of mouse clicking.

Superfetch, don't care about it cause my system is pumped out by 8Gb of RAM and RAID 0 HDD setup. To me off or on makes no difference.

Windows Search, i agree Windows Search 4.0 works much better. Also i noticed that new windows installer 4.5 is really good.

Overall we need new OS.

Okay, that pain in your fingers is from carpel tunnel syndrome. Read up on it. It's the result of ultra-excessive computer usage, or should I say mouse clicking. UAC isn't annoying, it's helpful. Maybe you should research on what it actually does instead of seeing it as a nuisance just because you have to click two more times than you normally would. I won't even bother with the rest of what you said. facepalmpo2.gif

Overall we need new OS.

Are your other 130 posts this ridiculous? You're a prime example of the types of users who don't know any better, a fact well stated in the article.

That is by far one of the best written, most balanced articles on Vista, and Windows in general that I've read. I bookmarked that site as well; he seems to have a pretty good blog with other good info in it. I need to send the link to my father. He's one of the ones that has never spent 1 minute with Vista but thinks it's the greatest blunder in computer history and there's no way he'd ever install it on his computer.

Windows Vista design is garbage, that's problem #1

Sorry jjrambo, but you don't have a clue of what you're really talking about.

great article, especially the Constantly Changing Folder Views and Indexing Options

That's one of the beauties of Windows Server 2008. There's not one folder where Windows attempts to adjust automatically the view based on what's inside the folder itself (Pictures, Music, etc.) They're all the default view.

Overall we need new OS.

weeeee lets all get 8GB of RAM and a RAID system... courtesy of jjrambo of course.

:whistle:

weeeee lets all get 8GB of RAM and a RAID system... courtesy of jjrambo of course.

:whistle:

The irony is that SuperFetch was designed for high-memory systems, and it really shines on 4GB+ machines. The RAID 0 setup just means it can fill that memory faster after boot-up.

The irony is that SuperFetch was designed for high-memory systems, and it really shines on 4GB+ machines. The RAID 0 setup just means it can fill that memory faster after boot-up.

D'oh! :uberhump:

heh, yeah I was feeling a major facepalm coming up from his post :)

jjrambo:it sounds like you have not used vista and have not given it a chance. before bashing vista you could do something called research and testing.Superfetch is great even with 2GB but even if you don't have raid it will still work fine.

I do have superfetch enabled. I tested my system without it, i see no difference in performance. My improvement was when i went from single to raid hdd setup, not so much from Superfetch. So anyway it's ON. UAC is useless to me. The last time i got Virus or Malicious Worm was back in 1996. I know what i'm doing, so UAC is really useless to me and whole run as Administrator crap. There is nothing UAC can protect me from that i'm not aware of. As I said i know what i'm doing when i go to Internet and etc. Btw i'm only user on my computer. Windows Defender + Windows Firewall + AVG8 + Hardware Router is enough for me.

GUI in Vista sucks cause everything requires extra click. When you save file in Windows XP you had nice buttons Desktop, Network, My Computer on left side of save file dialog. In Vista you have ****ing scroll up and down, you just get tired of it doing over and over for each file cause stupid thing never remembers your last location.

Windows Applications and GUI itself is so unconsistent, and it appears that all those modules of Windows are chopped from different OSs and somebody put them together with AERO Glass on top of it. AERO Glass is great but unfortunately applied to wrong design. I think Office 2007 GUI is solution for future Windows GUI and I hope they will do it. I use Vista x64 since December. I can't really complain about Software and Hardware support for Vista x64. It's really going well there. I don't suffer from bad performance as well, and i can't cause whole system runs on Quad CPU with GTX280 SLI and 8GB + Raid 0 Setup (it's perfect for gaming and my work in VS2008). My complain is mostly about GUI, and oh well UAC. But i see it useful for other people, to protect them from themselves first and then from outside world.

Windows Search 4.0 is good, runs fast even though i don't use it that much, but it can be very useful if you really have a lot of 'junk' in your computer.

When is Microsoft going to upgrade useless WordPad, Paint ?

Edited by jjrambo

You have some valid complaints about the GUI, I personally do not like the save dialogue as well (And the fact that many other programs still use the old one making everything inconsistent) but UAC is one of the BEST things to happen to windows in the security department although of course you are free to turn it off.

My complain is mostly about GUI, and oh well UAC. But i see it useful for other people, to protect them from themselves first and then from outside world.

Windows Search 4.0 is good, runs fast even though i don't use it that much, but it can be very useful if you really have a lot of 'junk' in your computer.

If GUI is your main concern, then change it. Use WindowBlinds, use a VS, turn off various things in Folder Options. There are many options available to change the look of Vista.

Also, UAC does much more than provide a slim level of protection most users erroneously think they have covered by using their AV/Firewall solution of choice.

Great article. XP was given alot of bad spotlight when it was new, and Vista is no exception. I do however agree that the system requirements are quite harsh but even then it's not that bad.

Having bought a Mac and pretty much getting a lemon, I'm in the market for a Vista laptop and I'm pretty sure Toshiba is the way to go. HP is good but I need a 13.3" and those mini-PC are too small!

What UAC can provide any user experienced or not is huge shield a Wall as you might say, When you visit a website for example could be any site even Neowin that someone could have uploaded a small peace of Maleware in to the site so when ya visit the site it will auto download in the background of your system now what UAC will do is see that and stop it before it goes any further then sitting on the system and UAC will prompted you that this file wants access to your system so you click No or Cancel and it then cuts that program in half and throws it in large 256MB or something directory and the file sees a VR version of your system.

Now once it sees the VR version of your system it does not know the difference so it assume it has full control of your system your administrative privileges are for it to take as it assumes it has one. now this also applys to Viruses and other forms of infection that can come across files and or in the background of your system Via a Website

I do have superfetch enabled. I tested my system without it, i see no difference in performance. My improvement was when i went from single to raid hdd setup, not so much from Superfetch. So anyway it's ON. UAC is useless to me. The last time i got Virus or Malicious Worm was back in 1996. I know what i'm doing, so UAC is really useless to me and whole run as Administrator crap. There is nothing UAC can protect me from that i'm not aware of. As I said i know what i'm doing when i go to Internet and etc. Btw i'm only user on my computer. Windows Defender + Windows Firewall + AVG8 + Hardware Router is enough for me.

GUI in Vista sucks cause everything requires extra click. When you save file in Windows XP you had nice buttons Desktop, Network, My Computer on left side of save file dialog. In Vista you have ****ing scroll up and down, you just get tired of it doing over and over for each file cause stupid thing never remembers your last location.Windows Applications and GUI itself is so unconsistent, and it appears that all those modules of Windows are chopped from different OSs and somebody put them together with AERO Glass on top of it. AERO Glass is great but unfortunately applied to wrong design. I think Office 2007 GUI is solution for future Windows GUI and I hope they will do it. I use Vista x64 since December. I can't really complain about Software and Hardware support for Vista x64. It's really going well there. I don't suffer from bad performance as well, and i can't cause whole system runs on Quad CPU with GTX280 SLI and 8GB + Raid 0 Setup (it's perfect for gaming and my work in VS2008). My complain is mostly about GUI, and oh well UAC. But i see it useful for other people, to protect them from themselves first and then from outside world.

Then it's pretty obvious that UAC wasn't designed for you in mind, I'm in the same boat, but that doesn't make me spout off and cry useless crap. Turn it off in the user accounts area in the control panel. That was hard.

Huh? I save things and they don't require an extra click, as of right now I think you're just making things up as you go along. If you don't like the OS, that's fine.. not going to hurt my feelings, but don't spout useless drivel.

Also, if the GUI is inconsistent that means you have several programs that have their own unique skin. There is nothing Microsoft can do about that. That choice was made by the designer of the program. I run hundreds of programs, and only a few have their own unique skin. It's really not that big of an issue because.. there isn't anything you can do about it.

Sigh.. I don't want to sound mean, but come on, use your head once and awhile.

WordPad and Paint are meant to be simple, instant-launch programs without any bells and whistles. Wordpad lets you edit text. Paint lets you resize, crop, annotate, and do basic editing on images. They aren't useless, and Microsoft will be sued if they bundle Microsoft-grown programs that can actually compete feature-wise with other programs such as Photoshop or Paint.NET.