Is 1.5Mbps a fast Internet Speed?

Wow, old thread is old. 1.5 Mbps is really slow, I pull better than that over 3G. I now have Roadrunner and get 20+Mbps (30 Mbps with turbo). DOCSIS 3.0 is being rolled out over the summer, so our speeds will increase to 30/5

1.5 Mbps is miserable :-S

i have 50 Mbps for about 9.94 $ (google converted value)

speedtest.net results -> 45-47Mbps download 8-10 Mbps upload

Dude, this person last posted on Mar 28 2011 21:46 and has a total of 177 posts so I really would be surprised if he came back to look at a thread from 2008!?

Ah this thread should be locked then. I usually don't pay attention to the dates.

My sympathies. I can only get 4mbps myself, but that's what happens if you don't live in a major city or live far away from the exchange. Perhaps when BT or someone else gets around to doing FTTH in my area, I'll be able to get 50mbps or greater, but until then, I'll have to be satisfied with snail pace internet :/

1.5 Mbps is miserable :-S

i have 50 Mbps for about 9.94 $ (google converted value)

speedtest.net results -> 45-47Mbps download 8-10 Mbps upload

/me cries ... :|

It depends on the country.. I have a 250mbit connection and here in portugal it's HARD to get BELLOW 6mbit. I don't know anyone in Portugal who has anything less than a 60mbit connection.

It depends on the country.. I have a 250mbit connection and here in portugal it's HARD to get BELLOW 6mbit. I don't know anyone in Portugal who has anything less than a 60mbit connection.

Even in rural areas? It's unusual to have such high speeds everywhere unless you have country wide fiber optic cable.

I'm on a ADSL2+ service (8Mbps downstream/1Mbps upstream). I get about 150GB for about $70AU.

lol, I'm in a town in Central Queensland (600km north of Brisbane) and I get ADSL2+ too except I get 16mbps down / 1mbps up. with 200GB limit for the same price. I'm with Bigpond.

Download speed is about 1.4 - 1.6 MBytes/s

I have to agree with the rest that 1.5mbps is too slow at today's standard but is suitable for basic internet users. Too slow in a world where movie, music and games download services is in mainstream.

Crikey, i last had internet as slow as 1.5meg in 2003 :s

50meg down / 5meg up here, ?35.99 a month

4Mb/sec here on Qwest in my apartment complex, thats fairly slow, but much faster than my moms 1.5Mbps yahoo dsl.

Um, I'm on roadrunner and the down is actually 7meg, at least in my area (Charlotte, NC)

Take it from me I went from Roadrunner to AT&T dsl 3.0 and its sucks compaired to RR, I only switched because I lost my job and couldn't afford it. I have had AT&T since October of last year and have had nothing but problems with it, so now I have had free internet since Oct :p

Roadrunner in that area has a pretty big selection of speeds.... And no data caps like AT&T

Internet

Road Runner? Broadband (10 Mbps download, 1 Mbps upload) $57.95/mo

Road Runner? Broadband Turbo (15 Mbps download, 1 Mbps upload)

-Requires subscription to Road Runner? Broadband Additional $9.95/mo

to Broadband rate

Road Runner? Broadband Extreme (30 Mbps download, 5 Mbps upload)

Requires subscription to Road Runner? Broadband

-Includes Wireless Home Networking Additional $20.00/mo

to Broadband rate

Wideband Internet (50 Mbps download, 5 Mbps upload)

-Includes Wireless Home Networking $99.95/mo

Road Runner? Basic (1.5 Mbps download, 256 kpbs upload) $40.95/mo

Road Runner? Lite (768 kbps download, 128 kbps upload) $30.95/mo

What?!?! They have 20 Mbps in Canada? Damn you! :D The fastest I've used was the university residence's Internet, which is usually around 10 Mbps. As for off-campus residential, the fastest I've seen was 5 - 6 Mbps.

I got 60 Mbps, on the south shore of Montreal ;-) And they even offer 120 Mbps .. but it's quite expensive !

On a good day I get better than 1.5 on my phone, I would kill someone if I had to use it at home too

I have rogers extreme plus - 125GB capped, 25MB download and 1MB upload, $70 before taxes.

I have the one down from you.. 80GB cap, 15MB down, 1MB up.

Also, why was a 2008 thread bumped :(

Crikey, i last had internet as slow as 1.5meg in 2003 :s

50meg down / 5meg up here, ?35.99 a month

The south has much better speeds than the north. At least as far as I can tell. And you live on the south coast :D As a matter of interest, what ISP are you with? I'm assuming you either have cable or FTTH.

I'm on the north east coast, and I can only get adsl at poor speeds.

Edit: I just noticed your sig. Ignore the question about the ISP :D

Yea, if you're just surfing the web it doesn't matter. I can't tell the difference between 1mbps, 15mbps, and 40mpbs which I use all on a regular basis between home and work. If you're downloading though... big difference.

This is what's available where I live. (I have the 60/60 line) - Before I moved I had Internet through a cable company ( 100 / 7 )

16-05-2011 20-18-33.png

For price comparison:

1 EUR is about 7,9 NOK

1 USD is about 5,2 NOK

btw, my speedtest.net signature is outdated.

Yea, if you're just surfing the web it doesn't matter. I can't tell the difference between 1mbps, 15mbps, and 40mpbs which I use all on a regular basis between home and work. If you're downloading though... big difference.

Also, I think it depends on what you're downloading. I can't always fill my pipe even though I'm only on 4mbps. It must frustrate you even more if you've got a 50mbps pipe and can't even fill 10% of it :D

Wow, $17 for 1.5 connection. I feel pretty bad for you folks living in the States. I'm paying the same amount and getting telephone for the same price. And my connection speed is, well see below...