IE8 and Privacy

what's private browsing actually used for? afaik it's just a few options that every browser already has put into one single panel, aka not all that useful.

from what I understand, Private Browsing is quite different from just clearing browsing history, it's more about not leaving any info, cookie, cache, etc. on the disk during private browsing, while not affecting those data saved before when not under private browsing.

It'd be a very nice feature in that way. So far for Firefox and Opera, you can clear all the browsing history, but that'll clear everything, so to achieve similar functionality, you need to tinker with the profiles, and remember to switch to the right profile between non-private/private browsing.

Safari offers a Private Browsing, but Apple's offering is not really doing its job right at clearing your traces thoroughly in Private Browsing, for example cache and cookies during private browsing are not cleared, which basically defeats the purpose of Private Browsing.

So if IE8 can deliver private browsing as promised, then it'd be one of the few cases where IE has done it and done it RIGHT first. And it'd be quite a handy feature, for example if I'm using my friend's computer to login to online forums, I don't need to remember to log out every time, same goes to web mails, other online services, etc.

Interesting feature, but what about scripts that are hosted by their developers? I embed scripts that are hosted on Google Code and some of Yahoo's APIs - will these get blocked?

Private browsing can be very useful on public terminals that everyone can use, like the computers in the Apple store, for example. I'm glad to see it's being added in IE8.

Interesting feature, but what about scripts that are hosted by their developers? I embed scripts that are hosted on Google Code and some of Yahoo's APIs - will these get blocked?

well, judging from the description, it seems they will be blocked by InPrivate Blocking, but I'm sure they'll have a whitelist so those more famous public javascript frameworks hosted in their sites will bypass the block.

And there's the InPrivate Subscription so it can update the blocklist and whitelist online.

So far it looks quite good on paper, let's wait for the real thing.