• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

features you disabled in Vista?

theyarecomingforyou    10,425
Unfortunately I still have to use Vista at and for work but at home I have disabled it altogether by wiping it off my primary machines.

So you have Vista but aren't using it? Seems like a waste of money to me, especially when you have a DX10 graphics card - you're missing out on extras in games like Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, STALKER: Clear Sky, Crysis, etc.

NEway, I can't even remember what I've disabled but it's quite a lot of stuff that I, and 95% of the users, will probably never use (internet printing, remote assistance, etc).

bobbytomorow    0
So you have Vista but aren't using it? Seems like a waste of money to me, especially when you have a DX10 graphics card - you're missing out on extras in games like Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, STALKER: Clear Sky, Crysis, etc.

NEway, I can't even remember what I've disabled but it's quite a lot of stuff that I, and 95% of the users, will probably never use (internet printing, remote assistance, etc).

I suppose what you see as an advantage I see as a disadvantage.

I have tried and tried again with vista and dx10 and I have come to the conclusion that a smooth frame rate with cranked gfx is much better than a massive performance hit in exchange for insignificant visual differences.

I can re-install vista whenever in my rigs its simply not worth it if you are a gamer and/or power user. I like my resources free for games and apps thank you very much.

Something opening one second faster is meaningless if it runs 25% slower :)

minkcar    0
UAC and Security Center (and its warnings).

Oh, and the Sidebar, if that counts.

Same

iZoom    2

One thing I have noticed is the lack of effect of processes having effects in games on my machine.

I can open Counterstrike:Source (older I know), Team Fortress 2, or Mass Effect with more services enabled and less services enabled

and the game plays the same. If anything, in CS:S and TF2, my gameplay is affected by what I have using the internet rather than what

my PC is doing or not doing at the time. I don't have a cutting edge rig, but I can play above 60 fps steady in all three games mentioned.

So those who say things are running slower must have another problem besides the OS. What I'm going to laugh at is when all these people

waiting for Windows 7 complain that their games still run slow. If thats the case, which I can't predict at this point, I'm just going to sit back

and enjoy with a smug smile on my face.

bobbytomorow    0
So those who say things are running slower must have another problem besides the OS. What I'm going to laugh at is when all these people

waiting for Windows 7 complain that their games still run slow. If thats the case, which I can't predict at this point, I'm just going to sit back

and enjoy with a smug smile on my face.

Yeah because all of the millions of gamers that complain of performance issues must simply be noobs and have no right to complain about slow performance. Right. Also in regards to W7 I think that gamers are more hoping rather than waiting. Hoping that by that time dx10/11 will actually be worthwhile and W7 actually delivers on something other than empty promises and bloatware "bling".

ViperAFK    797

For every gamer complaining about issues there are tons more gaming in vista with no problems.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2302498,00.asp

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_nv...ate/default.asp

Vista can achieve the same fps in many games often it's almost always user error or a driver issue (both no fault of vista's)

Lindkvist    12

Disabled aero here, since ATI and Aero don't go well together (VPU recovering and atikmdag.sys BSOD).

Don't know if it's the drivers or Vista, there's no problem in XP.

other then that it's just Security center, Defender and the firewall since ESET does the job for me.

Owen W    53
Disabled aero here, since ATI and Aero don't go well together (VPU recovering and atikmdag.sys BSOD).

Don't know if it's the drivers or Vista, there's no problem in XP.

other then that it's just Security center, Defender and the firewall since ESET does the job for me.

Really? Thats interesting, I've had the atimdag.sys recover, but only when using multiple monitors...

seems like my ATI and Aero are friends?

iZoom    2

If you read my post, I never said that no problems exist...only that the issue likely lies with the drivers or the game, not the OS.

Do not put words in my mouth. I agree with the fact that there are two sides to the issue as always...those who have problems and

have yet to resolve them and those who have had a single problem. Obviously, somewhere along the line people are doing something

that the rest of the community isn't or else everyone would be unable to play their games.

Gabe3    12

UAC and windows defender

Gabe3    12

UAC and windows defender

bob_c_b    13
Not really, It tends to cause more problems then it fixes, I just use Acronis True Image onto an external drive so I can restore my machine directly to a older date.

As for features I turn off, None, no reason to on a Modern PC.

I have never had system restore cause an issue, in fact I use it whenever i try demos just to keep the registry cleaner. CCleaner is nice for times when that doesn't make sense, but I love system restore (have since XP).

As for turnign stuff off, I agree with veg, no reason to do that on a modern system. I had Sidebar turned off on my old monitor but I'm going to turn it back on now that I have so much more space.

Lindkvist    12
Really? Thats interesting, I've had the atimdag.sys recover, but only when using multiple monitors...

seems like my ATI and Aero are friends?

Yeah, i'm using a dual monitor setup, so that's why i've disabled Aero.

Forgot to add that :)

Don't know if it's the same with a single display on my system.

Carlos11    0

After reading this topic:

I have disabled Superfetch, Windows Defender, Tablet and ReadyBoost services.

For some reason my PC backs from sleep mode faster and the desktop is ready for use right after (no more gaps and mouse freezing/unmovable until it is really ready to use). The HD usage after backing from sleep is almost none now.

Maybe it's too soon to jump on conclusions but things that were always annoying me seem to be gone. It's like a clean install... :)

iZoom    2

I can agree with Defender & Tablet. Superfetch is always debated (despite the facts pointing towards the positives), but disabling

Readyboost is generally frowned upon due its use during boot. The Readyboot part of Readyboost has certainly shown me its worth

over time and disabling isn't doing you much good.

bjoswald    210

Sidebar, Windows Tour, sound schemes, Tablet PC Optional Components, Games, Internet Printing Services, Windows Meeting Space, and a few other miscellaneous tidbits. I don't actually remove anything, however. I just merely disable them. :)