Windows Longhorn

It is an alpha. It is in its infancy of developement. There will be some things that run fine, but I would say that most things would have problems funtioning normally. Hardware and software alike.

I am asking this 'cause I am brazilian and I am a user of a forum there, and they are thinking Windows LH isn't going to be compatible with the nowadays softwares...

ahh, well, the final will most likely not support most of todays software because it will have a new file system called 'winfs' or Windows File System.

ahh, well, the final will most likely not support most of todays software because it will have a new file system called 'winfs' or Windows File System.

:ermm: i doubt that comment to be true, as most of the software built today is NTFS Compliant and even older software too works on Windows 2000/XP w/o any updates and was built when Microsoft only had FAT/FAT32 for consumers. The "9x" days.

:ermm: i doubt that comment to be true, as most of the software built today is NTFS Compliant and even older software too.

It is true, because Longhorn WILL NOT use NTFS. Longhorn will use a NEW file system called WINFS.

so we are going to loose a lot of app's?

It is true, because Longhorn WILL NOT use NTFS. Longhorn will use a NEW file system called WINFS.

Yes it will have a new File System.

But You have no proof to say that all software won't work. thats an assumption, as i assume it'll be fine.

Assume as you wish, I am just using logic.

This version of windows will be almost completly different from what we have seen before, as indicated by the white papers and specifications of Longhorn by Microsoft, the new file system is 'relational' - there will be no C:\ drive or D:\ drive what so ever, so this in it self is going to cause a number of problems with installers. Secondly Microsoft is hinting to the fact that DLLs will be changed significantly to solve many problems (as seen in Windows Server 2003) this is more than likely to be in effect with Longhorn to a greater extent. Thirdly the GUI is going to be '3D' accelerated, from what I have heard this may also cause problems with applications that are not written to recognise this.

They've also upgraded the version of NTFS 3 times, with no problems relating to installing or running legacy apps because of the file system. I've never seen an app that specifies the file system that must be used.