Are Blu Ray Players Ever Going to be Cheap?

why are you posting the prices of internal, or even external, pc drives though ?

they have zero relevance, you still need a fairly beefy HTPC to play the BD's.

that only makes sense for peopel like me who allready have that. And if you allready have a htpc, then a standalone bd player woudn't make much sense either.

why are you posting the prices of internal, or even external, pc drives though ?

they have zero relevance, you still need a fairly beefy HTPC to play the BD's.

that only makes sense for peopel like me who allready have that. And if you allready have a htpc, then a standalone bd player woudn't make much sense either.

I made the post because it plays Blu-rays. If someone has a PC with a graphics card around or better than a Radeon X1600 or Nvidia 8500GT and a CPU around 2 Ghz Duo Core 2 then a internal drive could be a nice option. I dont have a dedicated HTPC setup where its connected to a TV all the time, i just connect it if i want to watch a DVD movie.

^ a witty stab at the multiple profile versions for Blu-Ray. Some considered Blu-Ray incomplete since it wasn't standardized across the board for software and hardware compatibility (additional features wise, not the actual film)

^ a witty stab at the multiple profile versions for Blu-Ray. Some considered Blu-Ray incomplete since it wasn't standardized across the board for software and hardware compatibility (additional features wise, not the actual film)

This has caused certain groups to spread FUD , saying that new movies on the later profiles will not play on earlier players, which is entirely false.

pretty much all video extras will play in profile 1.0, just the stuff added in 1.1 and 2.0, namely PiP and BDLive won't work in 1.0 players.

Btw.. to show you exactly what I"m talking about.. I will show you 2 frames here.. one is full 1080p frame and the one is 720p frame upscaled to 1080p just like your player does for the TV.

As you will see..there is ZERO difference. Both screenshots are taken from Blu-Ray.com so you are not thinking I did something to them..the only thing that is done is that 720p frame was naturally stretched to 1080p (upscaled) the same way your TV/Player will do.

No offence buddy, but I wonder what is it you are smoking, I mean come on, if these two pics look even remotely the same then you must be watching them on the most crappiest of monitor's. Personally I can't even imagine a monitor so bad that you couldn't see the day & night difference between the two pics.

Who says they can see the difference, I would probably say they are under the placebo effect.

Hmm.. placebo effect you say, I say blind if you cannot see the difference.

PS: I am viewing the pics you posted on a Dell Uptrasharp 24" monitor.