• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

I can't get rid of the "network login" on startup

Question

fierybow    0

Hi, I'm new to Neowin and I'm not that good at network related things. I recently installed a fresh copy of Windows XP on my Dell Latitude D630 and was hooking it up to the Internet with an ethernet cable. I couldn't figure out how to get it working because when I plugged it in, it still couldn't access the web. I went to the Control Panel, then to the Network Connections. I saw a connection called "1394 Connection". Not knowing what it was, I assumed it was the ethernet connection and I double clicked it, clicked on the support tab, and then clicked Repair. I got a pop-up that said:

"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection. Cannot proceed."

So I clicked on the Properties for the 1394 Connection, selected "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and installed the client component. In the box where it says, "This connection uses the following items:", it added "Client Service for NetWare". It then prompted me to restart my computer. When I did, at the login screen, it brought me to something like this: networkremotelogin00.gif

The only difference from the image is that there was no "Log on to:" box and my username was already filled in the "User name:" box. However, before I installed the Netware thing, my login screen was like this: winxppro.png

When I enter my password and log in at the "network login" screen, it brings me to my regular account with all my settings the same and all my programs completely installed. When I shut down my computer, it also brings me to the "network shutdown" screen instead of the friendly shut down screen.

How do I get the regular startup and shutdown back?

Thanks so much!

4 answers to this question

I8PP    11

1394 Connection is Firewire, not your ethernet... so you can undo those changes you've made with that connection.

As for getting the welcome screen back, go into User Accounts, "Change the way users log on and off" and check "use welcome screen"

LiqHead    0

Sounds like you need to reload the drivers for your laptop first off.

You also need to uninstall the netware crap.

fierybow    0

Ok, I did all of those things. Everything is just like the way it was now.

Thanks!

Grogi    0

Deinstall Client Service for NetWare and IPX/SPX protocol on both network adapters (LAN and 1394). You are just using TCP/IP.