XP vs. Vista

non.sequitur
That ("copy c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\cmd.src") does not work,

requires Administrator elevated command prompt. "jagex" seems to run UAC disabled...

Didn't create "exploited.txt" file to system folder (Corrupted few shortcuts though...).

Tried, but running mmc.exe gave "Class not registered" error.

(Test system were Vista Ultimate, SP1, UAC enabled)

You're right dude. Windows Vista is the first 100% secure OS in the history of the world. Great job, Microsoft. Now when do I get my check in the mail?

RAID 0

So why buy eight gigs when you can only use four? Oh, you didn't know XP wouldn't use all that RAM, did you? If you did... why waste the money? Either way, FAIL. "Hey guys! I put this mad crazy V-8 in my car, but only four cylnders fire... it's totally cool though!"

Actually smoking weed is illegal and you can't "do to your body what you choose".

That depends on where you live and what you have IE. 215 card, and yes.. yes I can.

+Dick Montage
How is gaming on Vista compared to XP ?

I can't compare, as I never really gamed under XP. But - on my Vista laptop (2 did, dual core, dedicated graphics) - I can run Crysis just fine.

You're right dude. Windows Vista is the first 100% secure OS in the history of the world. Great job, Microsoft. Now when do I get my check in the mail?

Nobody ever claimed it was. Stop acting like a kid.

non.sequitur
I disagree - I would say that we would have the exact same issue. If not more. Vista - XP is actually a smaller change than 98 - XP.

So you contradict your previous statement?

They did. XP was the first time that you could say no to the EULA and demand a refund from your PC supplier. Linux has seen MASSIVE increases during the XP era.

How quickly we forget. XP had MASSIVE driver issues at launch that eclipse the Vista ones.

Actually I can. I have been using Vista since Gold, and never had ANY problems whatsoever. Maybe I couldn't get a driver for my pretty obscure graphics tablet - but that's a manufacturer issue, not Vista. And it was resolved within a month.

Sorry, but please don't tell me what I can and cannot say, as you are not me, and don't have my experiences.

When I say "you can't say" something, that's an expression. You can of course say whatever you want. But I wouldn't go screaming fire in a crowded theatre anytime soon.

Have you seen all the magazine articles bashing Vista? I get like 6 tech mags in the mail, and Vista is getting pounded. That didn't happen with XP as I remember. I do use Vista but I hate the random crashes and lockups, and the times where the OS just "lags" and you wonder what it's doing. That annoying to me to the point that I just use XP most of the time. Every Vista machine I have dual boots to XP since Vista just isn't good enough right now. Games speed is close now, but the Steam problems are annoying, as are the "not responding" messages when things crash. I get none of that in XP.

Kenji
Now I know that's a load of crap, and so do you, Mr. Gates. What are you doing in these forums anyway, I thought you stepped down? Go watch your 1000" plasma TV.

Let's pretend for a second that you believe your delusions. Doesn't it bother you that you could have been running XP better, that whole time? Why suffer for nothing?

You're wrong, it isnt a load of crap. If it was, I would not have said it. Calling me bill gates just because i have never had a problem with Vista is real mature. :rolleyes:

ok, but have you played same games with 1 gig and that P3, with that config you can barely run games on XP .... not to mention vista. I am realy sure that you can run vista with 512 mb ram and 1 GHz cpu ... but how long It will take to run wordpad .. hmm...

I wouldn't even try to play games with that setup what ever OS it uses. As far as I remember, All apps loaded as fast as they did with XP, if not, faster.

PermaSt0ne
Actually I use a little less than half with XP. I'm not on XP x64, never said I was. I don't write Windows drivers. Actually smoking weed is illegal and you can't "do to your body what you choose".

possessing weed is illegal, not smoking. and there are even some states where it's legalized

and like Dazzy, i have also had no problems with vista since day one it came out. i built a new computer since i was upgrading anyways i bought vista ultimate x64 and unlike most people, i only installed software once it was labeled vista compatible by the publishers. it's not very smart to expect software coded for xp to work on vista without problems

@ChosenOne: gaming is just as good on vista as on xp if you have a decent computer. you'll get a negligible 3fps or so loss but that's it. i'd rather DX10 instead of an extra 3fps any day :D

That didn't happen with XP as I remember.

LOL you need to do some research on XP. it got torn to shreds by the "community experts" when it first came out.

I get none of that in XP.
funny, i get none of that in Vista. here's the thing, vista doesn't work for YOU and your computer set up. however that does not mean it's a terrible OS. it just means it's out of your reach. there are tens of thousands of people that run vista flawlessly. so really, stop stating false claims and stop stating your opinions as facts

you seriously need to stop stating your opinions as facts. like the weed thing above, you have no idea what you are talking about

Edited by PermaSt0ne
non.sequitur
I can't compare, as I never really gamed under XP. But - on my Vista laptop (2 did, dual core, dedicated graphics) - I can run Crysis just fine.

Nobody ever claimed it was. Stop acting like a kid.

Uh...right now NOBODY runs Crysis "just fine", unless you've get quad SLI or something. Your definition of "just fine" is different than mine, that's for sure.

FlibbyFlobby

Vista is a good OS. I have it on my gaming rig and it runs just fine. I don't have any problems playing COD4, UT3, Crysis, HL2 etc...

The general perception that Windows Vista "sucks" tends to be people who a) haven't tried it, b) heard from someone else it sucks, or c) don't understand that hardware requirements will always increase, just as they did when XP came out (and everyone whined about that too). I'd say Apple are guilty of perpetuating this myth too, with their "Buy a Mac" advert campaign.

kazuyette
Uh...right now NOBODY runs Crysis "just fine", unless you've get quad SLI or something. Your definition of "just fine" is different than mine, that's for sure.

HAHA !! FALSE !!! I got a dude that can right it on max ( with a 1440x900 rez ) !!! He only got a dual SLI setup , nad you should also see GRID running on his beast. And I as wrote before, go back to your cave coding your drivers :p

non.sequitur
Vista is a good OS. I have it on my gaming rig and it runs just fine. I don't have any problems playing COD4, UT3, Crysis, HL2 etc...

You don't get crashes, the annoying "this program has stopped responding" windows, the "white" windows when they stop responding, the general sluggishness copying files, the general delays where the CPU is at 0% utilization but for some reason Vista is just sitting there, doing nothing, when windows should come up? You don't get any of that? How does Steam work for you on Vista?

HAHA !! FALSE !!! I got a dude that can right it on max ( with a 1440x900 rez ) !!! He only got a dual SLI setup , nad you should see GRID running on his beast. And I as wrote before, go back to your cave coding your drivers :p

Wrong.

You know what. I think you need to use drugs; it'll help calm your ass down! :laugh:

Never used them, couldn't tell you either way.

I bet the mods are getting a kick out of this thread. :devil:

Just some people talking.

PermaSt0ne
So how do you smoke it without possessing it?

somebody forces a joint into your mouth and makes you inhale. problem solved. but it doesn't matter if you possessed it or not, you can't get arrested just for being high. you have to do something else to actually get arrested. it's a FACT that it's not illegal and it's a FACT that it's legal to posses marijuana in some states. hey i know, how about you start using facts when you talk too huh? because your opinions are just flat out pathetic

ah once again, more uninformed opinions. this is not a fact, it's false. the fact that you say this shows that you know nothing of what you speak about

i can point to 10 tech blogs off the top of my head that run benchamarks for computer parts and include crysis as one of their tests. they repeatedly get 50+fps on single cards with most of the settings on high.

seriously, why do you post about stuff you know nothing about? you know you know nothing. you've never done research. why continue to post your opinions as facts?

RAID 0
You don't get crashes, the annoying "this program has stopped responding" windows, the "white" windows when they stop responding, the general sluggishness copying files, the general delays where the CPU is at 0% utilization but for some reason Vista is just sitting there, doing nothing, when windows should come up? You don't get any of that? How does Steam work for you on Vista?

RAID 0 Ever problem I've had with Vista was/is driver related. Maybe the people writing the drivers are a bunch of morons? Who knows.

The FACT (read as FACT) is, so many people are using Vista with little or no problems. You can't deny that.

non.sequitur

That's right, and I'm one of them. Just so happens that I still like XP better, that's what I'm telling you.

So you don't have problems with Vista either, according to you on page 15.

If you're gonna cause this many problems, at least stick to one lie and try to remember said lie.

+Dick Montage
When I say "you can't say" something, that's an expression.

It rubs people up the wrong way - it's putting words into their mouths. As for fire in theatre - try it, then you tube it ;)

Have you seen all the magazine articles bashing Vista? I get like 6 tech mags in the mail, and Vista is getting pounded. That didn't happen with XP as I remember.

I have yes, and I tend to ignore overly-sensationalist (read: poor) jounalism. Magazines trump up the issues then give fake solutions. It's just sales! Same happened with XP. I still have my magazines from back then (sorry, am a hoarder) and the more things change the more they stay the same. XP uses the NT kernal, 98 doesn't - the change was huge. But you're ignoring 2000 (which although not really a consumer OS - consumers still bought - and faced the same issues).

I do use Vista but I hate the random crashes and lockups, and the times where the OS just "lags" and you wonder what it's doing.

Driver or hardware - check them. I am using a Dell laptop - all configured by Dell and built by Dell so it's all matching (as much as any IBM-clone can be) and I have no such issues.

Vista just isn't good enough right now

I still disagree.

Steam problems are annoying

Can't comment as I don't use Steam really - once but I wasn't keen on the interface. Seemed too much to play just 1 game. But how is this Vista's issue?

"not responding" messages when things crash. I get none of that in XP.

Honnestly? You never had apps stop responding under XP? You must be 1 in 100000000.

Uh...right now NOBODY runs Crysis "just fine"

OK, no jerkiness, no lagging, full-screen (I think 1440-900 but not sure). All options.

t0mbi

i too, was once scared of vista. i had it on a old computer which only had 512mb ddr ram. it ran crappy but xp ran fine! that turned me off VISTA

BUT then i got a new computer quad core 4gb ddr2 ram and it runs like a dream and it looks great and games like ASS CREED and CRYSIS run great. from what i heard you may only get a few frames more with XP, but that's due to direct x 9 or sumfin????. will never go back. (and i turned User Account Control off and now its fast and hassle free!)

p.S lol please don't hack me :)

FlibbyFlobby
You don't get crashes, the annoying "this program has stopped responding" windows, the "white" windows when they stop responding, the general sluggishness copying files, the general delays where the CPU is at 0% utilization but for some reason Vista is just sitting there, doing nothing, when windows should come up? You don't get any of that? How does Steam work for you on

No. I run all my games maxed out without any problems or crashes. Steam runs fine too. If your having file transfer problems then get SP1.

non.sequitur

I need to get going, my dad is telling me to get off the computer. I'm 12 btw. I think at least a couple of you are my age.

RAID 0
I need to get going, my dad is telling me to get off the computer. I'm 12 btw. I think at least a couple of you are my age.

:rolleyes:

+Dick Montage

Figures - but yes some of the arguing is lame - let's stick with addressing issues.

alpha_omega
...becuase as we all know, drivers for that are hard to come by and as far as I know, only major hardware vendors bother to write drivers for XP 64 bit.

A "myth" unless you can prove it...

PermaSt0ne

lol so you just decided to ignore the rules when you signed up and it said you had to be 13 or older? good job

Chosen One

well I got a core2duo e6750, Mushkin dual channel 2gigs, 8800gt 512. Should run games in vista alright?

bobbytomorow

Vista offers nothing worthwhile over XP except performance hits, longer boot ups, resource hogging, hand holding and just general headache.

It would be ok if dx10 wasn't worthless but so far it is. There is absolutely no reason to recommend vista over XP. I too agree that it is MEII.

Maybe its ok for beginners but for power users XP is still the obvious choice when it comes to Windows.

RAID 0
well I got a core2duo e6750, Mushkin dual channel 2gigs, 8800gt 512. Should run games in vista alright?

Yes. Since RAM is so cheap, you might want to add 4 more when you can. Two will be OK though.

+Dick Montage

Yes, should game just as well.

Maybe its ok for beginners but for power users XP is still the obvious choice owhen it comes to Windows.

Ha ha ha.

I find I am much more productive under Vista - be it office work or development. I do so love it when idiots refer to themselves as power users!

notuptome2004

NoN.

i get none of the issue you cliam to have in windows vista and i have myself been using vista since beta 2 area First system i ran vista on was a AMD Athlon XP 2200+@ stock 1.8ghz i had 1.5gbs of DDR400 and an FX 5600 and ya know what 0 issue 00000000000000000000000 issue unless ya count my own fault of hitting my power button and haveing to come to a windows shut down improperly screen then ok 1 issue then i moved to a freebie from a friend Nvidia 6600 and still no issue and that system with the 5600 in it ran 4x faster then XP.

Now my current rig a dual core AMd chip 3800X2 stock speeds a stock speed 8600GTS and 2gb of ram and vista ultimate 32bit runs flawless.

Now all that may be hard for you to get but it is true . your just un unlucky SOB who rather not believe the oh 100s of neowin users that say just what i said about vista running great and you rather tent to believe the voice inside your head.

<snipped>

Edited by Barney