• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

XP vs. Vista

Barney T.    2,345

Thread cleaned. Remember that personal attacks on Neowin result in warnings issued. Please post maturely.

Guest ID2   

I'm not a computer expert, but at the risk of getting flamed by the puerile remarks characteristic of some of the overly-defensive Vista zealots in this thread, here briefly is a little of my experience with the two OS's

I have two computers running side by side on my desk which both run pretty well non-stop and are used many hours of the day and night every day of the year.

One is old, (about 2002 vintage), a 1.66GB Athlon, 512MB RAM with XPSP2

The second is a thirteen months old?Laptop, 1.66GB Intel Core2 Duo T5500 Mobile with 2GBDDR2 RAM and Vista Home Premium compulsorily bundled and pre-installed.

The old computer beats the new computer in just about every way.

The new computer sometimes just inexplicably dies, and either switches off completely, suspends or goes into sleep or hibernation, or the screen just goes blank.

The old computer runs for many many days on end without crapping out.

The new computer has to be re-booted almost every day to keep running OK.

The old computer can run many more multiple tasks simultaneously than the new computer can, and never hangs or freezes.

I can tell you my opinion so far after a year of constant use - I am not a fan of Vista.

+Human.Online    8,677

I wouldn't point the finger at Vista - I'd say you got some seriously flawed hardware.

+virtorio    3,191
I'm not a computer expert, but at the risk of getting flamed by the puerile remarks characteristic of some of the overly-defensive Vista zealots in this thread, here briefly is a little of my experience with the two OS's

I have two computers running side by side on my desk which both run pretty well non-stop and are used many hours of the day and night every day of the year.

One is old, (about 2002 vintage), a 1.66GB Athlon, 512MB RAM with XPSP2

The second is a thirteen months old?Laptop, 1.66GB Intel Core2 Duo T5500 Mobile with 2GBDDR2 RAM and Vista Home Premium compulsorily bundled and pre-installed.

The old computer beats the new computer in just about every way.

The new computer sometimes just inexplicably dies, and either switches off completely, suspends or goes into sleep or hibernation, or the screen just goes blank.

The old computer runs for many many days on end without crapping out.

The new computer has to be re-booted almost every day to keep running OK.

The old computer can run many more multiple tasks simultaneously than the new computer can, and never hangs or freezes.

I can tell you my opinion so far after a year of constant use - I am not a fan of Vista.

1. The processor on the laptop really isn't all that great.

2. Check power management settings and make sure it isn't overheating.

3. Make sure you're running all latest drivers and have the latest BIOS installed. Being a laptop you're probably not going to get those drivers from the laptop vendor so you might have to get creative on getting them elsewhere and installing them.

4. Did you (successfully) clear out any garbage software that was pre-installed with the system?

alpha_omega    1

That CPU is more than adequate and runs circles around the Athlon...

Ricardo Gil    0

Are you kidding?

Chicane-UK    674

I was going to say! If you need more than a 1.66GHz dual core processor to run the freaking OS then something is seriously FUBAR somewhere.

Guest ID2   

Thanks for the free tips everyone!

I think you're right about the overheating.

I'll check the BIOS version.

Maybe I need to run less software on it, but my XP machine is running a helluva a lot more software than the new computer and never even hiccups.

tsupersonic    1,845

7 pages on XP vs Vista? O_o

xplatinum    63
7 pages on XP vs Vista? O_o

more like 18 lol :p

.tony    0

Ok, let's just summarise the 18 pages properly...

If you have the right specs (recommended minimum 2GB RAM and an Aero-capable graphics card) then go Vista, unless you need XP, say, for an application that isn't supported under Vista.

If you don't, then get XP, it'll run better.

Vista runs fine as long as you don't have an older/less powerful machine with less than 1GB of RAM.

Ci7    205
more like 18 lol :p

yea .... this thread deserve to be locked .... as stuffs going out of the window here

Eric    1,605
I need to get going, my dad is telling me to get off the computer. I'm 12 btw. I think at least a couple of you are my age.

Obviously.... :rolleyes: BTW, I'll be 40 next year, so, um, no. I'm not 12. (Note you must be at least 13 to have a Neowin account unless you have a signed permission form from your parents.) You need to stop reading those crappy magazines and experience things for yourself. They are under no obligation to tell you the truth. They are probably being paid to lie.

Ok, let's just summarise the 18 pages properly...

If you have the right specs (recommended minimum 2GB RAM and an Aero-capable graphics card) then go Vista, unless you need XP, say, for an application that isn't supported under Vista.

If you don't, then get XP, it'll run better.

Vista runs fine as long as you don't have an older/less powerful machine with less than 1GB of RAM.

Exactly. I think it basically says that on the box. I have an OEM copy of Vista, but my XP Pro box certainly has the minimum and recommended hardware requirements listed. :)

Edited by GreyWolfSC

HardSide    0

I prefer XP because I run a single core, 1 gig pc. However my other PC with 3 gig ram and dual core...vista is simply good, if you got the power to handle it that is. At first there were complications and what not, but after a few updates a few tweaks (just like xp) youll like vista.

Scorbing    517

Go with Vista Business edition. It is not as bloated as the Home Premium. It works great plus the Backup application makes a full image backup of your system unlike the Home Premium version.

ViperAFK    797
I don't see what this is supposed to prove. A new OS was coming out, and people needed to prepare for it. That's expected. Nowhere do I see problems right after the launch, with masses of people migrating away from XP. Where's the petition for Microsoft to ask them to continue with Windows 98 and dump XP, because XP was in such bad shape (you know, like they just did with Vista?). Oh yeah, that's right, there wasn't one.

In this modern era of bloggers and such there was a much more vocal response but it is a very vocal minority, most people have no problems with vista.

regarding processors, in my experience if you have a 3.0ghz p4 or above vista will run absolutely fine; what you really want to run it fast is 2 gb of ram or more and you get get 2gb of ddr2 800 for $32!

+virtorio    3,191
I was going to say! If you need more than a 1.66GHz dual core processor to run the freaking OS then something is seriously FUBAR somewhere.

I can only assume he's running more than just Vista (you know like, programs?). I consider that a low end processor (and it is), plus combine whatever software that came pre-installed with the machine (i.e., how various HP drivers and software made my laptop with a T7700 run considerably slower than the CoreDuo 1.6ghz (T2300 I think it was) laptop I replaced it with - that was also running Vista). Depending on what he's doing with the machine and how it came setup, that's not a very fast processor.

Barney T.    2,345
yea .... this thread deserve to be locked .... as stuffs going out of the window here

I agree....... this thread has most certainly run its course.

Thread closed