• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

XP vs. Vista

LiqHead    0
Page one predictions came true :rofl:

Pretty much. :) Must be another 12 year old "computer guru".

non.sequitur    0
check the extreme link it is even more recent and fps is identical.

I have Tons of steam games and steam runs FLAWLESSLY in vista for me.

It's getting better, in terms of frame rate, for sure. UAC, what's up with that? I'd call that a total failure, without question (and so does Microsoft for that matter). There are other things I don't like about it, compared to XP, applications randomly stop responding, Steam runs like crap, copying files is still broken and not as fast as XP, etc. And don't bother telling me to fix my drivers, I'm a programmer and I *write* drivers, so I'm well aware of how to configure a computer.

Again, anyone feel free to tell me why companies won't switch to it, if it's so great? Anyone? That's what I thought...

Eric    1,605

Companies with large IT infrastructures almost NEVER update to the 'latest and greatest' of anything. It's expensive. Not just buying new software, but they also have to pay people to deploy it, it may not do the same thing, and they have to worry about training. Many companies are still using Windows 2000. It's extended support runs out soon. You think they're going to switch to XP? Nope. They'll probably start rolling out Vista now that they've had time to study, plan, and implement.

non.sequitur    0
Who's talking about benchmarks? The OS is fine (as of SP1). Most of the "large companies" (including my employer) do not want to adopt because of Windows 7 coming.

Can u get your **** straight?

And quit being a flamer?

If Vista had something to add over XP, companies would be using it. But they're not, because it doesn't.

Sethos    270
It's getting better, in terms of frame rate, for sure. UAC, what's up with that? I'd call that a total failure, without question (and so does Microsoft for that matter). There are other things I don't like about it, compared to XP, applications randomly stop responding, Steam runs like crap, copying files is still broken and not as fast as XP, etc. And don't bother telling me to fix my drivers, I'm a programmer and I *write* drivers, so I'm well aware of how to configure a computer.

Again, anyone feel free to tell me why companies won't switch to it, if it's so great? Anyone? That's what I thought...

1) Stop saying "Even Microsoft is calling it a total failure" yet you provide some half-arsed sources.

2) People have provided you with reasons why companies don't switch, how about reading them.

Eric    1,605

I'm calling you out. What drivers have you written? You still provide no evidence to back up your false claims.

chrisj1968    1,417
Go with XP. They don't call Vista "Windows ME II" for nothing you know. It's garbage.

What the hell are you smokin'? I hated Vista myself. but when SP1 came out, It is now stable. chill man!

You can't get XP preinstalled anymore..from legal sources..ahem unless you get it from a shady source. XP has been pulled I believe since june 08 and I think all support ends june 2009

1525bongggggg42uz1.jpg

ViperAFK    797

How the hell is UAC a total failure??? EVERY damn vista exploit I have seen is foiled with UAC enabled. UAC is essentially the same as the permissions in linux and osx and makes the OS much more secure and is one of the BEST things to happen to windows in ages. You can easily switch it to silent mode as well and still retain security features such as protected mode in IE. Saying UAC is a total failure is just dumb.

non.sequitur    0
Companies with large IT infrastructures almost NEVER update to the 'latest and greatest' of anything. It's expensive. Not just buying new software, but they also have to pay people to deploy it, it may not do the same thing, and they have to worry about training. Many companies are still using Windows 2000. It's extended support runs out soon. You think they're going to switch to XP? Nope. They'll probably start rolling out Vista now that they've had time to study, plan, and implement.

I think they're going to skip Vista altogether and wait for windows 7. Where I work we use XP, windows 2000, Solaris, and AIX. Solaris and AIX are better than ANY Windows OS, BTW. Now I want some of you to come in here and dispute that fact.

Eric    1,605
What the hell are you smokin'? I hated Vista myself. but when SP1 came out, It is now stable. chill man!

1525bongggggg42uz1.jpg

Hey! Gimme dat! :)

BoDEAN    68
Im getting a new laptop pretty soon im not sure to get it preinstalled with xp or vista since vista just came out and its not really stable

Just came out? Been out a while now.

BTW, search the forums, I don't know HOW many topics relate to this same question.

non.sequitur    0
Just more bashing without facts.

I know Vista has problems, Microsoft admitted it themselves, in Maximum PC.

ViperAFK    797
I think they're going to skip Vista altogether and wait for windows 7. Where I work we use XP, windows 2000, Solaris, and AIX. Solaris and AIX are better than ANY Windows OS, BTW. Now I want some of you to come in here and dispute that fact.

Windows 7 isn't going to be some magic os that will be amazingly more awesome than vista. It will be a relatively minor update and will be a LOT like vista uac and all.

Eric    1,605

No, they won't. You're not reading. It's too expensive for companies to switch an entire infrastructure to a new OS if it's not necessary. When Windows "7" comes out you will hate it, too, and companies will be happily using whatever there is still paid support available for. The last corporate customer I worked for had over 15,000 desktops deployed in multiple locations around the country. They will hang on to whatever they have until A) support evaporates or B) hell freezes over. It has nothing to do with the quality of the new product. It has only to do with the customer's bottom line.

(Never heard of Maximum PC, and I don't see a tell-all from Microsoft admitting their failures on their site anywhere.)

non.sequitur    0
1) Stop saying "Even Microsoft is calling it a total failure" yet you provide some half-arsed sources.

2) People have provided you with reasons why companies don't switch, how about reading them.

1) Maximum PC is not a "half-arsed" source. They interviewed Microsoft for the article and when the interview was over and they published the story on the front page, they called it "Inside Microsoft's $6 billion failure". And they weren't talking about Microsoft Bob.

2) I did read them. Microsoft pushed really hard for businesses to deploy Vista at launch; that plan failed miserably. They don't even use Vista at Microsoft, that's how great it is! AND they use Google search.

chrisj1968    1,417
Hey! Gimme dat! :)

1525bongggggg42uz1.jpg

Can you take da smoke? :huh:

non.sequitur    0
Just came out? Been out a while now.

BTW, search the forums, I don't know HOW many topics relate to this same question.

At least he was right about the "not really stable" part.

ViperAFK    797
1) Maximum PC is not a "half-arsed" source. They interviewed Microsoft for the article and when the interview was over and they published the story on the front page, they called it "Inside Microsoft's $6 billion failure". And they weren't talking about Microsoft Bob.

2) I did read them. Microsoft pushed really hard for businesses to deploy Vista at launch; that plan failed miserably. They don't even use Vista at Microsoft, that's how great it is! AND they use Google search.

I doubt ms came out and said "Yeah vista is a complete failure" Lets see this "article" kthx.

Microsoft didn't make any mistakes with xp at all and it's perfect I see.

non.sequitur    0
Windows 7 isn't going to be some magic os that will be amazingly more awesome than vista. It will be a relatively minor update and will be a LOT like vista uac and all.

Oh, I never said Microsoft wasn't going to screw up AGAIN on Windows 7. In fact, I'd bet on it.

chrisj1968    1,417

Since you're into the magazine game. I read Eweek! the reason the article said that companies aren't migrating is due to their legacy apps not being able to port over to Vista. The OS is stable and quit with the bull**** FUD

LiqHead    0

And you are the admin for those OS's?

Eric    1,605

Ok, now we know you're on crack. Of course Microsoft wants them to buy their new product. They'd be stupid not to. And I think Brandon will have something to say about MS not using Vista themselves if this thread survives long enough for him to notice it. And as for search engines: I doubt that too, but I don't have any secret cameras in Microsoft's campus any more than you do. Got any more to pile on?

non.sequitur    0
I doubt ms came out and said "Yeah vista is a complete failure" Lets see this "article" kthx.

Microsoft didn't make any mistakes with xp at all and it's perfect I see.

If you read the article they're pretty much in full damage control mode. It's quite funny, actually.

Eric    1,605
And you are the admin for those OS's?

No, he programs the drivers for them. :)