XP vs. Vista

non.sequitur
Vista haters are fun.

If you're talking about me, I said before I don't hate Vista, I use it AND XP. I just like XP better. So calling me a "Vista hater" is way off.

LiqHead

Little boy go away. I don't need a mod. I was just asking one to shut this POS thread down so you will quit. Now GO AWAY!!!

non.sequitur
Don't know if that happened in XP because my games didn't crash in XP.

That's part of the problem, yes. But people in here will tell you it's Nvidia's fault, which might be true, but that's not the point. When all the finger pointing between Microsoft, ATI, Intel, Nvidia, HP, etc., is all done, I want Vista to work at least as good as XP, and right now it doesn't.

ViperAFK
If you're talking about me, I said before I don't hate Vista, I use it AND XP. I just like XP better. So calling me a "Vista hater" is way off.

I see what you saying but you first post certainly didn't rub off that way :)

"I say you use xp because I like it better than vista" probably would have sufficed.

non.sequitur
Little boy go away. I don't need a mod. I was just asking one to shut this POS thread down so you will quit. Now GO AWAY!!!

You'd better get your story straight. First you need a mod, then you don't, then you need one, then you don't. You sound a little confused. Maybe you'd better go back and read YOUR posts again. I'm not going away, told you that.

Eric
I was thinking more about WinFS when I said that. No the audio updates.

WinFS was not a file system. It was a metadata storage system. It's also usually a key indicator that the poster is just complaining and isn't sure what they're talking about. (The Wikipedia link you provided doesn't even mention WinFS, BTW.)

They actually just fixed this, with the latest drivers. Guess you tossed it for nothing.

No they didn't. The card is still sitting in my desk drawer and gets another trial every time Creative releases beta drivers. The current ones behave just as badly as the RTM ones. I don't think they intend to fix it, and the X-Fi drivers are barely any better. I can only assume Creative has a poor programming team.

They promised WinFS. They didn't deliver.

See above. The features of WinFS are being incorporated into SQL Server, I believe.

OMG, now I'm scared. Am I going to jail? <shivers> So I can assume that when the other 5 or so people replied to my posts and broke the rules, Neowin "told" them what THEY did was against the rules?

I have no idea. I'm not a moderator, but I assume if it's showing me the "Guidelines and Pointers for this Forum" with each reply that it doing the same for everyone. Anyone else's behavior is their own problem.

splicer707

If you're getting a new laptop, chances are that Windows XP won't be an option.

Windows Vista is fine. (Y)

NEVER85
That's part of the problem, yes. But people in here will tell you it's Nvidia's fault, which might be true, but that's not the point. When all the finger pointing between Microsoft, ATI, Intel, Nvidia, HP, etc., is all done, I want Vista to work at least as good as XP, and right now it doesn't.

Maybe not for you, but it seems to for many others here.

non.sequitur
I see what you saying but you first post certainly didn't rub off that way :)

"I say you use xp because I like it better than vista" probably would have sufficed.

You're right. If I knew we were going to have a bunch of grade school kids in here going ballistic, because I made a joke about "Vista is called Windows ME II", believe me, I wouldn't have done it. I thought the people in here could handle a little joke and have a little fun, but I guess not. That was my mistake. My opinion stands as is though; XP is better, Vista was messed up from the launch, and still is (but has gotten better).

NEVER85
You're right. If I knew we were going to have a bunch of grade school kids in here going ballistic, because I made a joke about "Vista is called Windows ME II", believe me, I wouldn't have done it. I thought the people in here could handle a little joke and have a little fun, but I guess not. That was my mistake. My opinion stands as is though; XP is better, Vista was messed up from the launch, and still is (but has gotten better).

Fair enough, but as I use 4 GB of RAM, and don't want to be limited to 3.2 GB of RAM (or possibly less) by 32-bit XP, I really don't want to touch 64-bit XP given the bad rap it has.

LiqHead

"Joke"? You acted like it was your law. And you are now trying to save face? C'mon.

splicer707

This is not a joke forum. If you're going to post dumb jokes. Try here.

How is Vista messed up? I'm curious.

non.sequitur
WinFS was not a file system. It was a metadata storage system.

I never said it was or wasn't a file system, or a metadata storage system.

No they didn't. The card is still sitting in my desk drawer and gets another trial every time Creative releases beta drivers. The current ones behave just as badly as the RTM ones. I don't think they intend to fix it, and the X-Fi drivers are barely any better. I can only assume Creative has a poor programming team.

I'm running it now, and it appears fine to me, compared to other drivers. The release notes reflect this also.

See above. The features of WinFS are being incorporated into SQL Server, I believe.

Fantastic. I use Oracle, so this means nothing to me. We could argue which is better, Oracle or SQL Server, but I won't go there. The point is that it was supposed to be included in Vista at launch.

I have no idea. I'm not a moderator, but I assume if it's showing me the "Guidelines and Pointers for this Forum" with each reply that it doing the same for everyone. Anyone else's behavior is their own problem.

I'm not worried. I don't think joking around and calling Vista "Windows ME II" is enough to get me Kevin Mitnick-like treatment.

Eric
Fair enough, but as I use 4 GB of RAM, and don't want to be limited to 3.2 GB of RAM (or possibly less) by 32-bit XP, I really don't want to touch 64-bit XP given the bad rap it has.

I used XP64 for quite a while... It worked fine for me. The only problem I ever had with it was that for some reason Microsoft locked it out of the Windows Live installer. The apps work fine if you use the msi files directly though.

Fantastic. I use Oracle, so this means nothing to me. We could argue which is better, Oracle or SQL Server, but I won't go there. The point is that it was supposed to be included in Vista at launch.

It was removed because it bogged the system down and would have never been used by the majority of Windows users. And I really don't consider it to be 'supposed to be in at launch.' It was removed almost two years before RTM I believe. It was one of the reasons Vista was delayed as long as it was. Read this: http://perspectives.on10.net/blogs/jonudel...e-is-WinFS-now/

The difference between Apple and Microsoft is that Apple doesn't tell you when they're working on stuff like that so we never know what got dropped from OSX. There may have been a million new features for Leopard that didn't work right. I'd rather have Microsoft's candor any day. :)

Edited by GreyWolfSC
LiqHead
I never said it was or wasn't a file system, or a metadata storage system.

I'm running it now, and it appears fine to me, compared to other drivers. The release notes reflect this also.

I'm not worried. I don't think joking around and calling Vista "Windows ME II" is enough to get me Kevin Mitnick-like treatment.

WTF does Kevin have to do with your OP? Go away. You are not helping your cause whatsoever. Some kiddies don't get it.

non.sequitur
This is not a joke forum. If you're going to post dumb jokes. Try here.

How is Vista messed up? I'm curious.

It wasn't a full-fledged joke so much as a comment that was obviously made jokingly.

How is Vista messed up? Were you in a cave during the Vista launch or something?

LiqHead

You have been shot down as to your theories. Why do you keep on?

non.sequitur
It was removed because it bogged the system down and would have never been used by the majority of Windows users. And I really don't consider it to be 'supposed to be in at launch.' It was removed almost two years before RTM I believe. It was one of the reasons Vista was delayed as long as it was.

Yes, I'm aware of the history of WinFS. They promised it at launch. So because they pulled it long before RTM, that makes it OK? They had insiders that worked on the project warning them from day one that it was too ambitious for Vista, but they ignored those warnings. To me, that's a screw-up in the project planning. If Microsoft didn't screw up Vista, why are they admitting to all these mistakes?

"We broke a lot of things. We know that, and we know it caused you a lot of pain."

http://www.informationweek.com/news/window...cleID=208803153

LiqHead

Everyone knows that. All of the things you are talking about are pre SP1. So let it go.

splicer707
It wasn't a full-fledged joke so much as a comment that was obviously made jokingly.

How is Vista messed up? Were you in a cave during the Vista launch or something?

facepalm2ic7copyrl2.jpg

I didn't watch the Vista launch. So I don't really know.

I do know is some of my colleagues told me that there were some rushed / dodgy drivers (nV mostly) but that's hardly Microsoft's fault. Other than that. All software has bugs, from my experiences Microsoft did pretty well with Vista.

Eric
Yes, I'm aware of the history of WinFS. They promised it at launch. So because they pulled it long before RTM, that makes it OK? They had insiders that worked on the project warning them from day one that it was too ambitious for Vista, but they ignored those warnings. To me, that's a screw-up in the project planning. If Microsoft didn't screw up Vista, why are they admitting to all these mistakes?

"We broke a lot of things. We know that, and we know it caused you a lot of pain."

http://www.informationweek.com/news/window...cleID=208803153

That article simply says they screwed up the launch, not the OS. And whether I was in a cave or not is irrelevant. At launch I was happily using my new copy of Vista and learning how to use the Windows Presentation Foundation.

Also, there are no 'new' Audigy drivers yet. The latest are the June betas. They promised release ones by August.

non.sequitur
I didn't watch the Vista launch. So I don't really know.

I do know is some of my colleagues told me that there were some rushed / dodgy drivers (nV mostly) but that's hardly Microsoft's fault. Other than that. All software has bugs, from my experiences Microsoft did pretty well with Vista.

Cute, but not nearly as good as the Picard one. 3/10

LiqHead

Damn close the thread. This is just stupid to keep on like this.

non.sequitur
That article simply says they screwed up the launch, not the OS. And whether I was in a cave or not is irrelevant. At launch I was happily using my new copy of Vista and learning how to use the Windows Presentation Foundation.

Come on now. So when they say "We broke a lot of things", that's a reference to the launch, not the OS? That you Bill Gates?

Damn close the thread. This is just stupid to keep on like this.

If you can't handle it, then it's time for you to pack up your little toy box and go home little boy. I'm done with you.

NoneAvail

Sil3nt , You see you just sparked up a ****ing fireworks factory in fire now. Vista is better. Mojoave project GO CHECK IT!