Google Chrome Browser

I'm really interested in the new JS engine, and some of the changes to WebKit*, but that's about it for me.

* Like native widgets, mac style widgets are fine on mac, but not on windows.

Mozilla could always include the technology in FF. Maybe it could even be done as a plugin?

"The browser will include a JavaScript Virtual Machine called V8, built from scratch by a team in Denmark, and open-sourced as well so other browsers could include it."

They could, but they probably won't.

Firefox 3.1 is coming with a JIT engine for JS (so it compiles down the most executed JS to machine code), Firefox 4 should come with a new JIT VM (so everything is compiled down to machine code)

and Safari already has a JIT-ing JS engine.

Edit: the engine for FX4 is called Tamarin, written by Adobe for use in Flash.

yeah, V8 vs. SquirrelFish vs. TraceMonkey will definitely be interesting tomorrow. If I'm not mistaken, SquirrelFish is just compiling JavaScript to bytecode, while TraceMonkey is only compiling specific parts of the script to native machine code, while V8 here compiles the whole thing to native machine code. Then that means Google here could be a year ahead of competitions.

I hope Opera can have something up its sleeves too, it seems it is lagging behind in JavaScript performance lately.

On another note, it seems Google Chrome won't really have Speed Dial, but thumbnails of the most visited websites. It seems those websites cannot be changed manually. It'll be useful anyway. With Opera's Speed Dial, IE8's New Tab Page, and now Chrome's New Tab Page, guess Firefox should go faster on their New Tab Concepts labs project.

If the comic truly reflects Google Inc.'s approach to the Browser and the 'market' as such. It's going to be a refreshing release.

For one, I really like Webkit and what it means for rendering web pages and standards compliance.

However, I am not that excited by Apple's implementation with it's GUI. So the Google Browser simple functional (judging from screenshot) design appeals to me. (Y)

I'm more interested on the "Tabs as separate processes".. this means, no more browser crashes when a site is causing it to crash.

Not to mention the garbage collection in terms of memory usage.

Of course all of those are "theories" until proven otherwise. Argh..still a few hours left?

anyone else love that part of the comic when that guys talks about sandbox, that "Google Chrome has full control", and then a big SMASH in the next panel with a plugin? That guy's face is so funny in that panel :laugh:

anyway it's nice that they are open to admit what kind of vulnerabilities they cannot deal with. it's one of the few instances I can remember where a press release openly says "we are trying to be secure, but we in fact still have holes not patched up yet", instead of trying to paint itself nigh impregnable, now that's a nice change :)

A fifth browser? Bring it ON!

From what I can see, they've totally "fused" the search bar and the address bar, which was only natural. firefox has the "Im feeling lucky" thing so I use the address bar as a search bar (when I know that the first result is going to take where I want). They put the browsing buttons inside each tab, which I've always hated and criticized, but maybe I'll like it this time around.

We'll see :D

if it is based on webkit it's just safari with a different shell, if you consider this a seperate browser that is going to drive innovation than you can also consider all the internet explorer shell browsers like maxthon as such

if it is based on webkit it's just safari with a different shell, if you consider this a seperate browser that is going to drive innovation than you can also consider all the internet explorer shell browsers like maxthon as such

This is more than just a Webkit shell - they have put a lot of code into this, including process isolation and javascript. I for one am excited about this as the code is open sourced and will make its way into other browsers (including internet explorer!)