9 Days Left?

SCIENTISTS are trying to stop the most powerful experiment ever ? saying the black holes it will create could destroy the world.

Dubbed by some the Doomsday test, it will be carried out next week in the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), located 300ft underground near the French-Swiss border.

The machine is 17 miles long and cost ?4.4billion to create.

When its switch is pulled on September 10, this atom-smasher will become a virtual time machine, revealing what happened when the universe came into existence 14 billion years ago.

New particles of matter are expected to be discovered, new dimensions found beyond the four known, as scientists re-create conditions in the first BILLIONTHS of a second after the Big Bang.

The atom smasher ... the 17-mile-long machine that some fear will destroy our planet

Experts even predict that millions of tiny black holes will be produced ? baby brothers of the monsters gobbling up dust and stars at the heart of the galaxies.

Secrets

That is why boffins are now trying to stop the project with a last-ditch challenge in the courts.

They fear the LHC experimenters are tinkering with the unknown and putting mankind ? and our whole planet ? at risk.

The group responsible for the experiment, the European Nuclear Research Centre (CERN), says that these mini black holes will vanish as quickly as they are created.

But the anti-CERN brigade accuse the scientists of playing God, warning that no one can guarantee that the black holes will not survive, rapidly growing in size to suck the Earth out of existence in an instant.

But CERN, which includes several UK scientists, say their work is vital to unlock the secrets of matter that forms everything known in the universe.

In the experiment, atomic particles will be fired in opposite directions along the 17-mile long underground ring ? the length of the Circle Line on the London Underground.

They will travel so fast that they make 11,245 trips around the tunnel every SECOND.

From the collisions, boffins expect to discover a fundamental bit of the atom, called the Higgs boson, that is expected to exist but which has never been seen.

Professor Otto Rossler, from the Eberhard Karls University of Tubingen in Germany, is one of the scientists mounting the legal challenge at the European Court of Human Rights against 20 countries which are funding the project.

He said: ?It is quite plausible that these little black holes will survive and will grow and eat the planet from the inside out.?

A CERN spokesman said: ?It will not be producing anything that does not already happen routinely in nature.?

Source

I say go ahead and do the experiment, we wont learn anything without doing anything unknown. That is exactly science has worked over the years and that is exactly how it will continue to work.

?It is quite plausible that these little black holes will survive and will grow and eat the planet from the inside out.?

IMPOSSIBLE!!! we can't die now; it's not 2011 y:shifty:fty:

It won't destroy the world, from what I understand it only makes tiny microscopic black holes that only last a few seconds (if that). The black hole needs to be the size of roughly a small coin (so I'm lead to beleive) before it can suck up the Earth. Of cause I could be totally wrong, I'm no expert on this just voicing what I understand it to be, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :p

Apparently those scared of the black holes are forgeting "Hawking Radiation", the smaller the black hole, the faster the Hawking radiation shrinks the black hole down to nothing.

There is nothing to worry about.

So the whole world gets rapid weight, loss we wake up on a new planet where girls have three boobs, sex is law on all beaches, crime is non existent and we all have hover chairs and computers can run Crysis.

It won't destroy the earth, if it was possible for it to destroy the earth, odds are it would have already happened by now (Since we're just reproducing what happens in nature, but in controlled conditions*)

* The detectors have already detected remnants of a collision that happened in our atmosphere, I'm fairly certain the world didn't cease to exist a few weeks ago.

So the whole world gets rapid weight, loss we wake up on a new planet where girls have three boobs, sex is law on all beaches, crime is non existent and we all have hover chairs and computers can run Crysis.

Now you're just being silly.

All of that is true except the last statement.

oh just turn it on already. whats the worst that could happen? :shifty: So either everything's fine or we'll cease to exists a long time before we get half a clue anything is wrong. Honestly i don't think id be bothered if the world ceases to exists in 8 days. Sit back, crack a beer and enjoy the lead-up. :fun:

Either that or a black hole with two event horizons, forgot the name, of which when something travels into it, it gets spit out the other event horizon, think of it as a wormhole, if one of those gets created and anyone who survives getting sucked into it might emerge in a parallel universe. o.O''''

This is 4.4 Billion worth of GUESSWORK and idle conjecture to find information that they BELIEVE to be there and that will not benefit anyone in the slightest. A bunch of blind people groping in the dark, black hole that they obsess about. The few that understand the futility and uselessness, ultimately, of what they are doing should be ashamed of themselves for setting up a big TOY, and the unfortunate others who have been sucked into this due to it's indisputable impressiveness can only hope to realise how silly this all is.

Scientists have very inaccurate ideas about how the Earth came into being, let alone the universe, and the guesswork gone into declaring the Earth is 14 billion years old needs serious consideration, because that's all it is: a best guess. We dont need guessing scientists. We need scientists to be of benefit and use to mankind, not flit about doing spectacular and impressive "experiments" because they have convinced themselves and a lot of others by the looks of things that they are "essential"!