My

So I bought an expensive Macro lens, the Nikon Micro Macro lens (105 mm - f/2.8 G ED-IF AF-S VR) thinking I would be able to get macro shots in this detail:

macro-insect.jpg or macro-dragonfly-thumb-500x487.jpg

or even ones like this.

However, the ones I took earlier today (with a dead wasp and spider) on a plain piece of paper, but they seem to have come out a bit rubbish:

post-39459-1220474926_thumb.jpg

post-39459-1220475166.jpg post-39459-1220475201.jpg

post-39459-1220475245_thumb.jpg

post-39459-1220475271_thumb.jpg

post-39459-1220475284_thumb.jpg

post-39459-1220475290_thumb.jpg

post-39459-1220475297_thumb.jpg

post-39459-1220475304.jpg post-39459-1220475313.jpg

post-39459-1220475324.jpg post-39459-1220475345.jpg

These two were taken with the "Macro" function with my 18 - 55mm lens:

post-39459-1220475351.jpg post-39459-1220475356.jpg

I had the camera in Macro mode, but the results have really disappionted me, especially with regard to depth of field. Is this because it is just 105mm? The lens does have a strange function on it which is a little like the infinity sign which can be flipped to a mm value. I want a lens that gets me really close to the subject, of which I gathered this one was it due to the cost. A guy in a photography shop was also recommending this lens. Perhaps I am not using it correctly, but is there any advice? Have I bought the wrong lens for what I was looking for?

After spending ?500 odd on this single lens, I am saddened with the results.

post-39459-1220474940.jpg

I take it that you have the lens on AUTO FOCUS?? What Focus Points do you selected on the camera? 1 or all??

Also you may want to move in and out with the camera when the lens is trying to focus, I find it helps with focusing.

But seriously, you must be doing something wrong as those pictures it has produced are f'in terrible, makes it even worse when you have spent 500quid on the lens......

Use a higher f-stop such as f/11 to decrease the amount of blurred background. Basically, you'll want to get rid of that high amount of depth of field. Also, try manually focusing the lens. Most DSLRs use focus points to "aim" in auto-focusing. Think of it as laser sights. Usually, the camera decides which spot will provide the best focus. You can either manually focus the camera or change the auto-focus point so that it's at the centre and not the outer edge of the picture. If that doesn't give you the desired quality than return that lens and get a better one.

You're going to have millimeters of thin dof at 2.8 and such when you focus that close. Crank it up like others said to f/8 and higher.

Macro photography is often complemented with flash photography because of the small apertures.

That said, make sure you're not closer than 1 foot to the subject as that is the focus limit on your lens. Consider focus stacking as well: http://www.wonderfulphotos.com/articles/ma...focus_stacking/

Well, I had another go focusing manually and from a good few feet back which has improved the images, but no way are they to the standard I am looking for.

I will be returning the lens for now as I think it is a good lens, but not worth the ?500 odd I paid. A good lesson learnt though!

Means though I can buy a new mp3 player:pp

Well, I had another go focusing manually and from a good few feet back which has improved the images, but no way are they to the standard I am looking for.

I will be returning the lens for now as I think it is a good lens, but not worth the ?500 odd I paid. A good lesson learnt though!

Did you really tried other f-stops?

:huh:: You do realize that the 105 VR is one of Nikon's sharpest glass? It can deliver results--post some images with exif so we can judge what's wrong.

Did you really tried other f-stops?

I don't think he tried to change the aperture and use a tripod (which is ESSENTIAL in that case). I have the same lens and love it, but it takes some time getting used to. If I remember correctly the macro mode (on D80) enforces an aperture of 5.6.

If you try to use a tripod, and change the f/stop to 22 or more (if I remember correctly the lens can even use F/56), you can get something like that:

Life_of_a_Yellowjacket_by_vazagothic.jpg

It's not the sharpest image, but I was still learning and the wasp was moving :)

Camera: NIKON D80

Shutter Speed: 10/150 second

F Number: F/36.0

Focal Length: 105 mm

ISO Speed: 400

Edited by VazaGothic

I just checked the exif on the first images you posted and you're using full auto mode?

Oh and using apertures as small as f/36 can actually reduce image quality because your aps-c sensor is diffraction limited.

Interesting article - I've just used the calculator there and it seems that I wouldn't have problems if I moved the camera closer (or change the aperture to f/22 or so).

I've checked the EXIF of the TC and it seems he used:

Make : NIKON CORPORATION

Model : NIKON D60

ExposureTime : 1/125Sec

FNumber : F4.8

ISOSpeedRatings : 100

ShutterSpeedValue : 1/125Sec

Flash : Fired(Auto/return light detected)

FocalLength : 105.00(mm)

ExposureMode : Auto

WhiteBalance : Auto

Mr Spoon: you should use the Aperture Priority mode and change the aperture to F/11 or more. Use Tripod (no hand-held shooting in that case) and use remote-release cable or timer.

Interesting article - I've just used the calculator there and it seems that I wouldn't have problems if I moved the camera closer (or change the aperture to f/22 or so).

I've checked the EXIF of the TC and it seems he used:

ExposureTime : 1/125Sec

FocalLength : 105.00(mm)

ExposureMode : Auto

WhiteBalance : Auto

Mr Spoon: you should use the Aperture Priority mode and change the aperture to F/11 or more. Use Tripod (no hand-held shooting in that case) and use remote-release cable or timer.

Doesn't the 105 VR have a MFD of 1 foot? Here it is showing a regular 12" print.

Picture%201.png

I would love a 105 VR :)

Something is definitely wrong with the way you're using it though. What kind of body were you using it on and in what mode? As others have said, something like an f/8 to f/22 aperture would help expand the DOF to get more things in focus.

Doesn't the 105 VR have a MFD of 1 foot? Here it is showing a regular 12" print.

Picture%201.png

You should slap me on the head for speed-reading through the calculator - for some odd reason I skimmed over the "Maximum Print Dimension" and though it was the distance from object :D

According to dpreview.com the camera has

"1:1 of maximum reproduction ratio and up to 31cm closest focusing distance"
, which would be about right. As far as I remember I took this shot sitting few feet away from the nest (the photo is cropped).

I guess I could have moved it a bit closer, use F/18 or so and change the ISO to 100 or so to get similar effect, but as stated - I was still learning (and still am).

I would love a 105 VR :)

Something is definitely wrong with the way you're using it though. What kind of body were you using it on and in what mode? As others have said, something like an f/8 to f/22 aperture would help expand the DOF to get more things in focus.

It's amazing lens - I use it quite often for the portraits, though recently I try to use the Nikon 50mm 1.4 as it doesn't force me to stand 5+ feet away from the person.

As mentioned few posts above, the TC (Mr Spoon) used the following settings:

Picture 1:

Picture 2:

ISOSpeedRatings : 400

ShutterSpeedValue : 1/10Sec

Flash : Not fired(Compulsory)

Well, I did have a go, but I think I bought the lens when I didn't really understand it takes a bit more work to take a photo.

post-39459-1220638386_thumb.jpg

post-39459-1220638394_thumb.jpg

That second one I used with the Lens hood. A very interesting difference considering the wasp is in the same place. I know these aren't much higher when it comes to F numbers, but my camera almost didn't let me select a higher number but was more interested in the shutter speed, even though I had it in A mode :/ However, a photography magazine I bought goes into great detail about this very subject so it looks like I will be giving it another chance!

Interesting links though in the thread :cool:

Auto mode won't do any good for this. Put it in aperture priority and set it to f/11. Put the iso to auto.

Instead of shooting dead insects, go outside where there's plenty of light and test it on some flowers.

The A (Aperture Priority) mode lets you change the aperture manually - the camera then adjusts the shutter speed to get a correct exposure (that's why you see the change in the shutter speed) (page 43 of your manual).

So set it to A, then use the command dial to change the F to F11 or so and press the shutter (most likely use a tripod, or secure the camera, so it won't move)

If you want to have a full control of the shutter and aperture, then you should use the M mode (page 44 of the manual for d60).

You can find the electronic version of the manual here:

D60 Manual on Nikonusa.com (page 55 & 56 respectively)