Samsung: Blu-Ray gone by 2012

Another factor I wanna throw into the foray, deals. I find stores tend to have other things going for them, sometimes they'll throw in the novelisation, or have 3 for 2 etc.

Check iTune movie download/rental. The movie selection is limited right now and most are only in SD. HD movie tops at 720p, probably to match the max output of the Apple TV.

I could download "The Eye" for free on iTune since I dot the Blu-Ray. I can tell you, the quality is mediocre. I got another movie from iTune and same experience, mediocre picture quality, heavy banding, compression artifacts. I have a fast cable connection and it was not quick. And it's not cheap, buying a HD 720p movie cost less than a Blu-Ray but not by much.

And I much prefer to have a physical media in my hand. Easier to share, can make a backup copy with AnyDVD-HD.

So, you download all those movies, fill your HDD and need that in RAID1 because what happen if your HDD fail? You lose everything?

I won't be surprised if Blu-ray is gone soon. It's useless unless you have an HDTV, which most people, including me, don't have yet. Also, Blu-ray is only good for movies that were filmed in high resolution. If you notice, majority of classic movies are only being release on DVD and not Blu-ray. That's because classic movies aren't as good of a quality, so releasing them on Blu-ray would be a waste. I've watched upconverted DVDs and Blu-ray discs at my cousin's house and the difference is very minimal. And besides, the difference between Blu-ray and DVD isn't nearly as great as the difference between DVD and VHS. So, Blu-ray would never replace DVDs like the way DVDs replace VHS.

I won't be surprised if Blu-ray is gone soon. It's useless unless you have an HDTV, which most people, including me, don't have yet. Also, Blu-ray is only good for movies that were filmed in high resolution. If you notice, majority of classic movies are only being release on DVD and not Blu-ray. That's because classic movies aren't as good of a quality, so releasing them on Blu-ray would be a waste. I've watched upconverted DVDs and Blu-ray discs at my cousin's house and the difference is very minimal. And besides, the difference between Blu-ray and DVD isn't nearly as great as the difference between DVD and VHS. So, Blu-ray would never replace DVDs like the way DVDs replace VHS.

ahh, you fell into a common pitfall.

most films are on actual film, which equates to something like 8000 lines. More than enough for a good transfer. A good example of this is the recent release of 2001 on BD and HDDVD.

No :p

Most films are filmed on 35mm including old films with a few exceptions, which equates to 4000x2000 approximately when scanned in which is more than enough for your 1080p film.

I disagree with your statement, Blu-ray does not have the low price yet but eventually thru the years the price will be obviously going down, same has the current HDTVs, they are expensive now but wait between three to four years, all these technology eventually will go down as the current CTR tv's or dvd's. Technology is something that within the years the price can go as far 80% down from the original price.

No :p

Most films are filmed on 35mm including old films with a few exceptions, which equates to 4000x2000 approximately when scanned in which is more than enough for your 1080p film.

I always thought it was dependent on the transfer that dictated the max resolution, not the film width. I imagine 70mm would be 8000x4000 then?

I always thought it was dependent on the transfer that dictated the max resolution, not the film width. I imagine 70mm would be 8000x4000 then?

That's part of the equation, because film itself is only capable of a limited resolution, just like paper is.

I have a question. I and probably most people don't have a computer sitting next to my tvs. So I would assume this would mean a separate box would be needed to download,store and view the movies right? How much would that cost?

edit: vudu's box costs 300 so a blu-ray player would be about the same and allow you to watch and upconvert DVDs as well. Maybe not the BD-Live players, but since you can't get that with vudu then it doesn't make sense to compare the two.

Edited by draklin

I won't be surprised if Blu-ray is gone soon. It's useless unless you have an HDTV, which most people, including me, don't have yet. Also, Blu-ray is only good for movies that were filmed in high resolution. If you notice, majority of classic movies are only being release on DVD and not Blu-ray. That's because classic movies aren't as good of a quality, so releasing them on Blu-ray would be a waste.

When was the last time you checked the available movies on Blu-Ray (or HD-DVD when it was alive)?? MANY classic movies are there on Blu-Ray and I can tell you, most of them are quite awesome in HD, most look as if they where filmed yesterday, clean picture with vivid colors and details. Movies on MASTER reel are of much higher resolution that even Blu-Ray can handle.

As for HDTV, the price are falling quick. Anyway, people today don't have many choice when buying a new TV, they are almost all HDTV. You can still find 4:3 CRT TV, but they are getter harder to find.

When you finally get HDTV, you want to get the best experience when watching a movie. The only solution, Blu-Ray.

When was the last time you checked the available movies on Blu-Ray (or HD-DVD when it was alive)?? MANY classic movies are there on Blu-Ray and I can tell you, most of them are quite awesome in HD, most look as if they where filmed yesterday, clean picture with vivid colors and details. Movies on MASTER reel are of much higher resolution that even Blu-Ray can handle.

As for HDTV, the price are falling quick. Anyway, people today don't have many choice when buying a new TV, they are almost all HDTV. You can still find 4:3 CRT TV, but they are getter harder to find.

When you finally get HDTV, you want to get the best experience when watching a movie. The only solution, Blu-Ray.

The only current temporary solution for those who can actually see the difference and have deep pockets along the way is Blu-Ray.

There I expanded on your closing argument ;)

In general this is irrelevant, by the time Blu-Ray even gets mature and affordible enough to go mainstream other technologies (even if you say plagued with problems now) will mature and take over as they are simply more convenient and expandable and flexible in quality without any new investments for consumer. You can be rest assured that within 5 years Blu-Ray quality will be available through digital downloads, at least I strongly believe so.

You can be rest assured that within 5 years Blu-Ray quality will be available through digital downloads, at least I strongly believe so.

I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. It will require major change/improvement on the Internet infrastructure (FiOS) to allow that to happen without any problems. I still know plenty of people still using dial-up or barely faster cable connection to the Internet because they don't need more, simple browse and e-mails. Many ISP are putting caps on download and charging heavy fee if you happen to use more bandwidth.

And on what are you going to hold all those movie download? OR will it only be streaming? What happen if my connection is down (that happens)?

The way I see it, it's still allot more practical to have a physical media. It's there, available, easy to share/carry with you. And it's a good backup to your all digital media center where you have all your movies ripped.

I know Boz that you don't like Blu-Ray, but try to remember a time NOT so long ago when you where chanting/praising and happy about a physical media called HD-DVD. You where not talking about download at that time. So please, try to look at Blu-Ray with the same common sense. It's almost like you don't even want it to exist and move along straight to digital download.

I find YouTube videos sporadic enough when it comes to streaming (6MBit connection), so I dread the idea of streaming true HD. I'm perfectly happy for digital to take over but only when we get a service that is better than what we have currently. For me I prefer buying games on Steam than the physical copies as I find it more convenient (no tedious installs and insert discs - it does everything automatically), so I'm already part way there. However, I still refuse iTunes because they only offer lossy 16bit files and I'm not paying for digital films when the Blu-ray version will be of higher quality. Blu-ray discs are certainly better quality than HD broadcasts and there is the potential for 500GB Blu-ray discs in the future (it remains to be seen if we will ever get there, though).

We will definitely see HD downloads becoming more common, though whether that will undermine Blu-ray remains to be seen. With ISPs capping bandwidth and the internet infrastructure moaning about YouTube and the BBC iPlayer I think it will be a while yet.

untill a new internet bandwidth solution comes along unfortunately the internet majority of the world is on just isn't suffice to the ability of streaming HDTV/movies and digital distribution of data. Considering the fact that places like here in NZ and australia the prices for international bandwidth traffic is near the same price as petrol in retrospect and such small allowences i don't see this as being any succeeder to physical form media, as good as it would be however. I'm quite happy to have blu-ray stick around for 5 years or so till something easier comes about but in reality blu-ray and beyond the biggest tipping point is going to be cost and price since the whole worlds economy is in the drain people just don't have the money to dispose of easily anymore on these sorts of things.

And what's wrong with DVDs? Great picture, great sound. What more do you want??

Quick?? Last year, the price of a 32" HDTV is about $1,000. Today it's the exact same price. If anything, it's a LITTLE bit lower, but that's it. HDTV prices are falling at a slower pace than a turtle.

untill a new internet bandwidth solution comes along unfortunately the internet majority of the world is on just isn't suffice to the ability of streaming HDTV/movies and digital distribution of data. of things.

It's called Dark Fiber and atleast here in the states the infrastructure is already in place simply underutilized by the populace at large. Google it ;)

It will require major change/improvement on the Internet infrastructure (FiOS) to allow that to happen without any problems. I still know plenty of people still using dial-up or barely faster cable connection to the Internet because they don't need more, simple browse and e-mails. Many ISP are putting caps on download and charging heavy fee if you happen to use more bandwidth.

Just because some people opt to go with 56k speeds and ISPs decide to further regulate their business doesn't mean the infrastructure isn't there; it is and highly developed. Read above.

Quick?? Last year, the price of a 32" HDTV is about $1,000. Today it's the exact same price. If anything, it's a LITTLE bit lower, but that's it. HDTV prices are falling at a slower pace than a turtle.

Excuse you? You can pick up 50" LCD's for less than 1500 and a 32" plasma for about 700. Where do you shop? Prices have dropped and will continue to do so as analyst predicted for two years running.

Hey, you probably should get a HDTV before commenting on things you clearly don't know. What's wrong with DVD? Nothing if you watch your movies on SDTV. But at 720x480 of resolution and aged MPEG-2 codec, it's no match for HD-DVD or Blu-Ray at 1920x1080 and using VC1 codec.

Even using a good upscaling DVD player, watching the same movie on DVD and Blu-Ray, you notice the difference in picture quality, sharpness, color purity and no (or nearly no) trace of digital artifact because of compression, thing you find all the time on a DVD movie, mostly in dark part, you see the mosaic in the picture.

As for sound, I can give you that, I don't see any huge difference between Dolby Digital or Dolby True-HD. The sound quality was excellent on DVD, they raised the bar for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray but the effect is less noticeable. You will need a good/very good surround sound setup to appreciate True-HD.

Last year, I paid almost $3000 for my Sharp Aquos 46" LCD. Today, that SAME LCD cost $1700 or less. If you look at the new model of 46" LCD, the cost will probable be the same or a little bit less. My first DVD player cost me $600 and it was not even progressive(480i only), today you can have one for $70 with HDMI and upconvert (1080p). Price do fall.... You're not watching closely.

HD has vastly better picture quality in comparison to DVDs, especially with larger displays. I was quite amazed at the difference in quality when I saw the original Star Wars trilogy in hi-def - I didn't appreciate that movies from so long ago could look so good.

No

Your completely wrong

DVD's are 720x480 and most of them have interlaced frames

Blu Ray's have a resolution of 1920x1080 Progressive frames.

There's absolutely no comparison between the two regarding to the quality. The only thing that can come close to Blu-Ray is if you actually work at a post house facility and comp with actual 2k+ frames...

Blu Ray is where it's at now if you want to get near-film experience. DVD never was. The DVD standard was conceived for 4:3 interlaced CRT TV's. Blu Ray was designed for digital 16:9 ratio display and progressive frames in mind to better respect film aspect ratio (usually 1.85:1).

Your short comment stating that DVD is good enough is a total failure.

And what's wrong with DVDs? Great picture, great sound. What more do you want?? e. If anything, it's a LITTLE bit lower, but that's it. HDTV prices are falling at a slower pace than a turtle.

Are you still banging this drum?

I've been talking with my coworkers (one of which bought a LaserDisc player and is heavily into movies) and they are almost all saying that they're not planning on buying Blu-Ray until the prices are as cheap as DVD sales. Practically everyone I know is just fine with DVD - my mom is even fine with their $300 20 inch CRT TV watching VHS tapes that have been watched 100 times, that sound terrible on the cheap built in speakers, and with the images warped and muddled.

I doubt she's not alone.

Your short comment stating that DVD is good enough is a total failure.

Obviously it is to the mass market who hasn't adopted the other format! :laugh:

xraffle is right, there is nothing wrong with DVD. The way the other posts are worded makes it seem as if HD was some form of divine revelation brought forth to mankind who otherwise would have continued to exist in darkness; it does look n sound purdy.

Regardless of specs and the the preferred user experience one places vs another, at the end of the day no one can honestly say that DVD's are worthless. For all the bragging on the capabilities of the newer medium fail to prove why the previous is a a total failure. After all it leads in sales ;)

You can be rest assured that within 5 years Blu-Ray quality will be available through digital downloads, at least I strongly believe so.

And there is the kicker. More of what you believe. We know the track record.

This thread was flame bait. Why hasn't it been locked yet?