Samsung: Blu-Ray gone by 2012

And what's wrong with DVDs? Great picture, great sound. What more do you want??

Better sound and better image? If we had used your argument we never would have gotten away from VHS.

Ohh and I use optical media for more than movies. I'd like to see my PC games ect shipping on Blu Ray eventually so I don't have to deal with installs spanning multiple DVD's and so that I can carry out backups to optical media if I wish far more efficiently.

Obviously it is to the mass market who hasn't adopted the other format! :laugh:

xraffle is right, there is nothing wrong with DVD. The way the other posts are worded makes it seem as if HD was some form of divine revelation brought forth to mankind who otherwise would have continued to exist in darkness; it does look n sound purdy.

Did you know that HDTV was out more than 10 years ago? They costed ARMS and LEGS, nobody did buy them. It's just starting to change, price are getting lower and now people are buying them. But the ratio of owner of 4:3 SDTV is still higher, so those people don't see the need to migrate to Blu-Ray. But I suspect that when they do, when they make the jump to HDTV, they will want to see their movies in HD. Unless all those people are not real cinephyle.

So yeah, DVD is still the best seller because their is TONS more DVD player out there. But you can't hide the fact that Blu-Ray IS better than DVD, on all levels. Ignoring that would be stupid.

Did you know that HDTV was out more than 10 years ago? They costed ARMS and LEGS, nobody did buy them. It's just starting to change, price are getting lower and now people are buying them. But the ratio of owner of 4:3 SDTV is still higher, so those people don't see the need to migrate to Blu-Ray. But I suspect that when they do, when they make the jump to HDTV, they will want to see their movies in HD. Unless all those people are not real cinephyle.

So yeah, DVD is still the best seller because their is TONS more DVD player out there. But you can't hide the fact that Blu-Ray IS better than DVD, on all levels. Ignoring that would be stupid.

Yes and IBM has been toying with 3. and 4. + GHZ processors forever now long before Intel made them for consumer usage.

No one can argue that HD allows for higher quality image and sound than standard DVD are capable of reproducing, though it doesn't make it a better product. Any consumable good in the market place must meet a certain set of requirements to be considered worthwhile for consumers on an individual level. We agree on this. The fact that their are a ton of SDTV's in consumer homes can be (but not entirely) attributed to the high cost of purchasing one, though over the last few years sales have jumped. However in contrast the purchase of HD media has not risen in direct correlation to the TVs' sold.

Consumers don't know/don't care; they seem to only want to keep up with the Jones' and have that big ole nice TV in the living room just to say they have it. The full HD experience is expensive, and I believe that I had argued some time back that the price point of entry into HD would be about 4000 USD. Today I'd slash that by almost half, but it is still an investment.

I'm sure something bigger and better is going to come along, but I don't expect it to die off that soon.

The bigger reason is that most people, including myself, don't have a main HDTV set in their home.

The thing is too, assuming Blu Ray takes off now, which I think it will, even if another technology arrives in 5 years it'll most likely have to endure the same 2+ years of being the secondary format just as DVD did and Blu Ray is now. I don't think it's unlikely a new format will be around given companies are looking at things such as holographic disks or flash media as replacement medias, but I wouldn't count on the follow up format being heavily adopted for several years after that.

Regardless of what happens with downloadable films I think there will remain a market and necessity for physical copies to exist too.

I don't know. I would love for Blu-Ray to come down in price. I have the HD-DVD add on for the 360 and love it and the few movies I have. It would be great to transition to all HD.

But, I watch my DVDs on my 360 upconverted or movies on my AppleTV and I cannot complain. For the price of two or three DVDs I can get one Blu-Ray movie. The transition just seems to be a lot harder than the VHS to DVD transition was.

I'd have to agree. Flash memory will take off, look at USB sticks, 4GB for $10. Prices have dropped so low and they are far superior format than a disc. I'd say between digital downloads and flash memory. No more discs.

I'm sure it's been said in this thread already, but in 2012, Blu-Ray will most likely become what DVD is now and the next new format will have similar growing pains as Blu-Ray is having now.

I just can't see digital downloads happening for a while and would much prefer a physical format. As an example, what if it's a rainy day at the cottage and you want to watch a movie, but can't because:

a) The internet is not available.

b) The internet is available, but the satellite is rained out.

c) The internet is available, but you don't want to pay for something you barely use.

Either way, this whole anger fueled thread is based purely on speculation.

Why not avoid the agenda Boz and talk about this when things actually change instead of stirring the pot?

Guys, I'm not saying Blu-ray is bad. Clearly, it has better quality. But the way you all are acting, it's as if you think DVD has such awful quality that we must run out and buy Blu-ray immediately. DVD looks fine to me. As much as Blu-ray may be substantially better than DVDs, DVDs have good enough picture quality to satisfy my needs. VHS had terrible quality from the beginning, which is why people upgraded to DVDs. But DVDs have very good quality and some people, like me, don't see a need in upgrading.

Yes, HDTVs are going down in price, but it's at an extremely slow pace. One person pointed out that HDTVs came out 10 years ago and 'till this day, it still costs a lot of money. I just checked and for a decent 1080p 32" is about $1,000. If you want to go down a step and buy 720p, it's about $700. But that's still a lot. I remember when I used to buy 30"+ CRT TVs for less than $600. It's taking forever for HDTVs to go down at that level. When HDTVs go down in price, I'll get one, but i will not be upgrading to Blu-ray. An upscaled DVD is just fine. I've seen it at my cousin's house.

Personally, I think Bluray won't get sales of what they are expecting. Maybe not as low as DVD-A and SaCD but low anyway

What ever happened to DVD-A?

SSD & Flash storage will become so cheap that Optical will be finished.

Yes exactly.

Imagine 100-200gb pen drives, how much more convenient than a disc.

1. Size
  2. Plays in anything
  3. More reliable
  4. More versatile
  5. Price a lot less as can be used more things.

The list goes on.

I don't know. I would love for Blu-Ray to come down in price. I have the HD-DVD add on for the 360 and love it and the few movies I have. It would be great to transition to all HD.

But, I watch my DVDs on my 360 upconverted or movies on my AppleTV and I cannot complain. For the price of two or three DVDs I can get one Blu-Ray movie. The transition just seems to be a lot harder than the VHS to DVD transition was.

Amazon is your friend in that area. Wal-Mart used to run lower prices but haven't since expanding the selection. BestBuy and Target are MSRP.

Amazon is your friend in that area. Wal-Mart used to run lower prices but haven't since expanding the selection. BestBuy and Target are MSRP.

Too bad that most consumers actually shop at those places. and their prices are $25-$40 per disc. Ocassional sales on Amazon and a few bucks off MSRP won't influence the overall situation as you were so passionate to point out how people actually buy movies at B&M stores and not internet when we were comparing HD DVD and Blu-Ray disc sales.

Talk about double standards.

Gone by 2012? Highly doubt it.

An alternative or new means in the early stages of production and/or being offered? Sure.

The aisles of Blu-ray media at retail and rental stores continue to grow every day.

The aisles of Blu-ray media at retail and rental stores continue to grow every day.

Grow where? I haven't seen new movies come to mine except for 3-4 in a while and my closest store is Super Walmart. The only thing they introduced is one more player in the batch and they are all pretty much in $400 range.

My close Best Buy looks the same every time I go there.. about 400-500 discs in total.. against isles and isles of DVDs.

Just observe your Blu-ray buying habits and movie viewing habits and you will answer your own doubts.

Grow where? I haven't seen new movies come to mine except for 3-4 in a while and my closest store is Super Walmart. The only thing they introduced is one more player in the batch and they are all pretty much in $400 range.

My close Best Buy looks the same every time I go there.. about 400-500 discs in total.. against isles and isles of DVDs.

Just observe your Blu-ray buying habits and movie viewing habits and you will answer your own doubts.

-Grow where? Did all of the studios stop releasing movies? Remind me when they stop pressing BDs.

-Still comparing your local stores? Are these the same stores that you used as a benchmark for your 'HD-DVD is going to kill Blu-Ray before the end of the year' attack on the forums? For you and your argument's sake, I hope not. We all know how that went [both the war and your forum behavior].

-I never once said that people don't buy movies on the internet. Are people more inclined to buy in a B&M store? Of course. If you argue me with that, well, you're just simple. Most people would rather spend a few extra bucks for the convenience of getting what they want 'now' instead of the internet method of click, buy, and wait. However, I really don't see where you were going with that. Seeing as how Blu-Ray owned the format war in every aspect, your stab is pretty baseless. I was merely pointing out that a fellow customer could save a few potential dollars buy surfing the web for his flicks instead of buying from B&M locations.

I'm shocked that the industry as a whole hasn't hired you as their PR guy. You seem to know everything. Really. Troll more (effectively, perhaps?).

Compare the shelves and space of Best Buy today versus one year ago. Remember when they had one little "square" of storage for both Blu-ray and HD-DVD? Now look at Blu-ray of today... it has atleast an aisle and a half here. Might even be a larger selection at larger stores around the country. Hell even the weekly newspaper ads for the retail stores are finally starting to really push the Blu-ray section.

Boz, I really am amazed at the fact that you still live in a state of denial over the loss of HD-DVD and neglect to fully embrace the Blu-ray format. My guess is you had a lot of green invested (be it stocks, options or just plain ol' consumer items) into a dead format and are still seeking vengeance for lost assets. I'd be upset to, but it's time to move on... the format has been chosen.

Yeah, as much as I'm not into Blu-ray, I have to agree with most people here. Blu-ray shelves are indeed growing. When I go to Best Buy, it does look like the Blu-ray shelves are getting bigger every time I visit. Even in Costco, only 1/8 of the DVD table was Blu-ray a year ago. Now today, 3/8 of the table is now Blu-ray.

Still comparing your local stores? Are these the same stores that you used as a benchmark for your 'HD-DVD is going to kill Blu-Ray before the end of the year' attack on the forums? For you and your argument's sake, I hope not. We all know how that went [both the war and your forum behavior].

It's BOZ, we all know since Day 1 of HD-DVD that he hates Blu-Ray with a passion. So whatever good may come from Blu-Ray, Boz will seek and destroy it.

I think many can see from this thread how certain members simply can't address the topic in hand without attacking and flaming other members. Somewhere along the thread it went from what a Samsung high up executive said about Blu-Ray to me hating Blu-Ray..

Stick to the topic or stop insulting and provoking me and get lost.

I think many can see from this thread how certain members simply can't address the topic in hand without attacking and flaming other members. Somewhere along the thread it went from what a Samsung high up executive said about Blu-Ray to me hating Blu-Ray..

Stick to the topic or stop insulting and provoking me and get lost.

are you serious, you are the worst at starting flamewars...

blu ray is the next dvd. Maybe there will be nothing after Blu Ray (in terms of physical distribution). But its not going anywhere and its getting bigger and bigger by the day.

are you serious, you are the worst at starting flamewars...

blu ray is the next dvd. Maybe there will be nothing after Blu Ray (in terms of physical distribution). But its not going anywhere and its getting bigger and bigger by the day.

Ridiculous. By posting news where credible people involved with the technology make statements I'm starting a flame. Wait, I think we should just post news that suit what you think is great. LOL.. Grow up.

The only way this is a flame is if you are a so infatuated with something that you are unable to even considering the facts surrounding it and what other people directly involved with it say.

And that's YOUR OWN OPINION and there's quite a few people that disagree with you, some of them directly from Sony and other BDA members. Sony themselves said that at this point it is most likely that Blu-Ray won't replace DVD, if you actually read news and kept informed you would know that.

You can HOPE that it will replace DVD, but judging by reality and information we can see now it's highly unlikely.

If that's the case, DVDs should die RIGHT NOW! Why DVDs still selling? But man has a point, not too long we will have 2160p, 3240p, etc.

I think it's Ridiculous to think Digital downloading will be the future.

**** That!!! I will ALWAYS be a Physical format Owner, 4 Life!!!