'Ultimate proof' oracle regrets trading in Xbox 360

'Ultimate proof' oracle regrets trading in Xbox 360

by Kyle Orland Sep 5th 2008 6:20PM

Since CNBC analyst Jane Wells granted us poor peons a glimpse into "the ultimate proof Sony is winning" two months ago, we at Joystiq have been eagerly awaiting another chance to hear from her son, the 16-year-old oracle who sealed Microsoft's fate by trading his Xbox 360 for a PS3. And lo, today the all-knowing king of business analysis didst speak once more, granting his youthful wisdom to us poor, unwashed masses.

"Hear me!" came the oracle's booming, high-pitched voice from on high as he surveyed his subjects from his beanbag chair throne. "Though mine PS3 still brings me pleasure, the pleasure of Xbox Live friends may be one that I have treated too lightly. My patience waiting for an offering of new games from Sony has forced me once more to explore the shores of Azeroth. Lo, though times are tough, do not be tempted by the spawn of Nintendo, for I would not be caught dead with that thing."

With that, the doors of knowledge closed with a shattering thud, once again leaving us confused and in the dark. Still, we thank our benevolent information masters for this new glimpse into the heart of the game industry, however brief.

Source: CNBC through Joystiq

09/30/08 Update: Well, there's been an update! :D

Jane Wells' Son - The Epic Conclusion, With A Twist!

We've been following the epic saga of CNBC reporter Jane Wells' son and his on and off love affair with the PlayStation 3 with bated breath here at Kotaku Tower, sitting on the very edge of our seats, feet littered with discarded popcorn containers as we wait and see just what happens next. First he trades in his Xbox 360 for a PlayStation 3, then he misses his Xbox Live friends and turns to World of Warcraft for comfort. Now for the finale which ties it all together!

So this weekend, he dragged his PS3 back to the same Game Stop where he bought it to trade it in for another Xbox. This, even as a friend in line with us complained about his Xbox acting up now that it's out of warranty.

I gasp! Instead of letting the consoles live in harmony, saving his money so he could have both a PS3 and an Xbox 360, young Master Wells instead went the trade-in route, at GameStop, no less. But how could he possibly make enough money to get a console and games with just the PS3? The answer may terrify you.

How did my son come up with the difference between the trade-in price and the new Xbox? He made $300 this weekend selling his decked-out World of Warcraft character on eBay.

Wow. I sure hope he mailed whoever won the CD key and packaging, because otherwise he just violated the End-User License Agreement, and...yeah, nothing at all will happen. $300? Anyone want a level 70 mage?

So all's well that ends well for Jane Wells and her son. He has his Xbox 360 back, and Jane learned some important lessons in the process.

1-the gaming experience is more than a few games and cool graphics.

2-repeatedly doing trade-ins at Game Stop is a money losing proposition.

3-PC games like World of Warcraft can actually MAKE you money.

4-don't talk to your mother about these things.

Oh Jane, we're going to miss these little chats. *wanders off to cry*

Source: Kotaku

Edited by Ironman273

I should learn the backstory to this?

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/22/the-ulti...ps3-is-winning/

It's completely ridiculous and rips all credibility from this "business analyst"'s name. She basically said that the ultimate proof that the PS3 was winning was that her huge 360 fan of a son decided to trade in his 360 for a PS3.

What she doesn't understand is that her son is a moronic fanboy that just goes with what he sees on the interblag.

What it does show is the selling power of the Playstation brand name.

Indeed, I have friends who ride off the name and slate the Xbox 360 without knowing a thing about either consoles apart from the brand :(

Its sad but it happens

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/22/the-ulti...ps3-is-winning/

It's completely ridiculous and rips all credibility from this "business analyst"'s name. She basically said that the ultimate proof that the PS3 was winning was that her huge 360 fan of a son decided to trade in his 360 for a PS3.

What she doesn't understand is that her son is a moronic fanboy that just goes with what he sees on the interblag.

Bwa ha, and she calls her self a business analyst?

Bwa ha, and she calls her self a business analyst?

Exactly. I'm not sure how she got the job if she makes ridiculous conclusions like that.

Stupid kid... Now he is regreting his decision, just like the fat guy who got 3 Zune tattoo's and then got an iPod...

• 4 weeks later...

Well, there's been an update! :D

Jane Wells' Son - The Epic Conclusion, With A Twist!

We've been following the epic saga of CNBC reporter Jane Wells' son and his on and off love affair with the PlayStation 3 with bated breath here at Kotaku Tower, sitting on the very edge of our seats, feet littered with discarded popcorn containers as we wait and see just what happens next. First he trades in his Xbox 360 for a PlayStation 3, then he misses his Xbox Live friends and turns to World of Warcraft for comfort. Now for the finale which ties it all together!

So this weekend, he dragged his PS3 back to the same Game Stop where he bought it to trade it in for another Xbox. This, even as a friend in line with us complained about his Xbox acting up now that it's out of warranty.

I gasp! Instead of letting the consoles live in harmony, saving his money so he could have both a PS3 and an Xbox 360, young Master Wells instead went the trade-in route, at GameStop, no less. But how could he possibly make enough money to get a console and games with just the PS3? The answer may terrify you.

How did my son come up with the difference between the trade-in price and the new Xbox? He made $300 this weekend selling his decked-out World of Warcraft character on eBay.

Wow. I sure hope he mailed whoever won the CD key and packaging, because otherwise he just violated the End-User License Agreement, and...yeah, nothing at all will happen. $300? Anyone want a level 70 mage?

So all's well that ends well for Jane Wells and her son. He has his Xbox 360 back, and Jane learned some important lessons in the process.

1-the gaming experience is more than a few games and cool graphics.

2-repeatedly doing trade-ins at Game Stop is a money losing proposition.

3-PC games like World of Warcraft can actually MAKE you money.

4-don't talk to your mother about these things.

Oh Jane, we're going to miss these little chats. *wanders off to cry*

Source: Kotaku

I bet he misses WoW now so he's going to spend $1,000 getting his character back :p

If only he had half a brain he could have just saved up the money to buy a PS3 in addition to his Xbox and not paid a few hundred dollars in idiot tax to Gamestop

after trading in the 360 for a PS3 and then a second time the PS3 for another 360, not to mention any games I'm sure he's lost enough money that he could have afforded both consoles in the long run. Not to mention his WOW account.

after trading in the 360 for a PS3 and then a second time the PS3 for another 360, not to mention any games I'm sure he's lost enough money that he could have afforded both consoles in the long run. Not to mention his WOW account.

Kids...