Preview images inside zip (or rar) without extracting

Question

14 answers to this question

Just open the zip file in Winzip, double click on the image file (or right click on it, click open). It should open in whatever app the file extension is associated with. Or you can right click, click open with and select any other suitable app. (I have Winzip 11, not sure about earlier versions; Winzip pro has a built in image viewer, but I don't have that).

Edited by JRosenfeld

Yah it would be doing that way but its like you dont have to actually click on each images to have preview rather this application will do it for you. as well it says its fastest image loading app so delay will be very less i guess.

The files still get extracted to a tmp file I believe...

Yes, but the folder and file that are created in the temp folder are automatically deleted when you close both the app in which the file is viewed and the Winzip window that you opened it from.

You can also set the working folder Winzip uses for its temp folder in its options.

impossible, without some form of extraction, since it requires an unzipping of sort to view the files.

The whole point on "Zipping" is to reduce file size, and make it easier to transfer, and it re-writes the files into smaller bytes, making them unviewable / readable, that the human brain can understand

^^^ No - it DOES still extract them.

Look, the thumbnail is created by the OS reading the file - the full image file. It's not stored in header information, so whether it's extracted to memory, filesystem temporarily or filesystem properly - it is STILL extracted. No other way is possible.

^^^ No - it DOES still extract them.

Look, the thumbnail is created by the OS reading the file - the full image file. It's not stored in header information, so whether it's extracted to memory, filesystem temporarily or filesystem properly - it is STILL extracted. No other way is possible.

I think you're being too technical. JPEG, GIF, and PNG files all have to be "extracted" because they're all compressed. The point is, you can do this in memory without extracting to the hard drive, which I think is all the OP wanted.

Plus, some image files have embedded thumbnails. So rather than extracting the full image file, only the embedded thumbnail needs to be extracted.

what's the difference between what they want to do and what vlc kodi mplayer is doing when reading video files through rars

like, i can get kodi to slideshow zips