'LAN/Acquiring Network Address' icon STUCK in the taskbar

I have a bit of an annoying problem where the actual icon for the Local Area Connection of my network gets stuck in the taskbar (where the little yellow dot is moving left and right constantly in front of two blue computers) as it is 'Acquiring Network Address'. The thing is - it connects without any problem, but the icon just keeps staying in the taskbar, the yellow dot moving, and still saying that it's acquiring a network address (even though I can fully access my network and the Internet by this time already).

I THINK that this started happening after I disabled some services. I have the DNS service disabled, along with a few other network related services. I can post a screenshot of all the services I have disabled - maybe one of you will be able to know which service is responsible for this (or is this a post-SP2 problem that is still happening through SP3?).

My OS is XP with SP3.

Would anyone happen to know if there are any service(s) (that I might've disabled) which may contribute to that annoying animated icon to keep staying in the taskbar even after connecting?

Thanks for your help in advance.

I get the same problem, a reboot would probably fix it, it does for me so its not all that much of a problem, restarting explorer might work too.

I have the DNS and DHCP services disabled IIRC.

I don't touch my DNS settings and it works fine. It is a DNS setting that you two both changed. SP3 user here

Can you provide a picture? I am not sure what place you are talking about

I found a similar picture online (cause I rebooted and I don't have that icon anymore since it goes away with a reboot):

image039.jpg

If I were to disconnect my local network cable and plug it back in, then that icon will show up in my taskbar (except it will have a picture of two computers connecting to each other because this is a wired network), and will stay there forever saying that it's 'Acquiring Network Address'... even after it connects.

I had a similar problem under SP2 once. The cause for me was the "Network Location Awareness" service was disabled. When I re-enabled that service, the problem went away. You may want to check the settings to see if it is set to disabled for you. The proper setting should be "Manual."

I had it on one of my several reformats, and my brother is currently having the same issue, It's a bit annoying, but luckily nothing severe as it is simply an icon that is failing to change.

I had a similar problem under SP2 once. The cause for me was the "Network Location Awareness" service was disabled. When I re-enabled that service, the problem went away. You may want to check the settings to see if it is set to disabled for you. The proper setting should be "Manual."

^ I believe your suggestion has solved this problem for me. I set the Network Location Awareness service back to Manual, and now the connection icon behaves properly.

Thanks a lot!

I have the same problem (in XP-SP2, using Windows Zero Config), but for me the Network Location Awareness was *already* set to Manual, so that doesn?t appear to be the cause. I even tried stopping and re-starting the service, but that didn?t change anything.

For me the problem occurs when have I disconnected and reconnected. (It happens at bootup, too, but only 5-10% of the time.) Also, the issue is more prominent with wireless, probably since I connect wirelessly most of the time. One other difference is that I don?t want a connection icon to show at all after the connection is complete. When things work properly all XP connection-related icons go away after the connection is completed, per my WZC settings.

I do have a workaround (for wireless, anyway) that?s simpler than re-booting, but it?s still a minor annoyance that shouldn?t be required: Double-click the taskbar ?connecting? icon, which will bring up the connection screen. Click Properties, and then tick the normally-unticked ?show icon in notification area when connected? option, and then click OK. This causes the animated ?acquiring network address icon? to be replaced with the little monitor icon. Then I immediately repeat the process, except this time I UN-tick ?show icon? to get it to go away completely. (This last step would be unnecessary for people who are fine having the "connected" icon showing. In fact, maybe those who have "show icon in taskbar" selected could untick/re-tick instead of vice-versa.)

Another solution I tried, hiding it using taskbar properties, only works for the current occurence of the issue -- it does not help for future occurences, Besides, I like seeing the actual connection progress graphically, but don?t want it to perpetually show ?acquiring network address? even after connected.

Not that big a deal, but a minor annoyance that shouldn?t occur. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, since the Network Location Awareness Services idea doesn?t do it for me.

Edited by Rick1441

• 1 month later...

For everyone....

I was tweaking my WinXP SP3 services today using Black Viper's website. I disabled

{Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)}

.......set it back to Automatic and start the service......

after doing that my Wireless Network Connection would connect just fine to my router but would display the bouncing yellow dot. I later started the WF/ICS service and the icon went immediately back to normal/connected and was not 'searching'.

I hope this helps!

• 8 months later...
I have a bit of an annoying problem where the actual icon for the Local Area Connection of my network gets stuck in the taskbar (where the little yellow dot is moving left and right constantly in front of two blue computers) as it is 'Acquiring Network Address'. The thing is - it connects without any problem, but the icon just keeps staying in the taskbar, the yellow dot moving, and still saying that it's acquiring a network address (even though I can fully access my network and the Internet by this time already).

I THINK that this started happening after I disabled some services. I have the DNS service disabled, along with a few other network related services. I can post a screenshot of all the services I have disabled - maybe one of you will be able to know which service is responsible for this (or is this a post-SP2 problem that is still happening through SP3?).

My OS is XP with SP3.

Would anyone happen to know if there are any service(s) (that I might've disabled) which may contribute to that annoying animated icon to keep staying in the taskbar even after connecting?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ugh ok So I see you all are having troubles with this I don't know how tech savvy you all r but I count myself somewhat not really and I know that if you go to the icon your talking and click it it should pop up a "Wireless Network Connection Status" Window. From here you now click "Properties" it might be something else but I doubt it... after clicking "Properties" you should now have another windows similar to the one you just had no beside it or somewhere on the screen now.... this window is titled "Wireless Network Connection Properties" to easy cause it was properties we click on just before ha so now in this same windows A.K.A "W.N.C.P" there at the bottom you'll find two boxes if not the this is the problem there should show two boxes... Checked or unchecked. Just go to the one that says this "Show icon in notification area when connected" now if it is checked unckeck it does not matter either way just do it and then hit ok at the bottom of this window now go back in to properties and do the same now.... checking the box! :) vo la you are now done oh and another thing The Services if you know these go into "Admin Tools" under "control panel" and you'll find "Services" Well you may have guessed it... In Serives there is a huh Service called as such: Network Location Awareness (A.K.A (NLA) this will sovle it too without having to do my little get around trick but I do it anyway only for the matter that it saves me having YET another useless SERVICE from da da daa MS :) srry but hey. So that is it for your lesson for today in that lol. Feel free to message me and bombard me with questions to your liking I greet them all with enthusiasm.... Beye 4 now.

Ok just to clear somethings up on the reply I wrote I will say this one more time the icon

your talking about is in fact (WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION) & if you click on it a window should

pop up on your screen. This Window is known as (WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION STATUS). Now in

(WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION STATUS) you will see three buttons first one is

PROPERTIES next DISABLE next VIEW WIRELESS NETWORKS The one you

want is PROPERTIES Click it and yet another window will pop up beside (W.N.C STATUS)

window. Now you should see a window titled WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION PROPERTIES. In the

window there is a lot to look at. At the top you have three TABS You only want to be in is the GENERAL

TAB no other if you are find the GENERAL TAB and CLICK it In the TAB you will see two BOXES at the

Bottom. The BOX you want is the First the one marked as follows: [] Show icon in notification area when

connected that is it! Now weather this BOX is checked or not I do not know. Just trust me here it will work. IF it

is not CHECKED CHECK IT! If that does not work then try this. If it is checked, uncheck it and hit the

OK Button. IF! It is not checked then go and press the OK Button now and do the same as you would

if you had just checked the BOX. Now Go back into PROPERTIES and now CHECK the UNCHECK

BOX. Yes you have done it. What this does is forces the icon to be seen as it is and that is connected if this does

not solve your problem then your connection is not connected and that is the fault of you connection not this

informing. Good Beye Again.

Edited by Max
Removed font change.