Countdown to man's Big Bang begins

Why was it even called the big bang day? Coz all they planned to do was see if the stream of protons would go round. The collisions they are doing later on in the next few months are low energy so basically the speed at what the other partical accelerators do at t the mo.

They're shutting the whole thing down this winter to calibrate the thing for high energy collisions so basically the experiments that could possibly cause a black hole etc wont be happening till next year which is why im confused as to why ppl thought the world was going to end today lol

Every time I read or hear something about this, a quote runs through my head. It was from Dr. Malcolm in 'Jurassic Park';

"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

I like this quote from Jurassic Park "hold on to your butts" lol.

Anyone else concerned, not that we'll get sucked into a black hole, but if this machine decides to throw a hissy fit and explode, it will take half of Europe with it?! 27km in size to go up in smoke would easily wipe out Switzerland!

An explosion of that magnitude would knock the Earth of it's axis, killing us all! *nervous lol*

Anyone else concerned, not that we'll get sucked into a black hole, but if this machine decides to throw a hissy fit and explode, it will take half of Europe with it?! 27km in size to go up in smoke would easily wipe out Switzerland!

An explosion of that magnitude would knock the Earth of it's axis, killing us all! *nervous lol*

Look on the bright side, france and switzerland will get the brunt of it :p

Don't worry about it guys.. Gordon's on the job!

1220898692814.jpg

I can rest easy tonight!

rofl

Look on the bright side, france and switzerland will get the brunt of it :p

So cruel, but as long as I'm okay.....

Stop worrying, none of what you mention could happen.

Firstly, the machine in mostly magnets and cryogenic coolant. Little explosive stuff there. Also, if it did 'hissy fit' pretty much the worst that could happen is that some sub-atomic particles get flung out at high speed into the surrounding rock (and there are systems in place to mitigate even that) or something ends up cryogenically frozen.

Secondly, it's only a 27km ring, the middle bit is empty (of LHC stuff that is, there are towns, a forest etc there). So it's not that big, just spread out a lot. You could probably stack all the bits inside a reasonable sized sports stadium.

Thirdly, even if we stacked all the nuclear weapons on the planet into one spot, and detonated them simultaneously it wouldn't have and measurable impact on the Earth's orbit.

Chill out, nothing bad is going to happen.

This scares me :cry:

Why?

The total output of the LHC is measured at about 20 Tera Electron Volts. 1 TeV = 0.00000016 joules, and it takes 4200 joules to raise the temperature of a litre of water by 1 degree. There isn't even enough juice in the output of this thing to light a cigarette, so why be scared?

There's FAR greater chance of someone breaking in to your home, raping your family, you, and you dog, shooting you all dead, raping your dead bodies and then eating you, than there is of the LHC doing anything dangerous.

They can produce as many reports and reviews as they like. The fact of the matter is that this has never been done before, so how can anybody possibly know the outcome with absolute certainty?

Anyone claiming to know for certain that this wont destroy the world is deluding themselves.

But it has been done before. Not by Man, but by Nature itself. Through the entire history of the Solar System, since the Earth was formed, we have been bombarded by ultra high energy cosmic rays that far exceed the energy capable by the LHC and we are still here. The LHC is expected to accelerate protons to 7x1012 eV, but the most energetic cosmic ray ever detected (also a proton) was 3x1020 eV, which is over 10,000,000 times greater.

Every time I read or hear something about this, a quote runs through my head. It was from Dr. Malcolm in 'Jurassic Park';

"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

I totally agree although the film watered down Malcolms point, its a much more intelligent point in the book.

There's FAR greater chance of someone breaking in to your home, raping your family, you, and you dog, shooting you all dead, raping your dead bodies and then eating you, than there is of the LHC doing anything dangerous.

Hmmm, finally, I think that something going wrong with the LHC could be better than what you're describing... Graphic violence!

Well it has been switched on and we are all still here. :)

They have sent a particle through it in one direction successfully. Took them only an hour, and they thought it would take a couple if it even worked. They are saying they may send a particle the other way this afternoon.

There is fairly regular coverage on BBC News 24, for those who can get it and are interested. I'm finding it fascinating and am learning so much (physics isn't my strong point either).

Edit: It seems they may be sending it the other way now!

Well the Firing up of the LHC was sucessful but they haven't made any collisions yet....but will in the coming months before Winter.

Any dates on the first collision would be good.... come on CERN....don't hold any secrets now... lol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7604293.stm

CERN's site:

http://public.web.cern.ch/public/

when the first nuclear bomb was tested many said it would incinerate the earth atmosphere and we all would die. Nothing of that happened.

Not the best example, considering what we've managed to do with atomic energy...