[Official] New Xbox Experience (or Fall 2008 Update)

The New Xbox Experience - What You Want to Know

Many of those who got to attend PAX got a look at the New Xbox Experience - specifically the dashboard. Now it's everyone else's turn to get the goods on what's coming your way. Even those who saw the demo will learn some new things. Every Friday, we want to bring you information that will hopefully answer some of the questions you've been asking. Granted, we may not have something every single week but check back, anyway. After all, you don't want people to point and laugh at your lack of knowledge, right?

For our first week we wanted to show you how the Games Played slot will look in the New Xbox Experience.

It will become obvious for the next few Wednesdays that my team is Gamerscore obsessed. Let's be honest, with high Achievement counts, it was sometimes a pain having to scroll through all of them to see how well we were doing. Once the New Xbox Experience launches that will all change.

When you click on your Gamercard in the New Xbox Experience you will see some familiar options; your messages will be accessible, you will be able to edit your profile or update your Avatar, manage your account, switch profiles (if you have multiple profiles) and change the Theme (more on Themes in the coming weeks). From here you will also be able to see every game you?ve played on your Xbox 360.

2848768817_1650b962bd.jpg

Check out the screen shot up there (click it for different sizes). The team has created a mock account for Major Nelson (Yes, we know the Gamerscores don?t match up on his account but that is because we created this screen shot on a build that is still being worked on).

The first card shows all of the Achievements you?ve unlocked and lists out your overall Gamerscore and the highest possible Gamerscore you could have based on the games you?ve played. To the right of that every game you?ve played will have its own card that fans out. If you?ve played 3 games (like this account has), you will have 3 cards. 500 games? All 500 will fan out on your screen. You can check out what Achievements you?ve unlocked per game and what you have left to work on.

We?ll have more updates like this until we launch this fall so make sure you keep checking back for the next set of screens and details.

Source: Gamescore Blog

based on his comments I am guessing we are still a good few weeks away before the actual update... I guess I should send my 360 in now for its rrod repairs... ive been holding off since its been working ok...

based on his comments I am guessing we are still a good few weeks away before the actual update... I guess I should send my 360 in now for its rrod repairs... ive been holding off since its been working ok...

I get the feeling that this weekly update is build up to actual release in Oct or Nov? So last update on Friday before the update Tuesday?

Wow, is it just me, or have the Menus/Graphics improved since NXE was first introduced? Looks great! (Y)

They've improved IMO, first thing I noticed.

Yes definitely send it off while you have the time.

They've improved IMO, first thing I noticed.

I noticed that first thing as well. I looked at that screen shot and wondered if I was looking at the same NXBE. :p

Menus and graphics look slick, but I'm not too keen on the avatars.

However they don't really bother me much.

Really? I'm really looking forward to how the avatars will be implemented to the whole update xD

Really? I'm really looking forward to how the avatars will be implemented to the whole update xD

I don't mind virtual representation/avatars, heck I'm looking forward to PS3 Home, but I prefer it when they're more "optional".

I have to go enter Home to use it, and on the Wii my Avatar only really ever appears in-games, not on the menus.

But on the 360 it seems like my Avatar will be appearing on various menu pages - (Don't know this for sure yet, just going by screens).

I prefer my menu/OS on my consoles to be clean/minimal and sleek.

However as I said, it doesn't really bother me that much at all, looking forward to the update (Y)

I prefer my menu/OS on my consoles to be clean/minimal and sleek.

I've liked having clean and minimal menu's so far. However also judging my screens the menu's will still be very minimal and clean :p

I've liked having clean and minimal menu's so far. However also judging my screens the menu's will still be very minimal and clean :p

Oh it is clean and minimal in the new update, more-so than the current which im so glad about. Current dash is nice, but it's a little cluttered for me.

The new dash takes elements from things I'm familiar with, like the Wii's icon graphics (big icons to represent various channels), the PS3 XMB navigation (left to right, right to left) and does its own thing as well. It's good.

What I mean is take the picture on page 1

2848768817_1650b962bd.jpg

Why is the avatar needed to be shown there? Would rather it was just the menus.

That's all :p

Oh it is clean and minimal in the new update, more-so than the current which im so glad about. Current dash is nice, but it's a little cluttered for me.

The new dash takes elements from things I'm familiar with, like the Wii's icon graphics (big icons to represent various channels), the PS3 XMB navigation and does its own thing as well. It's good.

What I mean is take the picture on page 1

-snip=

Why is the avatar needed to be shown there? Would rather it was just the menus.

That's all :p

I see what you mean, I can't imagine it affecting myself, although the avatar is unnecessary to a certain extent.

Menus and graphics look slick, but I'm not too keen on the avatars.

However they don't really bother me much.

I agree, i'm really liking those new menus. Seems to have struck the happy medium between the overly cluttered current dash and the overly mimimal lots of wasted space XMB - I really think that will work well.

As for the avatars... I don't know. I'm not too keen on them, that and they just seem like a wii rip off. It might give contacts more of a 'human' element, but it doesn't do much for me either. I do like the fact they will be optional though, you can just not use them if you don't want to, which i'll probably opt for. By the sounds of it though, i'm really looking forward to this update