[Official] New Xbox Experience (or Fall 2008 Update)

What the **** is that Mii style character doing on my Xbox?

**** no.

Rumor has it that RAREware was working the avatar system before Miis were announced on the Wii; I can't confirm but I felt like it would be interesting to let you know of such a possible case.

2848768817_1650b962bd.jpg

I got one question since when did MN has 1095 GS :blink: . Right now MN has 20,000+ GS and that was way back in 2006 that he had 1000 GS, so either this "Screenshot" us shopped or they've been working on this since 360's release.

:wacko: Man I am putting too much though into this. :wacko:

I got one question since when did MN has 1095 GS :blink: . Right now MN has 20,000+ GS and that was way back in 2006 that he had 1000 GS, so either this "Screenshot" us shopped or they've been working on this since 360's release.

It's a test build, and they're using a fake account. Says so in the article, but I'm far too lazy to go back and quote it :p

I'm really excited for this update, and it is definitely looking a bit sleeker than it did when it was introduced. That's a much nicer style gamercard as well, hopefully they use that universally.

Yeh dude it's just a mock-up of what accounts would look like - chillax holmes! :p

Why is the avatar standing all gay like that? What's up with those clothes? Somone call the fashion police.

Looks good, except for the avatars, I didn't think they had to go through with that. Especially after Nintendo got the first crack at it.

I love the avatars, personally :/

I'm not sure why it matters that Nintendo has the Miis; it doesn't change the fact that we've got a new implementation of your visual representation available from Microsoft now. You can still use the gamerpics if you want (at least that's what I heard shortly after avatars were announced), so if you don't like the way they look you don't have to use them.

Anyway, I'm going to be enjoying all aspects of this update for sure (Y)

I really hated the 'Miis' to begin with, so I guess it's a biased opinion :rofl:

Yeah, at least the Mii's stayed in their own channel and didn't get all up in yo faice.

They might look a little lame and Mii like now but if they start selling Master Chief helmets, Gears of War body armour in a funny looking way it will be awesome and used by many. If they just go for basic clothing with some funky stuff thrown in, it will suck. I think publishers will be creating all sorts of stuff to go with their games so not worried. I bet this takes off and critics will be silenced.

^^^ I think they will be. Devs have asked MS to let them mess with the Avatars, like selling game specific things for them. Just another bit of customization on top of normal themes really.

at least they don't have to walk around in towns and have their own house and have to distract everyone doing the ROBOT and FLAMENCO while people are trying to watch a trailer

What I mean is take the picture on page 1

2848768817_1650b962bd.jpg

Why is the avatar needed to be shown there? Would rather it was just the menus.

That's all :p

Easy answer - because it's his profile, it does actually make sense to show his avatar while you're there.

Microsoft has a separate entity to Xbox Live called "partnernet". Think of it like a beta version of Live, where all the 360 developers (i.e. people like namco, rare, etc.) can test out their games and such. In fact, if you have access to partnernet, you can get access to XBLA content before it even comes out. But since it's completely separate to Live, it has entirely different accounts (in fact, I believe the accounts are wiped quite regularly) which is why a lot of shots like this contain accounts that either don't exist on Live or are quite different.

Why is the avatar standing all gay like that? What's up with those clothes? Somone call the fashion police.

It's major nelson, he's old enough to be your dad, of course he's going to have rubbish taste =P

NXE - What You Want to Know: Avatars

We know many of you are very opinionated about the upcoming Avatars in the new Xbox experience. For this week's inside look, Major Nelson has created a video to show how simple it is to create your online persona. Want to just pick any look and jump into a game? Fine - It's easy! Want to really get into it and create a detailed Avatar? Go for it - This video will show you how.

Source: Gamerscore Blog

The video is hosted on Soapbox which I have no idea how to embed here in neowin. Hit the source to watch it. The new interface feels pretty fast - really really fast to me. The avatars look and move pretty fluid but I am kinda certain that I will ignore them beyond basic curiosity.

Edit: err almost forgot. thanks to S_X for the link. :)

Yeah saw on MNelson's site couple of hours ago. There was a little long loading time but after that it was just smooth.

But I still think this is little childish with this avatar thing. If they had like Master Chief, Sam Fisher, All the girls from DOA and DOA volleyball (With/without bikini's) Then I don't mind. :p

Majornelson has a nice little preview up of what to expect with avatars.

For those of you who don't want to or cant watch the video, new information (that I gathered) is as follows:

* They seem to be pretty mandatory, you have to pick one when your 360 updates

* The level of customisation seems quite extensive, definitely a lot more than Nintendo's Miis

* You can make them burp on demand (no, really)

And that's about it!

Linky winky: http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/09/19/...at-avatars.aspx

As much as I dislike their "cute, cuddly" sort of look, they don't seem too bad to me and I'll happily make the most of mine.

Edited by Kushan