[Official] New Xbox Experience (or Fall 2008 Update)

In what way do you think Halo pushes the 360 then?

It's a technically solid game, but I certainly hope you don't think it's pushing the 360. Far better 360 games technically, graphics wise/physics wise/etc will come out than Halo 3, and already are.

I'd still believe hard drive loading will outpace DVD any day.

What I think it is is Halo 3 is optimised for DVD, however if it were patched/optimised for hard drive also, it would be quicker or on par at least.

Of course loading from the Hard drive is faster than Loading from the DVD, nobody's ever going to disagree with that, but the point I was trying to make is that loading from BOTH at the same time is surely going to be the fastest.

was a new update today, no info about what changed though. except all the new clothes and accesories with got a ew days ago are now gone again. Didn't remove re oved clothes from the avatars though so they're still i the system.

This is what he probably meant (I am guessing here...):

1. GoW renders one city block, extremely well and detailed etc etc.

2. Halo 3 reneders the whole city and then some more (If you have seen some out of the map panoramas, then you will see what I am talking about)

#1 gives you pretty looks and shiny ooh aah graphics but smaller areas to move around

#2 gives you average looks but much larger areas to wander around.

I never understood why Bungie rendered some of the stuff they did in Halo3, but it's their game.

was a new update today, no info about what changed though. except all the new clothes and accesories with got a ew days ago are now gone again. Didn't remove re oved clothes from the avatars though so they're still i the system.

I wonder why they would be swapping back and forth what clothes they have on there.

Edit: Yes so a lot of the stuff is gone, that really sucks. What is the deal?

Edited by Mystic

It might be because of the bug with the stars on new items. (they overed up info text) or it might simply be that they're being held back untill launch day.... ooooor... they where accidentlly released and are "premium" clothes you have to pay for....

Notice everything with a star(indicating it's new) is gone, even the pixelart hoodie that was there on the 1st.

It might be because of the bug with the stars on new items. (they overed up info text) or it might simply be that they're being held back untill launch day.... ooooor... they where accidentlly released and are "premium" clothes you have to pay for....

Notice everything with a star(indicating it's new) is gone, even the pixelart hoodie that was there on the 1st.

I figured something with the stars was "extra" put I hope they aren't already implementing pay systems for clothes... :x

Well, first of all, I never said it "pushed the 360" at all. I think you misinterpreted my post. What I was saying was that the caching system and optimizations made are(/where?) cutting edge. They're always doing something unique development wise (which is why I said they pushed the envelope.

That's all strictly from a technical standpoint, I'm not even referencing what they've done to the franchise/genre (just in Halo 3, that is).

Now, in reference to graphics, it's a shame that their choice of "breadth" over "depth" wasn't seen as such. They meant Halo 3 to be an epic game, both on scale and other factors. Just like dhan and Ricardo pointed out, their dual-rendering system shouldn't be mistaken with poor graphics. So, graphically, although they may not be "pushing the graphics envelope", they still are pushing the 360 in terms of horsepower.

I don't really want to get into this debate, but I'd like to point out that "dual rendering" is by no means anything new and in fact there are usually several rendering passes on modern games (I believe Source these days make 3 passes for HDR stuff alone). I'm not saying anything bad about Bungie or Halo as such, I'm just saying that I wouldn't read too much into it.

Oh yeah, I was not debating that at ALL, I was just pointing out that the technique is nothing new and chances are even in Halo 3, more than two rendering passes are made per frame.

Can I use my hard drive in someone else's 360?

I have NXE installed.

Reason I'm asking is I can't get on Live to buy/download Guitar Hero songs.

I thought I read if you swap hard disks it installs NXE on another persons console, is that true? Hope not :p

^ No, the console ID won't match up with the ones that have been flagged to allow Live on NXE.

IIRC it still asks you if you want to update. Just saying no will use the dashboard installed on the console.

IIRC it still asks you if you want to update. Just saying no will use the dashboard installed on the console.

Oh okay, I thought it would use the NXE residing on the HDD since the NXE requires a storage device.

So that means I can put my hard drive in my mates 360, sign into live then buy some GHWT songs and then put my hard drive back in my console?

I just don't want NXE installing on my mates console, he'll be angry :p

Hawkman, how did you get your gamerpic? I took mine 2 days ago and all that's showing up on xbox.com is the big X in my pic. And we got another update today?

http://avatar.xboxlive.com/avatar/HawkMan79/avatarpic-l.png

use that url

-s for a smaller one, and there's another one for the full upper body.

So that means I can put my hard drive in my mates 360, sign into live then buy some GHWT songs and then put my hard drive back in my console?

No, if you plug your HDD into a non NXE console. it will get the update, but he won't e able to connect to live.

all thos invited to the NXE preview are warned of this in the invite mail.

That's the thing I don't remember :/. I once updated a friend's arcade with my hard drive, but I just don't remember if it asked to update when it booted.