• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

XBOX Live, Powerbook/iBook, Wireless Broadband

Schuyler    0

I'm considering getting a Mac. Let's say I get an iBook or a 17'' Powerbook. By using Airport Extreme, can I use the wireless internet for the laptop and XBOX Live. I heard the laptop can function as a router or something. I'm not sure........

If this can somehow work, can I also connect my Playstation 2?

realmccoy    0

You could but you are still going to have buy a router or AirPort Extreme Base Station .

realmccoy    0

Buy this Linksys WRT54G, " http://www.linksys.com/splash/wrt54g_splash.asp " this way you can use your wirless Apple , and can plug your XBOX into the Linksys

If you are planning on using your Apple as a gateway remember that you have it ON when you are using the XBOX live service.

or

If you want your XBOX to be wireless also buy the Linksys WET11 " http://www.linksys.com/splash/wetxbox.asp "

Island Roots    0

FYI, I just tried this with my Airport enabled iBook. I have the Linksys wireless router (BEFW11S4).

Anyways, I tried to connect my PlayStation 2 to my iBook through the Ethernet port, turned on Internet Sharing, and it didn't work. I tried both a crossover cable and a straight-through cable.

However, when I tried to connect a PC to my iBook, I couldn't get the Internet either, so some setting on my laptop wasn't working.

Sony doesn't offer support for wireless setups, in case you were to run into any trouble.

frod    0

did you make sure you enabled internet connection sharing on your ibook? stupid question i know, but it never hurts to double check.

Island Roots    0
did you make sure you enabled internet connection sharing on your ibook? stupid question i know, but it never hurts to double check.

:yes:

cerbero    0

Well anyway, using a portable computer as a router for other devices in your home isn't the best choice really.. For obvious (?) reasons (the portability being a hint) ;)