Cheap new Leica gear

What is the deal with these Leica cameras? They're so damn expensive! I'd much rather buy an ultra high end Canon or Nikon DSLR. I looked at a bunch of flickr pictures and I really don't see the "razzle dazzle". Some of the images looked pretty bad too.

yeah I just checked some pictures too and I didn't think they looked very good. Maybe it's more of a fad or cult.

dpreview rated the build quality as a 10. I've never seen a small camera with that high of a quality.

Rangefinders have their pros and cons. Some like it, some don't. They're virtually silent compared to slrs and are much smaller, with a brighter viewfinder. Great for street photography.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorial...ngefinder.shtml

I don't see how anyone can knock the quality of shots that a leica can take. It's all dependent on the photographer--people have taken some **** photos with medium format cameras.

yeah I just checked some pictures too and I didn't think they looked very good. Maybe it's more of a fad or cult.

dpreview rated the build quality as a 10. I've never seen a small camera with that high of a quality.

Finally, someone who agrees with me. I thought I was alone there. I agree, it must be a trend of some kind. The same way certain people prefer old style Harley Davidson motorcycles over newer high performance bikes.

What is the deal with these Leica cameras? They're so damn expensive! I'd much rather buy an ultra high end Canon or Nikon DSLR. I looked at a bunch of flickr pictures and I really don't see the "razzle dazzle". Some of the images looked pretty bad too.

Aside creating the best lenses they are quite different from SLRs. You cant really compare them.

Fad or cult? :s Some of the best photographers in history like Cartier Bresson, Robert Capa, Brassae and Luis Mercado ( :shiftyninja:) uses rangefinders.

Seriously people, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you dont know about rangefinders, what they do or Leica lenses then please, stop making yourself look bad.

Finally, someone who agrees with me. I thought I was alone there. I agree, it must be a trend of some kind. The same way certain people prefer old style Harley Davidson motorcycles over newer high performance bikes.

My God! Are you really a photographer? do you understand about photography? :s

Honestly I cant believe the comments here.

Film has much higher resolution than any crop dslrs. I don't get how people can knock the quality. :s

Because, you know, newer is ALWAYS better :rolleyes:

ahhhhhh

interesting

"Because of their significantly smaller size RF cameras are usually taken by the layman as just another point-and-shoot. Whereas a Canon EOS1v or a Nikon F5 says pro, a Leica whispers amateur to the uninitiated. Just the thing for candid street shooting."
Yuppers, it's exactly what I would have thought too. How noobish :(
"Finally, and for many people possibly most importantly, an RF camera dictates a different way of seeing. With an SLR we see the potential photograph on the groundglass. It looks something like the picture we're going to get. That's one of this type of camera's great appeals. With an RF camera though we are looking through the viewfinder at the subject. We are in the photograph, isolating that part which is to be captured. That's why RF cameras excel with wide-angle lenses. The image we see is three dimensional, not flat. A very different way of seeing, more involving, and one that though it takes some getting used to can really invigorate ones visualization."
WHAT? :wacko: This makes no sense to me. I think it means that you can see a frame that the camera will capture, but the viewfinder is larger than the frame so you can see what is outside of the camera's view.

ahhhhhh

interesting

Yuppers, it's exactly what I would have thought too. How noobish :(

WHAT? :wacko: This makes no sense to me. I think it means that you can see a frame that the camera will capture, but the viewfinder is larger than the frame so you can see what is outside of the camera's view.

That definition its quite on the poetic side, read this, taken from better sources: A rangefinder camera is a camera fitted with a rangefinder: a range-finding focusing mechanism allowing the photographer to measure the subject distance and take photographs that are in sharp focus. Most varieties of rangefinder show two images of the same subject, one of which moves when a calibrated wheel is turned; when the two images coincide and fuse into one, the distance can be read off the wheel.

Here is something about Leica: Leica Camera AG is a leading German optical company that has been designing and developing cameras since 1913...

A fad from 1913? :s

Here is something about Leica: Leica Camera AG is a leading German optical company that has been designing and developing cameras since 1913...

A fad from 1913? :s

nooooooooooooooo I'm sorry :wilted_rose: I just didn't understand

nooooooooooooooo I'm sorry :wilted_rose: I just didn't understand

No prob man, its just that it really gets a little on my nerves when someone disses something, anything, without understanding it. But in the end we all learn, its all good (Y)

Forgive me for my ignorance. I simply made the mistake of looking at a bunch of bad sample images. I guess it's a great camera when you have the money to buy it. Personally, I wouldn't get one even if I did have the money for it. I'd much rather buy an ultra high end DSLR camera. But hey, that's just me. :p

The Technology of Super CCD EXR offers three main changes from previous Fujifilm sensors. These are a new arrangement of the mosaic colour filter, a new method of pixel binning and a complete revision of the electronic charge control.

----------

smithsan

promoter

Photokina 2008: Leica has today unveiled a brand new autofocus DSLR system designed for professional users, which is configured around a 30x45mm sensor (i.e. 56% larger than 35mm full-frame). The S-system will utilize an advanced new dual shutter, with both an in-body focal plane shutter for fast lenses, and in-lens leaf shutters for high flash sync speeds. The first camera, the S-2, will feature a 37.5 megapixel CCD sensor in a weatherproof body which is similar in size and handling to conventional 35mm-type DSLRs. The new ?Maestro? image processing system provides twice the operating speed of current medium-format backs, significantly reduced power consumption, and allows production of in-camera JPEGs. The company has also developed a range of nine new lenses, including macro, ultra-wideangle, and tilt-and-shift designs. The lenses will include 24mm ultrawide, 35mm wide, 70mm standard, 100mm short tele, 120mm macro, 180mm telephoto, and 30mm tilt-and-shift optics ? more details to be added as we get them.

LEICA_S2_001.jpg

More detail on dpreview

yummy

The button-less back and circular VF make the camera look so futuristic. At 37.5MP, it's just begging you to become a hitman so you can make enough money to buy it.