[GENTOO] The Security Guide

Hadn't really done much hard toying with my Gentoo boot, but since I'm on spring break, decided to go and toy with it a lot. Decided to first start with getting it really secure (I'm one of those people who doesn't like to leave anything open to chance). So I go look into the security guide on the Gentoo site...and boy is that thing comprehensive (read long....36 pages). So I'm wondering what parts people actually used on it....or if you used it at all. If not, how'd you tighten your box? Any good programs to emerge to tighten up?

Here's a good resouce.... http://tldp.org/ seach for security here ;) . But I'm not an RTFM guy so here's some more help.........

It depends on how your computer is hooked up to the net. If its directly connected to the net, then you should follow a bit more carefully, otherwise if its on a firewall general security is in order.

The lilo password is useless since someone with PHYSICAL access to the computer can easily cirumvent it and the root password. What you want to do is stop someone from remotely accessing your computer which is why a strong password is good.

You need a logging system if not for hack attempts but for finding where a problem happened. Syslogd has been around for a long time and its easier to get help in books/documentation with it.

tcp_wrappers ( Host.deny & host.allow ) since its really easy to setup and well documented. I'd throw in a firewall script and disable web/ftp servers and you should be safe.

If you're not playing anygames or ICQ type stuff .... follow the stuff in /proc and disable ICMP responses. Some apps need it so you just need to add 1 instead of 0 to the command if you disable it.

Skip the rest of the stuff. If you don't know how to do above, now is a good time to learn !!!!! ;) so get to the RTFM'ing. I think I did a good enough job you won't think of me as an RTFM'er ;)

BTW - Backup your Gentoo system as well. Saves a lot of time since it takes so long to compile. If someone "hacks you" its a lot easier to recover.