[review] iPhone 3G 16gb

I have the Touch and Safari also crashes quite a lot on bigger pages with images and stuff on it.

What about images and pictures? If I put pictures on it via iTunes they look perfect, however iTunes seems to resample them or do something to them before copying onto the device. I put like 200MB of fotos via iTunes on it, and they take almost 1GB of space on the device. Does this also happen on the iPhone?

And what about downloaded and saved pictures from the intranet? They look like total crap and unfocused. Has this been resolved meanwhile? Do they look great if you take them with the camera on board?

as far as i know, the pictures are being resized to fit the resolution. that sucks because if you put a lets say 1280*800 wallpaper of yours on your iphone to use it, its being refitted so that the 1280 become 320 pixels because the iphones resolution is 320*430... that makes the whole panning and zooming gestures more or less useless since the pictures are not high res.

the same goes for pictures downloaded from the internet with mobile safari but somehow even 320*480 pictures get resized so that they are a little smaller and therefore out of focus if you stretch them to be fullscreen or your wallpaper... pretty stupid if you ask me.

the pictures taken with the camera though look great on the iphone and are zoomable because they are saved in the full resolution.

if the lightning conditions are alright, the iphones camera is among the best in cellphone cameras although it has no autofocus and "only" 2mpx.

they are sharp and they dont suffer vignetting.

really a good cam for snapshots. thats what the camera is supposed to be, a snapshot cam for quickly taking a picture of that old beautiful lake in the sunset and then send them via email. and the iphones camera does the job very well imho.

ive attached a few pictures that cover some lighning conditions... not bad for a cellphone cam imho... this is the orignal resolution, no editing and all. straight off the iphone.

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

...you get the idea...

and keep in mind that i dont clean the lense (which has no scratches at all btw and i keep my iphone in my pocket without any protection) everytime i take a quick picture. there might be fingerprints on it and so the pictures are not perfectly sharp. however, a quick photoshop does the trick. one should resize cellphone pictures anyways. ;)

Edited by instant.human

• 1 month later...

so... recently i have discovered some flaws on the hardware-side which eventually let me send in my iphone.

i have some cracks on the upper right and upper left corner - no go.

i have dust under the glass right on the display - no go.

the volume-buttons are a little loose, they can move. its only 1mm or something but its a no go.

ive overseen the scratches on my display although a good friend of mine has his iphone unprotected since it first came out (2g) and sometimes he just keeps it in a hipbag with his keys along and there is not a single scratch but yea...

ive talked to apple and tmobile and its not at all a problem to let it be fixed, its just something that really ****es me off, after all i never dropped it and i really handle it with care.

just wanted to let you know. =)

the apple-guy said its hardware fault because my iphone 3g was one of the first shipments of units sold in germany... i dont know if that really counts as an excuse but by now i am not amused.

im gonna let you know how long it took, what i got for replacement during the time my iphone was sent in (its not going to be an iphone since tmobile doesnt offer iphones for replacement) and yea..

take care you gals and guys!

My iPhone 3G 16gb, which i got only 6 months ago has started to stop playing music now and then for no reason until i start the music again.

That being said, i have not tried upgrading the firmware at all, so this is something i will try at some point...

Why would you even consider a phone to act as a camera? If you're looking for a real camera upgrade, get a dedicated digital camera. Phones having high megapixel counts is just marketing fluff, and means very little, anyway.

QFT!!

So many people insist their camera is good because it's "Five megapixels!!!111"

Seriously, people just don't seem to understand pixels aren't everything! My brother's Nikon D40 at 6MP would kick the **** out any phone :p

-Rich-

I have to say I do like my iPhone 3G a lot.

The first thing is exchange, I tried setting up a https exchange server on an HTC Touch and it sucked, it was so stupidly difficult and annoying. My iPhone did it without question, it was quick, easy and so much more simple. :D

he 3G is amazing, again comparing to an HTC Touch on o2, the 3G is not matchable. I ran a speedtest on my iPhone and managed to get 4Mb out of it, I'm more than happy with that :).

GPS is great, works better than the Touch too. Finds me almost instantly everytime to the street too hehe.

For ?45 a month for Unlimited SMS, Unlimited 3G internet, 500 Minutes of calls, access to loads of hotspots and 16GB of storage for apps and music I can't complain.

My iPhone is a little slower after jailbreaking but that doesn't bother me too much.

My iPhone 3G 16gb, which i got only 6 months ago has started to stop playing music now and then for no reason until i start the music again.

That being said, i have not tried upgrading the firmware at all, so this is something i will try at some point...

My iTunes in Windows does this occasionaly, randomly skips to the next song before finishing the song it was playing too. Not 2 seconds before, sometimes can be a minute or so.

I think what he means is, the SMS app is not as functional as it could be. You can't forward or receive MMS for example but it does look better than most SMS apps lol.

Can you go into more detail over what you meant there.

sure. sorry. ;)

it looks nice. the whole ichat-y-ish look is great and you can really see your sms "conversations".

i like that its sorted by recievants and then by time so the latest updated "conversation" is on top of the list.

you cannot delete individual messages though which might be a nogo for someone who cheats on his wife. :p

you can also not see how many characters you have written. given the fact that sms should be free that would be nice. if sms were free.

but it can happen that you accidentaly type 161 characters and pay for two sms respectively have two sms less on your 40 free sms (in germany) without even noticing it.