Best Buy Geek Squad Interview Test

where i worked we didnt get more than 5% on instore electronics (computer stuff) but every once and a while we would get a KICK ass deal online, like 300.00 off of a core 2 extreme, or 500.00 off on a laptop, etc.

The discount isn't as good as you'd think. It's cost + 10%, so if cost on a $59.99 game is $51.99, you walk out paying $57.99 before taxes... :/

The discount here is cost + 5% and if cost on a $1200 TV is $900 then you are paying $945 which I think is pretty good.

Here in Canada, it's cost + 10%. It applies to any product, although on items like computers, the discount is either under $10 dollars or you have to pay more than the regular price because in some cases cost is higher then selling price. I've bought a few things on regular price, but used my staff discount on the Performance Plan. ;)

How are you liking it so far? It's a great place to work to be honest. Although, the hours can be too much for someone going to school full-time like myself. :(

If Windows could not boot in normal mode or safe mode how would you go about retrieving the customers data?

Is there an easier way than an in place installation to do this?

I would usually run chkdsk when I ran into this sort of problem and most of the time that did the trick.

PS - I'm not being sarcastic and apologize for jacking the thread.

I get a lot of laptops which can be a pain to hook up in a slave driver (unless they're SATA, then its not so bad) so I typically use the "Ultimate Boot CD for Windows" or sometimes a Ubuntu Live CD and then mount the drive then copy the files to an external hard drive.

That said...

warwagon's questions are pretty good, I have some that I wrote up for one of the help desk jobs at work. Relate more to a network environment but are good for a more consulting or Geek Squad type job as well... they're on my work PC but when I get in tomorrow I'll post them up here.

Edited by Marshalus

Here are some of my questions I wish they would ask.

How do you access the device manager?

How do you go about updating a driver?

How would you navigate to the windows directory from a command line?

How do you create a shortcut of an application and put it on the desktop? (had someone who did computer work for someone before me, and their idea of a shortcut to paint was Moving mspaint.exe to the desktop

How do you enter safe mode?

If Windows could not boot in normal mode or safe mode how would you go about retrieving the customers data?

How important is it that customers install windows updates?

How do you install a hard drive / ram / DVD / CD Drive.

you forgot: how do you turn on the computer

Which key is the "any" key?

actually he's serious i had a bb interview. they

Discount is cost + 5%, and that applies to everything from computers to tv's and appliances. And yes, the discount is sweet...

Congrats on the job! I'm sure you'll like it. As for the people that say it sucks they must have had a bad store because I like mine...

And as for upselling and things like that. Of course you are going to do that...it's a business. You need to make money in order to keep that business going.

If it were my own business I would do the same exact thing.

• 1 year later...

I just got back form my interview for geek squad......

i feel it went good.

in the end, she told me..... "ok thanks, I will contact you to schedule you for a 3rd manager interview"....

what does that mean? got the job? didnt get the job? might have the job??

thnx

-J

I just got back form my interview for geek squad......

i feel it went good.

in the end, she told me..... "ok thanks, I will contact you to schedule you for a 3rd manager interview"....

what does that mean? got the job? didnt get the job? might have the job??

thnx

-J

It means you didn't get laughed at and they consider you at least good enough to move on to the next stage of the interview process. A manager's time is money and he wouldn't waste it on someone who's been good enough to pass through 2 interviews. Although, a third interview seems like a really long winded application process... every job I've been to has had just the one interview before being given the job (or denied the job, haha).

Good luck with the job, and Best Buy isn't as bad as everyone says...

No, they're worse. I worked for them for an entire year, and they let me go over the most asinine reason ever.

They're a very, very corrupt company, and once you find out what Geek Squad charges for, you won't ever want to work for them.

Answer every question on an assessment exam with "Install most expensive antivirus suite that the store sells, run a scan, replace a random piece of hardware, and charge alot of labour, then sit there searching through the customers files while the automated fixes run so that it looks like im working"

Should land you the job

I hope everyone working for Geek Squad and the similar get fired, for being a pawn of corruption. I know the economy is not in the best shape, but dignity is above time.

And I like what the videos said about recommendations, take it to a computer savvy friend. It might work at first, but that friend will get tired and will probably charge you the same as Best Buy just so you don't bother him/her :D