[Review] PlayTV

Got my box in this morning.

First thing I've found out that initially put me off PlayTV is you CAN copy recorded files off your PS3 onto a mem stick then onto your PC...

I thought due to DRM files weren't allowed to be shared?

So much for that, makes PlayTV even better for me :)

The Guide is ridiculously slow imo.

Some channels don't even update :/

However, the quality of the recordings is good - you need to have it connected to an external aerial (i.e. one that's on your roof) as internal ones don't offer consistent performance, imo.

Edited by WastedJoker

Got my box in this morning.

First thing I've found out that initially put me off PlayTV is you CAN copy recorded files off your PS3 onto a mem stick then onto your PC...

I thought due to DRM files weren't allowed to be shared?

So much for that, makes PlayTV even better for me :)

Yea this is an awesome feature. however once it is exported from the Libary to the XMB then it is no longer available to watch via the libary.

The Guide is ridiculously slow imo.

Some channels don't even update :/

I have noticed this too lately, I dont know why it does this.....

A solution for the mean time is using the Whats On Now & Whats on Next. As these are always available.

Is this product available in the states?

Not at the moment AFAIK.

does it upscale the content?

I find alot of LIVE TV or recently recorded TV Shows look alot better than what they did before, so I would say that it does Upscale on certain shows.

Obviously old episodes of FRIENDS still look the same ect.... but the new shows definately look alot crisper.

My guide was working perfectly when I got it yesterday, but last night it got sluggish updating, and some things just stayed on "no info" :/

I also rescanned, I got 91 channels, but I noticed from a fair bit of stuff I recorded last night there was skips/jumps and pixelation of the content quite a few times :(

My signal says 70-75% when scanning, surely that's high enough?

What I'm watching right now seems to be dead smooth, no glitches. My built in freeview has always been perfect, we used a large aerial, so signals never been an issue.

ps. On the quality matters, I do as well notice some things looking crisper/better than my built in tuner.

if you can move saved programs on a pc, can you watch them as I would like to save them onto a media player I have and watch them on the way to work?

Raymond

My guide was working perfectly when I got it yesterday, but last night it got sluggish updating, and some things just stayed on "no info" :/

I also rescanned, I got 91 channels, but I noticed from a fair bit of stuff I recorded last night there was skips/jumps and pixelation of the content quite a few times :(

My signal says 70-75% when scanning, surely that's high enough?

What I'm watching right now seems to be dead smooth, no glitches. My built in freeview has always been perfect, we used a large aerial, so signals never been an issue.

ps. On the quality matters, I do as well notice some things looking crisper/better than my built in tuner.

I recorded some shows last night on ITV and noticed they were skipping quite abit too. But during live streaming it's perfect......

I have the same signal strength too and thats coming from a direct connection to our Sky Box/Dish. So I really don't know what is up with that?

Anyone still getting problems with the EPG?

I get tons of "no infos" :/

Plus still getting skipping.

I bought a signal booster for ?13 from Play, I'll see if it helps (even although my signal is 70-75% and I'd claim that to be fine...).

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronic...amp;add=3469655

Anyone still getting problems with the EPG?

I get tons of "no infos" :/

Plus still getting skipping.

I bought a signal booster for ?13 from Play, I'll see if it helps (even although my signal is 70-75% and I'd claim that to be fine...).

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronic...amp;add=3469655

I did some recording last night and there was no skipping.

As for the no info issue, i find it's hit or miss, sometimes I will have no info on every channel then 10 minutes later all the channels have info.

I did some recording last night and there was no skipping.

As for the no info issue, i find it's hit or miss, sometimes I will have no info on every channel then 10 minutes later all the channels have info.

Yeah I'm gonna reinstall PlayTV tonight cause I installed it on my 40GB then migrated to my 320GB - Dunno if any of that may have caused some hiccups.

Plus I'll **** around with the aerial a bit :p

It's a big aerial, but because we have a loft conversion the aerial that should be outside, is actually inside lol. I can get to it and turn it around.

Hope the booster box I bought above there works as well, I kind of bought it on an impulse, don't even know if the connectors are right :laugh:

Yeah I'm gonna reinstall PlayTV tonight cause I installed it on my 40GB then migrated to my 320GB - Dunno if any of that may have caused some hiccups.

Plus I'll **** around with the aerial a bit :p

It's a big aerial, but because we have a loft conversion the aerial that should be outside, is actually inside lol. I can get to it and turn it around.

Hope the booster box I bought above there works as well, I kind of bought it on an impulse, don't even know if the connectors are right :laugh:

I did the same thing actually, installed PlayTV on my 60GB HDD then backed up and restored it all on to my 320GB HDD. Let me know how it goes and whether it improves the quality any more?

Also, the booster, let me know how that goes!! As my Ariel lead is directly plugged in to the back of our Sky+ Box downstairs, which is then plugged to the Sky Dish on the side of the house, so I really don't know why I only get a 75-80% Signal Strength.....

• 1 month later...

i was thinking of getting one of these as already uopgrad4ed the hard drive in my ps3 to a 250gb have the issues been sorted regarding epg's going slow etc?

Yeah Patch 1.10 fixed all the EPG issues for me.

Now loads instantly pretty much.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't even have a PS3 and I found it an interesting review (Y)

This just makes me want one more (along with that little big planet thingy game).

Exactly the same here mate (Y)

Thanks a lot for the review, I don't have an aerial in my room atm but IF I get a PS3, I will almost certainly get an aerial wired into my room and buy PlayTV. thanks again :D

No problem guys! I am glad alot of people have found this review useful, it was my first review so will no doubt review any new technology I get in the future that will be worth reviewing.

Just a heads up, I am having SKY+HD installed in my room on 17th Jan 09, so this means my PlayTV will be made redundant so will be selling it nearer the time if anyone is interested next month :)

Again, thanks for all the nice comments about the review :)

• 2 weeks later...
The EPG is ugly as hell :|

I actually love the EPG tbh nice and clean in the high resolution. Blocking out the time that you are recording other programs so you can see overlaps etc. Think I've mentioned before the only thing I don't like is the long boot up time to actually getting to watch TV :(

Nice review. Does it work in the US? If I had a PS3, I'd definitely pick one of these up.

That looks pretty sweet. I wish Xbox360 had live TV

If you have a PC with a tuner running XP Media Center Edition or Vista Premium/Ultimate, you can use Media Center Extender :)