Canon 40D "Error 99"

Hi everyone..

Just went out today to take some casual photos, bought the camera back in July.. today, it has decided to produce an Error 99... and keeps producing it.

Other forums around the internet indicate a number of problems, due to Canon's fine generic error message.

The possible errors I have discovered which are possible culprits are as follows:

* Faulty Battery

* Compact Flash formatted on another system

* Dirty lens contacts

* Dirty battery contacts

* Firmware

* Image number counter

* Faulty compact flash

* Camera confused about file numbering (firmware related again)

* Shutter assembly failure

None of which I can confirm are my problem..

Does this mean my shutter assembly has failed, after 6,604 frames? I'm EXTREMELY p**sed off at the moment, I cannot believe this has happened, you pay good money and the last you expect is what happens to cheap compact cameras.

Somebody please stop me from throwing this out the window.

For those who will question warranty, I bought it in July, I can only pray they will accept my warranty started in July?

All tips or suggestions welcomed - please make them good ones!

I've not sent stuff to Canon before, so I don't know the actual procedure, but they will check it, and I believe call you and make sure you want any repairs done, and the cost of repairs before actually doing them. Should be under warranty though. You'll probably want someone with experience with Canon service centres to post though, cos I'm not entirely sure myself.

Yea I would really appreciate if someone with a bit of history with Canon could come forward and shout out, give me some advice, what to do, how to approach them, etc.. I'm dreading a repeat of what Vodafone did to me recently - the insurance company said because my phone wasn't in a LOCK compartment in my LOCKED car, I wasn't covered for theft from my vehicle.. excuse me, but how retarded are those terms! Hopefully the path to warranty redemption isn't as rough

this is the last shot I got from the camera before it went belly up on me!!

http://highonsnow.com/blog/2008/09/19/fina...-of-an-eos-40d/

it's sad but you know, it's electronic and it can stop working anytime. I know entry level Nikon cameras that had over 200,000 shutter releases before it dies. In the opposite, some have 500 and died!

I have over 80,000 with my old D80 and I still pray :/

I hope Canon will repair yours for free

• 4 weeks later...

Just to bring you all up to date on the matter, I have just received my Canon 40D, fully serviced and operational once again! Thank you Canon.

No charge, full warranty service.

Just to bring you all up to date on the matter, I have just received my Canon 40D, fully serviced and operational once again! Thank you Canon.

No charge, full warranty service.

That is what Canon is known for. Good to hear

i had perm err99 with my mark3 before and it was around 28k shutter then i sent it in for free repair under warranty and also got a loaner mark3 to use till i get my original back. the invoice indicated a totally new mirror assembly and sub mirror assembly :p so basically they replaced my entire mirror box..

Oh very nice, I didn't get any replacement model, I guess they do that for the higher end models. The letter that accompanied my camera on return outlined the following servicing to the camera:

Dismantle Camera

Replace Shutter

Recalibrate C-MOS assembly

Check to Specification

They took approx 70 images during the time it was out of my hands, so I'm sure it was tested for image quality, shutter operation, etc. All is sweet again.

Thank you Canon.

Just for the record it was sent to the Camera Repair location in the UK (the one in Ireland doesn't deal with certain/most SLR repairs) but it was then also forwarded to a third party repair location called camera-repair.co.uk, all under my warranty so it still didn't cost me anything. Good service however.

• 4 months later...

I'm glad Canon could fix your camera!

I'm having the same problem:

I've had my 40D for a little over 6 months now, and I've never gotten the error until today.

The situation is this: My battery died and I needed to charge it, so I did and when it was finished I plugged it back in. I took about 5 pictures and then the error came up. I haven't been able to take one picture since.

I really think I've tried everything. I tried cleaning the contacts on both the lens and the mount, as well as the battery and battery contacts on the camera, I tried other batteries, removed the memory card and put it back in... I haven't tried updating the Firmwire yet. My camera says it has version 1.0.8 ... is it time to update that maybe?

Is there anything else I should do or have I basically done it all? Is it time to call Canon for me as well?