Weird PS3 Hard Drive Upgrade Problem

Hello all.

I bought a 320GB hard drive for my PS3 and a Western Digital My Book Essential 2.0 WDH1U5000N 500GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive to backup my files on my PS3. The problem I am having is with the external hard drive. Every time the backup process gets to 68% I get a message saying "The USB device cannot be accessed" I have no idea whats wrong. I was wondering if any of you guys could know whats wrong? or if someone have a 60GB PS3 and a Western Digital My Book Essential 2.0 WDH1U5000N 500GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive could you try doing a backup and seeing if it stops at 68%? I am not the only that has this problem someone else is having the same thing happen over here http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstatio...read.id=3330034

Thanks guys!

Can you format the drive and try? Or does it have stuff on it?

Sounds like the drive itself may have bad sectors or possibly something wrong with it, if it constantly stops at the same point.

Can you format the drive and try? Or does it have stuff on it?

Sounds like the drive itself may have bad sectors or possibly something wrong with it, if it constantly stops at the same point.

Yep its formatted to FAT32 it came like that from the factory. The drive is working fine other wise I plug it into my computer and the PC recognizes it and I can transfer and delete files.

Yep its formatted to FAT32 it came like that from the factory. The drive is working fine other wise I plug it into my computer and the PC recognizes it and I can transfer and delete files.

It would still work fine, until data is attempted to be copied over the problematic sector I think.

Try putting it in your PC and filling it up with content, like say, backing up an internal drive of content onto it.

See if all the files copy over okay.

It would still work fine, until data is attempted to be copied over the problematic sector I think.

Try putting it in your PC and filling it up with content, like say, backing up an internal drive of content onto it.

See if all the files copy over okay.

alright will do.

ok i put 34GBs of stuff on the drive then I transferred it over to my computer got a error something about I/O then I clicked try again and it worked fine the rest of the way then I transferred the 34GB file back from my PC to the external HDD and it transferred smoothly.

@TD I have reformatted it multiple times lol still didnt work.

So I dont know whats up :(

ok i put 34GBs of stuff on the drive then I transferred it over to my computer got a error something about I/O then I clicked try again and it worked fine the rest of the way then I transferred the 34GB file back from my PC to the external HDD and it transferred smoothly.

@TD I have reformatted it multiple times lol still didnt work.

So I dont know whats up :(

The error still concerns a bit.

I mean, a PC is probably less sensitive than the PS3 in the sense that you can click "retry". The PS3 will probably kick back at the slightest of anomaly and not continue/try again.

I can only suggest formatting the drive again in FAT32.

Then maybe splitting it into two partitions and backing up your PS3 content to the later partition - Say your drive is 320GB and you need 40GB to backup your PS3 stuff. Make a 280GB partition first, then a 40GB partition just for the PS3 content.

ok what can I use to partition the external HDD? Windows only allows up to a FAT32 32GB section to be partitioned.

Edited by American Ninja

Not sure if it will work or not-- Download a Live Linux Cd like puppy linux or ubuntu (other distro's may work) Burn it to CD I would suggest Puppy3.01 it comes with an G-Parted. Boot your computer with the live Cd then use it to format the drive- And also comes with fdisk and partition manager. One thing to note==

Be very careful not to format over your computer's hard drives-- If you can remove the cables first that would be a big help.

ok it worked lol i dont know what I did I just tried it again and it worked lol I did delete some old game saves I had I wonder if that was the problem? oh well it works now! w00t! :)

Honestly I dont' know why you trusted that external hard drive, if you got I/O errors on a computer and the PS3 was acting up with it, I would have took it back right away, it was in no way going to be a reliable drive. Exchange the external drive, put back in the smaller PS3 drive and try to backup again.