[Official] Resistance 2

Not talking about "looks", I said scripted events. You know, single player? The thing your not beta testing :yes:

I apologise, I thought you were referring to how it looked/played - not sure how you can link the video from that E3 to scripted events though - of course that was scripted, it was essentially a small movie.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be scripted events in KZ2, infact I'll put my parents house on it! A game can easily put to good use a scripted event, I just thought COD4 had far to many.

That is all.

R2 Chat with Jstevenson on 1UP FM

09/29/2008 | 1UP FM - Podcast

Join us for a Resistance 2 chat with Insomniac's Bryan "Departed Eagle" Intihar and James "Philip Kollar" Stevenson, along with locals Greg Ford and David Ellis. Shelf Life gets an extension with Ryan Scott and Anthony Gallegos, Tina Sanchez checks the Mailbag, and the Backlog crew stops by to wrap up Indigo Prophecy.

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?ht.../1UFM092908.mp3

I don't think so yet. I pre-ordered the game but then got an email from Gamestop saying that the beta was not going to start the 6th and said they would let me know. So hopefully it is soon.

Resistance 2 Interview with Ted Price

Resistance 2 takes place two years after the original game, as players once again play as Nathan Hale and battle the alien race known as the Chimera, except this time, the fight takes place in the U.S. We recently spoke with Ted Price, President and CEO of Insomniac Games (Resistance 2's developer) to learn more about the anticipated sequel.

Resistance 2 debuts the same week as Gears of War 2. Your thoughts?

Ultimately, as a PS3 owner and an Xbox 360 owner myself, those are two games I would get. I want to have the most entertaining experiences on both consoles, so I am going to get the games that have the best feedback. So far, Gears has had fantastic feedback, and I think it looks beautiful. Resistance will make a lot of PS3 owners happy too.

So the new James Bond film, Quantum of Solace, was pushed back a week. Do you think that was done because of Resistance 2 and Gears of War 2?

[Laughs] I have no idea. It'd be flattering to think they pushed the film back for the games, but I think it had to do with the election more than anything else.

But do you sense a shift in Hollywood because of the game industry? Before, it didn't seem like these studios cared whether or not games debuted the same day as their films, but some have actually blamed certain games for affecting ticket sales.

I think your right. Having read those articles in the past, there is a lot of credence to film and TV executives sitting up and going, "wait a second, all of our customers are going out and buying games". They're not getting them in the theater, so they may be more aware of the release dates. It's great to see that kind of justification given to what we do for a living in terms of providing entertainment.

Sixty person multiplayer is crazy. What have you done to keep things from getting out of control?

Keeping the chaos minimized was an important design challenge for us at the very beginning. The first thing we did was split players into squads. You're automatically assigned a squad, but just doing that doesn't solve the problem, because squads run all over the map and you never know what they're going to do. We have a dynamic objective system that drives what the squads do, and your squad is given an objective that keeps you focused on an area that the rest of the world isn't focused on, except for perhaps a rival squad fighting over the same thing. That keeps the player spread out across the map and ensures that we don't get these 60-person pileups. Now you can ignore the objectives if you want to, but you get more points if you work with your squad to accomplish them. There are some objectives that you simply cannot accomplish without the help of your squad.

The way that we reward experience is probably unlike most other games. This is something that will help people new to the multiplayer experience. In most games, you don't get points unless you kill somebody. In our game, you get points for just hitting somebody, so if you're just getting used to the game, you immediately get positive feedback because you're earning points by hitting someone, even if they get away.

So is it possible to play through the entire single player campaign and have a character that's beefed up enough to dominate multiplayer?

You have to play across all three modes [co-op, single player, multiplayer] to gain experience and that's the fastest way to earn it. You could also play multiplayer exclusively and still reach the top. It will just take you longer.

This Resistance is gorier than the previous one. How far do you go with pushing the envelope?

We blow up Chimera into big chunks and you'll see a lot more blood and body parts. That's because they're bad guys and we enjoy cutting them to pieces.

You have a chance of dismembering them with the shotgun, grenade, rocket launcher, Lark and a whole lot of different weapons. With one enemy, you can cut off his arms, his legs and his head and you're left with this quivering torso.

Since Insomniac also works on the Ratchet & Clank series, what is like developing an E-rated game and then switching to what should be an M-rated one?

A lot of our team members appreciate the opportunity to go back and forth between a light-hearted family game and then a serious and visceral mature game like Resistance. I think it keeps things fresh at the office. If we did games like Resistance 2 or Ratchet all of the time, there wouldn't be as much creativity because we'd do the same thing over and over again. It would become difficult to get charged up. You also see some Ratchet influence in Resistance. Our Splicer saw blade gun has its roots in Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, except with Resistance 2, we're cutting off limbs versus just having enemies explode.

Where do you draw inspiration? The invisible Chimera seem Predator-inspired.

I don't think Predator was the specific inspiration. Originally, he did not have that effect. We put that on recently. I think we just wanted an enemy that would surprise players and freak them out, especially because he's a one hit kill. If you get hit by him you will die, so you have to be on your toes. We wanted to change up the standard run and gun gameplay.

Our challenge with Chimera was to create something that could have been human at one point. A lot of the Chimera were built from humans, but they were arranged and cooked before they popped out as a hybrid. Originally, with Resistance: Fall of Man, we wanted something that looked alien, but wasn't too different from humans.

You had said that you couldn't have done Resistance without Blu-ray. Does that still hold true with the sequel?

Yeah we're right up to the edge. It's bigger than the first Resistance but we haven't reached the Blu-ray disc capacity.

How have the creature designs changed?

Story wise, the Chimera evolved. New forms have grown, and one of the things they overcame was the inability to withstand temperate environments. In the first Resistance, we saw them changing England's atmosphere and pulling it down. You see the hybrids with sacks on their backs. That was a cooling apparatus. Now we have new forms that don't need that, and they're smart creatures. They know that to overcome the humans, they have to deal with differing environments.

From a gameplay perspective, we have a lot of different archetypes. The Ravagers; they're the big guys with the green shields. There are two types, one with the shield and one without. If they get close they'll rip you apart, but they're also deadly from a distance, so you'll have to use a different technique. And then we have the bosses, such as the Leviathan that we showed off in the Chicago level that break things up from your standard first person shooter game.

Having created Spyro, how is to have made something and not be able to work on it?

It's a lot less painful than we thought it would have been when we walked away from Spyro. But at the same time, we knew that there wasn't much we could do with that character. He didn't have hands so he couldn't hold a whole lot. We took him as far as we could without having him feel contrived.

Source: http://www.gamedaily.com/games/resistance-...with-ted-price/

Ted Price is a good guy :)

Do we know yet whether there is standard 2-player split screen local multiplayer like R1. I'm not interested in the "addtional" 8-player campaign or the "up to" 60-player stuff. Just like to know whether you can play the normal game (with a mate in the same room as you) in 2-player local split screen mode? :rolleyes:

Do we know yet whether there is standard 2-player split screen local multiplayer like R1. I'm not interested in the "addtional" 8-player campaign or the "up to" 60-player stuff. Just like to know whether you can play the normal game (with a mate in the same room as you) in 2-player local split screen mode? :rolleyes:

Nope, SP campaign is single player.

8 player campaign is up to 8 players, can be played with two or more.

Wouldn't diss before trying it, word is the campaign actually made for co-op is far better than having a SP game with co-op tacked on, meaning another character just chucked in.

Nope, SP campaign is single player.

8 player campaign is up to 8 players, can be played with two or more.

Wouldn't diss before trying it, word is the campaign actually made for co-op is far better than having a SP game with co-op tacked on, meaning another character just chucked in.

Hmm, well I'm hoping it's nothing like GRAW2 or RSV2 local multiplayer then. :(

Would you have to play the SP campaign to understand the co-op campaign? I'm not sure I like separate co-op campaigns (from previous experience).

Hmm, well I'm hoping it's nothing like GRAW2 or RSV2 local multiplayer then. :(

Would you have to play the SP campaign to understand the co-op campaign? I'm not sure I like separate co-op campaigns (from previous experience).

Both of them intertwine to some extents so I've read. Co-Op is a parallel running storyline.

I'd doubt you HAVE to play each other, it'll be two different experiences, but it'll probably help to play the SP campaign first.

im pretty sure i signed up for the beta weeks ago... but i did again. was the one i was thinking about for the multiplayer only beta?

That was for the closed beta.

Above is for the open beta!

Basically there won't be an NDA for the open beta :p And more people get in!

Signed up a few days ago, this must be like the 500th time I signed up for this Beta in its various forms.

Quite sad considering I don't care about this game one bit :rofl:

Signed up a few days ago, this must be like the 500th time I signed up for this Beta in its various forms.

Quite sad considering I don't care about this game one bit :rofl:

Give it a go anyway!

Nothing to lose when you ain't handing any cash over for anything :p

I want a team of 8 folk to go through the co-op campaign, should be fun! Hope some of it is in the beta :/

True but it also means you will see 10 pages of pure Sethos "How to hate Resistance 2 Part 1"

Auch, miracles can happen :rofl:

I signed up for the beta and I should get a key because I pre-ordered it. If I get an extra one and you don't get in I'll hook you up Sethos.

UPDATE: Unfortunately, due to technical difficulties, we will be forced to delay the opening of the giveaway until Tuesday, October 7th. We expect it will go live that morning (Pacific time). GamePro apologizes for the delay, but we promise it won't cut into your play time -- the Resistance 2 beta is not live yet. Check back tomorrow to sign up (barring any other unforeseen issues, but we think we've got the troubles licked this time!)

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/207340...ier-beta-codes/

Can someone please sign up for me tomorrow as I'll be at work and all gaming related sites are blocked :(