Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 6000 v3

Originally posted to my blog, reposted in full for convenience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2888727843_9ce8bb6bd3.jpg

Under normal circumstances, it would be silly to give a new product with improved features and a strikingly new design the same product name as the previous version, but we've come to learn Microsoft's marketing department is hardly normal. In short, consider this as the Wireless Laser Desktop 6500 if you may, Microsoft took an already awesome wireless keyboard and wireless laser mouse set and made it even better.

As a side note, it's somewhat unfortunate that I had go through two sets of the Wireless Laser Desktop 6000 v2 to get to play with this - both of which suffered hardware malfunctions after 12 months of pretty intensive use (FPS gaming) - but I guess this is a good opportunity brag about the three-year warranty and no-questions-asked support reps at Microsoft.

2889559194_cf2d04511b.jpg

With all the attention that's placed on product packaging these days, Microsoft Hardware has really shined with their widespread adoption of clamshell packaging. Compared to the previous version where you could just fit a hand on the window, even ogre hands can get in there now. Sure you can read all the reviews about comfort and fit but nothing beats trying it out for yourself.

2888731115_e19c93138b.jpg

As the name suggests, the keyboard and mouse both use wireless 2.4GHz for connectivity. Having just played with the Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000 for a couple days which uses Bluetooth for connectivity, I can now safely say traditional wireless beats Bluetooth for ease-of-configuration, range and performance. (And I say that having experienced countless unnecessary deaths in Team Fortress 2.)

Whereas a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse took a good few minutes to connect and configure with software, wireless is as simple as pretty a button on the transceiver and a button on the mouse. Bluetooth range lasted me no more than 2 meters for any practical use, where as wireless is at least double that. Speaking as an avid online FPS gamer, Bluetooth had a small but impacting delay and jitter in online games whereas wireless is as instant as wired and smooth as butter.

Admittedly I was skeptical to find that Microsoft replaced the older transceiver base which had a long cable that could sit away from your PC case with a self-contained USB dongle, mostly because I don't think the thick metal box otherwise known as the computer case is the best thing to stick a transceiver behind, but that's not the case. Having used both variants, I notice no performance degradation with the new dongle.

2888728175_d168072fba.jpg

One reason they've switched to these dongles is so that you can place the dongle underneath the mouse and take it with you. I'm not sure how other users of that PC might feel when they discover that the mouse is missing and they can't use the keyboard either, but it's a neat idea to give laptop users the choice.

2888728847_46729337c5.jpg

Another highlight of this keyboard is the "Windows Vista Aero-inspired" border which wraps around the whole device. To be perfectly honest, it's a nice touch but nothing to brag about since it's pretty much a thin layer of colored plastic.

2888730761_1392e2e75e.jpg

Personally I imagined it to be more like frosted glass but as you can see it's pretty much see-through. Whoever invents a material where you can control the effect like pixel shaders will be very rich.

2889562226_19bb4c3531.jpg

The multimedia keys have also got a visual makeover with transparent buttons. Compared to the previous v2's layout, v3 features more streamlined buttons which is better organized and less intrusive.

2888730147_5c83b9bbb2.jpg

The function keys have also been redesigned with smaller individual buttons that are equally spaced between each other. This is a change I don't welcome where it seems like they've change it for the sake of change. I say this because in the previous version, and on most keyboards, function keys are grouped in sets of fours (F1-F4). This is useful because I've grown use to the habit of finding buttons by which set they are in and where they are in the set, for example F5 is the first of the second set, F12 is the last of the last set. I've been taking a few guesses at where they are with moderate accuracy, but nothing beats knowing what button it is before pressing it.

2888729195_ce8f0a317c.jpg

The rest of the keyboard remains pretty much identical the previous version. The keys are fairly soft and quiet whilst at the same time keeping the "desktop keyboard" tactile feel. It's also good knowing the keyboard is ergonomically approved whilst it is still aesthetically pleasing (no ugly divide). Like the previous version, the rubbery palm rest remains and is in my opinion adds a lot to the comfort.

2888728555_97c0886fc6.jpg

The mouse on the other hand is radically different from the previous version. At first sight it might seem like it was designed by a person who had just discovered curves, but you'd be surprised just how easily your hands rest and grip on it.

Besides the normal things you expect out of a mouse clicking and moving which it does well, I can't help myself but comment on the scroll wheel and how Microsoft continues to baffle me why they're making it harder and harder to use. The scroll wheel is now thinner than a female celebrity on a mission and the middle-click is becoming almost a balancing puzzle in itself - balance a little too far left or right activates the horizontal scroll instead.

2889563684_3e7e813908.jpg

Finally some quick notes about the battery life. Both the keyboard and mouse use two AA batteries (included). Obviously it's difficult to give a firm evaluation of the battery life without prolonged use but from experiences using the previous version, the mouse lasts around 2-3 months with very intensive use and the keyboard around 4-5 months with pretty intensive use too. Battery indicators on both will let you know when to prepare a fresh set of batteries before it passes away.

At a retail of US$99.95 (and US$78 on Amazon), this is not a desktop set you'd buy for your average beige box. If you don't like wires but is concerned about performance and range, then I'd recommend you avoid Bluetooth for the time being. The Wireless Laser Desktop 6000 v3 is a stylish and functional desktop set with plenty of useful features. If you already have a v2 it's probably not worth upgrading to but if you're in the market for a new work or gaming desktop set without the premium tax then definitely have a look at this.

The mouse s practically a direct copy of the Logitech revolution series. wich is a good thing, much better to hold than the mouse that came with my wireless entertainment desktop 7000. I might get one of those if they sellthem separately, logitech has no BT mice I'd actually use.

Also unless you use it on a conventional desk or the tranceiver dongle is drastically improved over the one that come with the 7000. you'll want an USB extension cable since propping it behind the computer case will make the signal weak and unreliable, especially if yo uuse it at some distance like in a htpc/mediacenter.

But I do prefer the more anonymous small dongles+extension cable over the big base stations, but it should hav come with an extenseion cable.

Also unless you use it on a conventional desk or the tranceiver dongle is drastically improved over the one that come with the 7000. you'll want an USB extension cable since propping it behind the computer case will make the signal weak and unreliable, especially if yo uuse it at some distance like in a htpc/mediacenter.

But I do prefer the more anonymous small dongles+extension cable over the big base stations, but it should hav come with an extenseion cable.

I agree with you about the extension cable idea, should be standard.

Got the v2 set at the moment myself - and I love it, v3 seems like a small upgrade to me (if not cosmetic).

Radish?

Got the v2 set at the moment myself - and I love it, v3 seems like a small upgrade to me (if not cosmetic).

Radish™

1+ on both those quotes... Dont think i'll update (not upgrade) to this set, prefer my current V2 set to be honest. If it had bluetooth connectivity then i would for sure.

Radish?

I'm on the v2 set as well. Best Desktop set I've had so far.

Sexy! :o

Can you include some details on drivers and how they compare on Logitech's one?

I may change my MX3200 set for this sexy beast.

Sexy! :o

Can you include some details on drivers and how they compare on Logitech's one?

I may change my MX3200 set for this sexy beast.

Drivers are standard Microsoft IntelliType and IntelliPoint drivers. Allows you to set custom keys and check battery status. Nothing fancy but works as you'd expect it to.

• 4 weeks later...

I was happy until you mentioned the issue with the scroll-wheel.

When scrolling, I always use it and when surfing the net, I use it to tab links; so you're saying there is no option to simply switch the left-right movement off?

I just didn't like the feel of the curve design. I wish the 1000 series (also revamped) came with the same mouse that this package comes with. My MX1000 is getting kind of old and has problems charging because of worn contacts.

Can you get it keyboard only?

I like the look of the keyboard, but I have a good mouse

Yeah, they sell the keyboard separately for US $59.99

I hate the position of the two side buttons. They're a pain to reach and they constantly place them there with every mouse! The buttons should be placed straight up and down and just slightly above where your thumb rests.

I hate the position of the two side buttons. They're a pain to reach and they constantly place them there with every mouse! The buttons should be placed straight up and down and just slightly above where your thumb rests.

I thought the same exact thing. I have an MX1000 and when trying the MS mouse, I couldn't believe how far up I had to reach to get to the side buttons.

Wow, that looks very nice indeed!

I am not a fan of wireless mouses however.. wouldn't mind trying the new ones out. I find the wireless keyboard / mouse response time bad for applications

Wow, that looks very nice indeed!

I am not a fan of wireless mouses however.. wouldn't mind trying the new ones out. I find the wireless keyboard / mouse response time bad for applications

I've used my MX1000 for everything, including gaming, and never felt it to be a hindrance.

I've used my MX1000 for everything, including gaming, and never felt it to be a hindrance.

Last time I used a wireless keyboard / mouse, it was years ago, when they were first coming out. I could type faster then the keyboard could respond, and I remember the mouse not being very accurate.

I am sure things have changed over the last few years, but I am still iffy on the battery part of things. I would hate for it to run out during a game.

Batteries last ages, I think it's nearly 6 months since I changed mine. And I game quite a bit as well.

Get a set of rechargeable batteries if you think it will bother you.

Radish?

Batteries last ages, I think it's nearly 6 months since I changed mine. And I game quite a bit as well.

Get a set of rechargeable batteries if you think it will bother you.

Radish?

haha, i would get some lithium ion if anything. those things last forever. I just hear stories of people playing games, and mid battle, or during gameplay, the mouse or keyboard stop working.

haha, i would get some lithium ion if anything. those things last forever. I just hear stories of people playing games, and mid battle, or during gameplay, the mouse or keyboard stop working.

You playing on a pro level or something? :p