Laptop Won't Boot Linux CDs

I am trying to install Linux on my laptop, but for some reason, every time I boot off a Linux CD, I get either a SQUASHFS error or Buffer I/O Error. I've tried booting into Linux on VirtualBox, and it SOMETIMES works. I have a Pioneer DVR-K15 DVD drive.

Does anybody know the problem and its solution?

Are you using the boot menu option to choose the dvd drive?

Sure :huh:. But I can get to the screen that tells me what distro I'm using, but then it goes back to a command line and it starts spewing out SQUASHFS errors.

BTW - There aren't problems with the CDs, because I tried them in my desktop, and they were fine. My desktop has a 16x LG DVD-ROM from 2004.

BTW - There aren't problems with the CDs, because I tried them in my desktop, and they were fine. My desktop has a 16x LG DVD-ROM from 2004.

If the CDs are fine, and they work in another drive, then in my mind this points to a problem with your laptop CD drive.

Sure :huh:. But I can get to the screen that tells me what distro I'm using, but then it goes back to a command line and it starts spewing out SQUASHFS errors.

Ok was just making sure :)

try this.. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=793726

Does that help?

Ok was just making sure :)

try this.. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=793726

Does that help?

My laptop's BIOS is a real disgrace. It has next to no options. In Windows, here are my IDE controller settings...

post-185777-1222542921.png

But I do remember reading earlier today that you could put in the option "ide=nodma" at boot to solve the problem. Would that help?

Okay, just to see if the CD drive was a cause of the problem, I tried to install openSuSE 11 in VirtualBox through an ISO, and it worked perfectly.

For some reason, the CD is read, but the computer won't successfully boot from it. :unsure:

If it is the same download, then it is a bad brun or a dirty reading head in the drive. Try again on a CD-R (not other kind of CD/DVD -r/+r/-rw) to burn OpenSUSE using imgburn. If it fail again, then clean the reading head of your drive with a q-tips an some alchool.

If it fail again, use vmware workstation to install it on your real drive. You will just have to ajust the display driver after rebooting into the real instalation.

If it is the same download, then it is a bad brun or a dirty reading head in the drive. Try again on a CD-R (not other kind of CD/DVD -r/+r/-rw) to burn OpenSUSE using imgburn. If it fail again, then clean the reading head of your drive with a q-tips an some alchool.

If it fail again, use vmware workstation to install it on your real drive. You will just have to ajust the display driver after rebooting into the real instalation.

I put in the CD and converted it to an ISO and it worked perfectly. So there isn't nothing wrong with the burn, or the drive, apparently.

I tried it with an ISO in VirtualBox, it works, but it is slow. Any suggestions on that part?

I put in the CD and converted it to an ISO and it worked perfectly. So there isn't nothing wrong with the burn, or the drive, apparently.

I tried it with an ISO in VirtualBox, it works, but it is slow. Any suggestions on that part?

Yes. Use vmware if possible, or INSTALL linux in virtual environment, it'll be faster because most virtualization software will reserve only less than 512mb for your virtual machine and that's very bad for live CDs

Yes. Use vmware if possible, or INSTALL linux in virtual environment, it'll be faster because most virtualization software will reserve only less than 512mb for your virtual machine and that's very bad for live CDs

I installed SuSE in a VirtualBox and gave it 512 MB memory.

VirtualBox is not a good choice, it is slower and you cant install linux for real with it, just in a VM. A native instalation will be 2x faster than vmware witch is faster than virtualbox.

I can't use VMware, because whenever I use it, my computer crashes. If you want to diagnose, I am using Vista Business x86 SP1.

Also check in your bios-- some have protect MBR or Antivirus/boot protection mode on--- some even have disable system install options.

My BIOS has next to no options in it. The only options I have are to change the language, date/time, and set whether or not I want my wireless on.