Laptop Won't Boot Linux CDs

Just tried it out, it still gave me those stupid "SQUASHFS" errors.

hmmm, that's strange man. download a fresh copy of ubuntu and burn it to a new cd or dvd, i use a dvd and try the method i told you. if you still have errors go to : the ubuntu forums. they have alot of people that might be able to help you more.

hmmm, that's strange man. download a fresh copy of ubuntu and burn it to a new cd or dvd, i use a dvd and try the method i told you. if you still have errors go to : the ubuntu forums. they have alot of people that might be able to help you more.

I tried Ubuntu, same result.

Have you run any programs for checking errors in your memory?

Yes, I used Memtest86 and it was fine.

re- download ububntu and try again, burn the cd or dvd using magiciso. i don't know what else to tell you than to visit the ubuntu forums and post you issues. i doubt this is an issue with your laptop as linux should install on almost all systems. i feel you may just have a bad download.

How are you downloading the Live CD. Via a torrent or a direct DL?

It doesn't matter what method.

The iso image is valid and correct. It is burned on a CD correctly, and boots on other machines.

"squashfs" is the compressed filesystem for LiveCDs. Not sure if the Ubuntu "Alternative Install" CD would be different.

Would be worth a try, but not sure why your system would have such a problem with decompressing a filesystem. It's just math. :unsure:

It doesn't matter what method.

The iso image is valid and correct. It is burned on a CD correctly, and boots on other machines.

"squashfs" is the compressed filesystem for LiveCDs. Not sure if the Ubuntu "Alternative Install" CD would be different.

Would be worth a try, but not sure why your system would have such a problem with decompressing a filesystem. It's just math. :unsure:

It matters if the dl was corrupt and the Checksum did not match?

It matters if the dl was corrupt and the Checksum did not match?
It could. Looking at how the CD works on other PCs, and when he makes an iso of the burned CD, the image boots fine in a virtual machine indicates (but does not prove) that what he has is valid. Since it works in several other situations, except this one PC, I am led to believe that there is something about the PC.

He should be able to md5sum (or sha1, what does Ubuntu use?) is downloaded .iso image - saving the hassle of re-downloading. That will give a 100% certainty that the download was good.

I tried Ubuntu, it worked, but it didn't give me a GUI. I'll try a second time with "Safe Graphics Mode." I have a GMA900.
Did you try the "alternate" CD?

i looked up your error at the ubuntu forums and here are steps i need you to take or try.

download a torrent iso of ubuntu

burn at a slow speed with magiciso

use a dvd instead of a cd "make sure they are new"

make sure in your bios it is set to boot from a cd first in the boot menu

do the fix i gave you a few pages ago about the "irqpoll fix"

i don't know if you are trying to dual boot or not ? if you are make sure there is free space allocated for linux.

if this doesn't work then i don't know what to tell you.

I'm trying out the CentOS install only CDs, and right now I am stuck at a screen that says "Running anaconda, the CentOS system installer - please wait..."

I think I found the problem - Mark was right, I need an "Install Only Disc." I tried out some old Fedora Core 5 DVD I had and it worked perfectly. Now I am downloading Fedora 9.

Finally, I am committed to making my main computer an (almost) Linux-only machine. I will have a dual-boot with XP, just so I have iTunes and SimCity.

Edited by roadgeek9

About the graphic mode in ubuntu, login in console, write

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

find your graphic card drive line (probably i810 or intel) and change it to "vesa", then it will start without acceleration anf you will be able to debug it. I think you need to install the package 915-resolution that you will find in system;admin;synaptic

EDIT: ctrl+x to save and exit in nano

When booting, throw in a whole bunch of kernel parameters.. try noapic, nolapic, acpi=off, noirqpoll, & irqfixup. If you try all of those and it still doesn't work then I don't know what to tell you. If it does work, however, then go back and remove them one by one until you find the one that is fixing the problem and only use that one.

Man, I think your computer is broken. Crashing Vista with Vmware is not good (works with the same version of vista for me) and all these errors on different distros. Only thing you can try is DSL live cd (older kernel) just to see if it works.

Nevermind, it all looks like its working now.

So you managed to get a full and working install? :)

You might get SimCity working with Wine, and if you use iTunes for an iPod, you can probably find some alternative Linux software for it (I had something that could cope with my Shuffle).