2GB RAM Faster Than 3GB On Vista?

3gb is slow then 2gb. It relates to the ram page principle:

64-128-256-512-1024-2048-4096-.........

This is based upon page affect, and has been proven and tested. I have taken systems with 20gb and removed the ram to make it 16gb, and it runs faster. This is an old principle, but it still works as a standard.

nothing confusing at all.

"dual-channel" doesn't work on 3Gb. You need even number of modules to turn it on.

3GB = 2GB + 1GB. DDR2 turns into ordinary DDR.

Some stupid PC manufacturers like HP just keep silence about this.

The way the memory chips are installed on the PC is:

2 - 1GB chipset on Slot 1

2 - 512MB chipset on Slot 2

The chips on Slot 1 are one brand, the chips on Slot 2 are another brand. That's how it came when I bought it.

According to CPU-Z they are all running on Dual-Channel. So you think I should just buy 4 - 1GB chips of the same brand and replace the current chips? Will this help?

This is based upon page affect, and has been proven and tested. I have taken systems with 20gb and removed the ram to make it 16gb, and it runs faster. This is an old principle, but it still works as a standard.

is this really proved to be true? :s

So let me ask you this:

Right now the Gateway GT5656 has DDR2 667 memory @ 533Mhz. Can I put faster DDR2 memory on it or I'm I limited to that particular speed/Mhz?

I don't think there is much to be gained by replacing the Dimms. I have a similar (lesser) system than yours with an AMD 4800+ and 3GB of RAM. Interestingly enough this "feels" faster than my Q6600 quad with 4GB of RAM. I have not yet found out why that is so - especially since I run exactly the same stuff and same Vista on both (they are in 2 different homes and I carry files and programs back and forth).

OK I replaced the SIMMS with 2 - 2GB SIMMS which equals 4GB. CPU-Z says the memory is running at 333Mhz when it should be 667Mhz. Any way to fix this? Maybe this is the problem. It is in Dual Channel. Take a look.

Capture1.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Capture3.jpg

DDR is short for double data rate and unless i understand it wrong that means 333mhz x 2 (double) = 666mhz effective. you're seeing the true clock rate in CPUZ

DDR is short for double data rate and unless i understand it wrong that means 333mhz x 2 (double) = 666mhz effective. you're seeing the true clock rate in CPUZ

OK thanks.

The memory chips brand inside where:

1GB x 2 chips = Samsung

512MB x 2 chips = Hynix <------------------That is weird. Never heard of that brand in my life.

The memory chips brand inside where:

1GB x 2 chips = Samsung

512MB x 2 chips = Hynix <------------------That is weird. Never heard of that brand in my life.

Hynix are actually quite popular with Graphics card based memory.

Hynix are actually quite popular with Graphics card based memory.

Well what I did just to be on the safe side and make myself happy and be without doubts, I bought 4GB of all Kingston memory so now it has 4GB of the same brand.

I will have to try Vista 64 bit now and see how it behaves. I am currently running 32 bit Vista.

I'm without words how ridiculous this thread has become. With people talking like they know anything trying to state "facts" who couldn't be more wrong:

nothing confusing at all.

"dual-channel" doesn't work on 3Gb. You need even number of modules to turn it on.

3GB = 2GB + 1GB. DDR2 turns into ordinary DDR.

Some stupid PC manufacturers like HP just keep silence about this.

And with people trying to hijack the thread instead of creating a new topic:

Just wanted to be sure if this combination will work (on Asus P5ND2-SLI) . Thanks

I'm glad Scorbing has gotten most of his answers, but people like the above need to butt out of conversations where they state wrong information leading to misinformed readers. This thread could have been resolved long ago if people would actually read the specs on his PCs and compare them before asking useless questions. Sorry if it looks like I'm on an unnecessary rant, but I've noticed this in other threads and I think it needs to stop.

Well what I did just to be on the safe side and make myself happy and be without doubts, I bought 4GB of all Kingston memory so now it has 4GB of the same brand.

I will have to try Vista 64 bit now and see how it behaves. I am currently running 32 bit Vista.

Please update us on how your PC preforms after the upgrade! I'm betting you'll notice a big difference.

I'm without words how ridiculous this thread has become. With people talking like they know anything trying to state "facts" who couldn't be more wrong:

And with people trying to hijack the thread instead of creating a new topic:

I'm glad Scorbing has gotten most of his answers, but people like the above need to butt out of conversations where they state wrong information leading to misinformed readers. This thread could have been resolved long ago if people would actually read the specs on his PCs and compare them before asking useless questions. Sorry if it looks like I'm on an unnecessary rant, but I've noticed this in other threads and I think it needs to stop.

Please update us on how your PC preforms after the upgrade! I'm betting you'll notice a big difference.

THANK YOU!!!!!

That was beautifully said. I will let you know how it turns out when I install the 64 bit version as soon as I get home. I was just at a customer's house and he has a Triple-core AMD 64 bit with 4GB of RAM and it runs sweet. Mine is dual-core but it should run pretty good too. We'll see.