Nintendo announces DSi

10-01-08dsi.jpg

Nintendo just announced the DSi at its fall presentation -- we're getting more details by the second. The company is calling it a "third platform," which means it's complementing the existing DS Lite, not necessarily replacing it. Lookswise it's almost exactly the same, but it's some 12 percent thinner, partly because it doesn't have a GBA cartridge slot. The screens are also slightly larger, at 3.25 inches, and there are two cameras, at least one of which is VGA res. The SD slot is retained, but there's now also internal storage -- we're not sure how much at the moment. Photos can be synced with the Wii Photo channel. Nintendo's also launching an online DSi shop, which will sell content directly over WiFi -- including a free browser app. Wii Points are being renamed Nintendo Points so as to work across platforms and content will be priced in 0 / 200 / 500 / 800 point brackets. ?189,000 ($178), will launch on November 1st. Breaking...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/02/nintend...ounces-the-dsi/

Meh...my PSP can do all that and more (and better).

When did the PSP get a camera, internal storage and touch screen. Did I miss something ?

Might pick one of these up as I have the original DS n my GF has a lite. So this would be a suitable replacement for mine

When did the PSP get a camera, internal storage and touch screen. Did I miss something ?

Might pick one of these up as I have the original DS n my GF has a lite. So this would be a suitable replacement for mine

The PSP does have a camera (removable) and removable storage, just missing the touch screen really.

Looks nice though, I've got a DS lite and I'll probably stick with it though. Although it is tempting I have to admit, as the DSi is slimmer and has (slightly) bigger screens.

Yawn... the DS is a 2004 console... and tough it evolved in style, the hardware didnt...

The GameBoy Advance got released in 2001 and lived 3 years before the DS got out.

I think the popularity of handled consoles just make Nintendo and Sony lazy...

With recent SmartPhones/MID future technologies (such nVidia Tegra) I hope it will make them work on new consoles or mobiles will beat them in a year or two lol.

Interesting revision. I wonder if the new additions will split the userbase.

Pros:

Bigger screens

Dual touch screens

SD slot

Slimmer

Cons:

0.3MP camera

Same design as Lite

Higher price

No GBA slot (Activision might be annoyed)

Nice but the lack of GB Slot is a big let down. I dont have a Ds yet but tbh Id rather have a standard DS so as to still have the Gb slot for some of the classics. Unless they do a virtua console of the Gameboy on it Im not sold.

There's an SD slot also, built-in memory, an on-board browser, and game downloads that use Wii Points! The DSi will come with 1,000 free Wii Points.

Oops, another correction required here, folks. There will be two cameras after all: an external 3 Megapixel versions, and one VGA camera located on the hinge, directed towards the user

source

all I want is 802.11g and WPA support... no news about that though :-(

nice.. a separate LED to show the wifi status

good thing they moved the location of the power button too. I've got some friends that it used to snag in their pockets and turn it in

now where is that WPA support.... ;)

Wow what a joke, Nintendo are getting worse and worse, where are the updated graphics?

Whats the point in releasing a dual touch screen DS where all the new dual touchscreen games cant be played on a previous DS, theres no incentive to upgrade.

Ive lost all respect for Nintendo, pandering to the fracking casual gaming crowd with its crap graphics in the Wii and DS.

The updates DSi is has more to offer than it meets the eye. Downloadable content, camera, memory slot, it makes the device quite competitive.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsi.html

Who cares about a camera or a memory slot. Its just like Apple giving you the same device over and over again just with slightly updated features.

I want a powerful DS with graphics better than the PSP.

Who cares about a camera or a memory slot. Its just like Apple giving you the same device over and over again just with slightly updated features.

The thing is if Nintendo delivered on that, they have such a strong 3rd party base, the games would be so much better than the PSP. (granted the new system would be easy to develop for)

zx45qb.jpg

Seems like a few things were mistranslated. There appears to be just the one touch screen. The 0.3MP camera may be refering to just the one on the inside, and supposedly 3MP on the outside. Also the battery life is apparently worse on the DSi, but the screens should be able to go brighter.

Um, you realize this is Nintendo, right? That's not going to be happening anytime soon.

It will still print money.

Well said! :)

My word on this new DS ? WANT !!!!1!