[Official] Gears of War 2

Yeah, too bad I won't be buying the game - Never liked the first GoW so I doubt this will be any better.

Go check yourself in to a hospital. There is something wrong with you. :whistle:

wait...what? Do I need to repost that preview I posted at the top of the page? :p

Seriously though...

I'm with Habnad. I got my 360 less than a year ago and played it for the first time last month. It blew my mind, and I completely understood why it got all of the hype it did. Larry helped me out with the co-op play so we finished the game in a couple of days.

The MP kicked my butt though. Those guys are seriously nuts out there. I f'n suck! haha

wait...what? Do I need to repost that preview I posted at the top of the page? :p

Seriously though...

I'm with Habnad. I got my 360 less than a year ago and played it for the first time last month. It blew my mind, and I completely understood why it got all of the hype it did. Larry helped me out with the co-op play so we finished the game in a couple of days.

The MP kicked my butt though. Those guys are seriously nuts out there. I f'n suck! haha

Well, they have been playing for the last 2 years so... :)

Probably the only reason I would buy the Xbox 360 again, never really liked the Halo series but did love the first GoW :)

Cliff B said it the other day in an interview, can't remember where I read it but he said that was one of the main reasons they developed Horde!

Since when has it been confirmed not to have 4 player co-op?
Cliff B said it the other day in an interview, can't remember where I read it but he said that was one of the main reasons they developed Horde!

So wait, will it have 4 player Co-op?

So wait, will it have 4 player Co-op?

It definitely has 5 player Horde which is when you just go fight enemies together. (I think)

4 Player Co-Op is pretty likely imo for the campaign.

Sorry I probably should have made that more clear in my post NO THERE WILL NOT BE A 4-PLAYER CO-OP EXPERIENCE

Playing Gears Co-Op With Mark Rein

Four player co-op in Gears of War 2 would be too messy, the plot would fall apart, Mark Rein told me tonight as we sipped mojitos at the Ciudad restaurant.

But he and Cliff Blezinski both know how much gamers thirst larger co-op experiences. So the development team set out to create something that would be just as fun as four player campaign co-op, but not as problematic.

In Horde up to five players take on increasing large waves of locust, clearing rounds and scoring points until everyone dies. The idea is fairly straight forward and surprisingly fun.

I was lucky enough to sit down with Rein and Blezinski and play through a couple of matches of Horde as they looked on. It only took a minute or two for Rein to start back seat playing, pointing out where enemies were and chastizing my skill, or lack of it, with a sniper rifle.

Source: http://kotaku.com/tag/gears-of-war-2/?refId=30

I first read it on CVG on friday but can't locate the link too easily as that site is blocked at work.

How could the plot fall apart, GOW had 4 players, well two on each side. It's a shame 4 player co-op isn't introduced. :( I'll have to see how Horde is then.
Problem is if all 4 are player controlled it limits what they can do plot wise. You can't really kill off one or two characters mid game if they are player controlled.

Also not all of GoW 1 was really structured well for 4 player map wise and to add it in would have required them adding a lot of extra areas to levels. Ohh and the 1st and last parts of GoW1 were with 2 not 4 players for the most part.

Problem is if all 4 are player controlled it limits what they can do plot wise. You can't really kill off one or two characters mid game if they are player controlled.

Also not all of GoW 1 was really structured well for 4 player map wise and to add it in would have required them adding a lot of extra areas to levels. Ohh and the 1st and last parts of GoW1 were with 2 not 4 players for the most part.

Yeah I know, still a bit of a let down. I suppose it could be better this way. 4 player for GOW3 though please ;)

Pfft, the Plot will fall apart. That is like saying the plot in transformers would fall apart if you added a comedic scene with the Transformers destroying someones garden in their backyard. Oh wait, thats right, they did have a scene like that.

Sorry, but that is just my take on things, I know they are focusing more on the story this time around, but the story in these games is like the story in a summer Blockbuster movie (as pointed out by massiveterra in a discussion we just had), and simply put the plot usually is not all that deep at all.

I also have never been a big story person for First Person Shooters keep in mind, I play them to shoot and blow things up for fun, not for the story, I actually am old school and will read a book if I want a good story.

Yeah I know, still a bit of a let down. I suppose it could be better this way. 4 player for GOW3 though please ;)

Yeah I'd love 4 player too to be honest. Maybe by number 3. I mean they can still add drama by having supporting cast die or whatever if they need to. It may need a rethink of the game and how levels are structured but IMHO some of the coolest parts in GOW1 was when you got split from your partner and could see them fighting elsewhere and you got all this crazy cross fire.

Oh c'mon. Do not market "Horde" as something new. Its a remake of the "Invasion" mode in Unreal Tournament 2004 which I loved IMHO :)

Horde will be horrible if it's too easy for people to sit in the spawn areas with shotguns and blow each enemy away in one hit, stealing all of the kills and really killing the idea of Horde as a challenging co-op game mode. Hopefully there will be some kind of mechanism to stop people doing this.

Horde will be horrible if it's too easy for people to sit in the spawn areas with shotguns and blow each enemy away in one hit, stealing all of the kills and really killing the idea of Horde as a challenging co-op game mode. Hopefully there will be some kind of mechanism to stop people doing this.

It's not a one shot kill, watch some videos. At first its easy later on, not so much.

There's 51 stages of Horde. It's very doubtful that completing all 51 of them is going to be a walk in the park.

^ Displaying the images looked better.

So how does the Wingman game type work? It looks a bit complicated. :|

^ Displaying the images looked better.

So how does the Wingman game type work? It looks a bit complicated. :|

Yeah, I know they did but I felt like some would like it be click-able?

Wingman is a game where you the teams play to a certain amount of kills with rounds. So each round has 10 players (5 teams of 2). If you and your teammate die, you must wait for the next round to start just like a match of warzone or execution. First to 15 wins.

TEAM 1 TEAM 2 TEAM 3 TEAM 4 TEAM 5

ROUND 1

Player A) 2 kills 0 kills 3 kills 2 kills 1 kills

Player B) 0 kills 1 kills 0 kills 1 kills 0 kills

So there in round one the rankings would be TEAM 3/4 with 3 kills, Team 1 with 2 kills, Team 2/5 1 kills.

So with that being said, Team 3/4 are tied for the lead so they both only need 12 kills to win the match. Make some sense?