Post your Computer

which do you use?  

690 members have voted

1. 1. which do you use?

• Standard (built your own) MSI, ASUS, etc...
    • Dell
    • Compaq
    • HP
    • IBM
    • Gateway
    • Sony
    • eMachine
    • Other Unidentifiable stuff
    • Mac

If I had money I'd build one, I'm stuck with my crappy Dell *value machine* for now lol

Dell Dimension 2100 *sigh

900 MHz Celeron (I know, I cry sometimes)

20 GB Maxtor . . . something

16x14x40 CDRW (I geuss it generic Dell, I haven't heard of the name that shows up in the device manager before)

Sound Blaster Live! Value

3D Prophet 4000XT PCI (My board has no AGP :( ) 64 MB

Floppy, 10/100 ethernet, modem etc.

Dell QuietTouch Multimedia keyboard

Logitech Mouseman Optical

Harmon/Kardon Desktop speakers

Dell E770s CRT 17" monitor

As ******ty as these specs are, my computer still out performs almost all of my friends monster new P4's etc at school, I just take really really care of my baby lol

my sig plus 2 usb 7 port hubs 2 hp printers ffb2 joy stick and steering wheel flash card reader for my dc290 digi cam linksys firewall router apc bp 1000 :p

If I had money I'd build one, I'm stuck with my crappy Dell *value machine* for now lol

Dell Dimension 2100 *sigh

900 MHz Celeron (I know, I cry sometimes)

20 GB Maxtor . . . something

16x14x40 CDRW (I geuss it generic Dell, I haven't heard of the name that shows up in the device manager before)

Sound Blaster Live! Value

3D Prophet 4000XT PCI (My board has no AGP :( ) 64 MB

Floppy, 10/100 ethernet, modem etc.

Dell QuietTouch Multimedia keyboard

Logitech Mouseman Optical

Harmon/Kardon Desktop speakers

Dell E770s CRT 17" monitor

As ******ty as these specs are, my computer still out performs almost all of my friends monster new P4's etc at school, I just take really really care of my baby lol

That's where I started, knowing nothing. I slowly upgraded parts and finally switched the MOBO and Case. Also to DDR RAM. But hey appreciate what you got. I know I did and do. :D

i just got a new pc. I wanted to build my own, but i got this really great deal, and it would have been stupid for me to not accept:

P4 3.06ghz (HT)

some trash intel motherboard

radeon 8500 LE 128mb

kingston 515mb RAM

60 gig SATA HD

full tower case

price ? $799US is that not a friggin smokin deal or what? =)

and my old pc was a

P3 1.0ghz

CUSLC-2 ASUS

256mb generic ram

60 gig Maxtor HD

30 gig MAxtor HD

radeon 64mb DDR VIVO

SB live

21" monitor

i've got pics of my old pc.

i had lights too, but due to my lack of electronic tools in my dorm, it sorrta shorted together and ...umm....let's just say it no longer lights up

http://pcdb.overclockers.com.au/view.php?n...kacow&page=pics

Can some one tell me what's eMachine?

Yeah it's a low end proprietary maker. Cheap machines with almost no room for upgrading. A great value if you need a computer....for various reasons and are on a very tight budget. However you probably could put together a better machine for around the same cost. ;)

Also home built - see signature- as its the only way you can be sure you get EVERYTHING you want. :yes: I only buy retail built PC's if there is something special on offer or the spec offered is unobtainable for the same price. But that has not been the case for a long time now.

Although it seems almost everyone here has built their own :)

*edit* I thought id add a picture for the hell of it :whistle: Isnt she :wub: wubley? ;) :D lol

post-13-1048534651.jpg

well, see the sig for the first one

the second one is a 1.6 GHz at 2GHz XP Pro, TI4200 64MB, 448MB RAM, firewire, 19" viewsonic monitor (E970), and my favorite part, the 4.1 creative speakers (amazing quality), logitech wireless keyboard mouse combo... that's about it

laptop is a 550MHz celeron with 160 MB (i don't really use it anymore, I am getting a powerbook 15" soon to replace

all ways build my own never trust those pre-built machines, when you build your own you know more about your machine if it breaks down and most of the time is always cheaper than a pre-built also :happy: and my system spacs are in my sig

Lian Li case, P4PE, 2.4b, 512M PC2700, Gf Ti4200, Audigy w/ Logitech Z560's (rox), Seagate HD's... Built on my own. Cost a little bit more on the long run, but its a hobby of mine. I like the fact that I built it... I know whats in it so its easy to fix when something breaks down. I also run a UPS just for added protection :D

Yeah its more fun that way... but for most people (older ones) Dell, HP, or Compaq is a better bet because of the tech support.

Lousy support is more like it from individuals with zero experience with Computers... :blink:

Yeah it's a low end proprietary maker. Cheap machines with almost no room for upgrading. A great value if you need a computer....for various reasons and are on a very tight budget. However you probably could put together a better machine for around the same cost. ;)

thnx

Main -

Pentium 4 2533 @ 2634

Intel 845PEBT2 "Blue Mountain 2"

1GB PC2700

ATi 9700 Pro

40GB + 60GB + 80GB + 2x20GB (Stripped) = 220GB HDD

TDK 40x12x48 flashed to Lite-ON LTR48125W 48x24x48 CDRW

HP DVD Writer 300n 4x +R 2.4x +RW

On-board SoundMax Cadenza Pro (5.1 dolby digital and optical outs onboard)

Logitech z-560 4.1 Speakers

Windows XP Pro

Backup -

AMD Athlon 1Ghz

192Mb PC133

Geforce2 ti

20GB + 15GB = 35GB HDD

Windows XP Pro

Server -

Pentium 3 700

512MB PC133

15GB +15GB +20GB = 50GB HDD

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise

Laptop (Compaq)-

Pentium 3 750 (originally it was a 650 ;) )

192MB

20GB HDD

Windows XP Pro

Edited by Khujo

1) iBook G3 600 (Late 2001)

DVD-ROM

30GB HD

640MB RAM

Airport Wifi w/ SMC Router

OS X Jaguar

2) eMac G4 700 (coming this week)

CD-ROM

40GB HD

640MB RAM

Firewire 60GB HD & 24x CDRW

HarmonKardon Soundsticks

OS X Jaguar

3) Pentium 133 (web server/spare)

5GB & 4GB HD's

80MB RAM (4 SIMMS)

Slackware 8.0

Mine was bought but only cause my family really isn't rich and it would take months to get all the parts, anyway here is my PC.

Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz

512 MB SDRAM

Windows XP Pro SP1 ( the only non included componant)

40 GB HD

16x DVD-ROM (yeah!)

16x CD-RW w/ Nero

17" Samtron 76V CRT Monitor

Avance AC97 Onboard audio

Realtek RTL8139 NIC connected to a Linksys 4 port router with another PC

ATI TV Wonder PCI OEM

Terayon Cable modem connected to a 1.5mbit/192kbps cable service

There now you know my toy.

Mine was bought but only cause my family really isn't rich and it would take months to get all the parts, anyway here is my PC.

Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz

512 MB SDRAM

Windows XP Pro SP1 ( the only non included componant)

40 GB HD

16x DVD-ROM (yeah!)

16x CD-RW w/ Nero

17" Samtron 76V CRT Monitor

Avance AC97 Onboard audio

Realtek RTL8139 NIC connected to a Linksys 4 port router with another PC

ATI TV Wonder PCI OEM

Terayon Cable modem connected to a 1.5mbit/192kbps cable service

There now you know my toy.

Hey I know what you mean. Not swimmin in money like the Neowin Mods...I got my first Computer for 600.00 dollars. It was a Compaq Presario. Had it for 3yrs, I upgraded just about everything on it. The bios was killed when I installed a RAID card cause I wanted separate channels for all my devices. After I killed the board, went out two days later to a local shop where a friend worked and got myself a new generic case and MOBO an 256mb DDR 2100 RAM. Just under 300.00.

So it is a pretty big cost. It would be less if I had gotten the MSI KT3 Turbo2. That only needed SDRAM which I already had 512mb at the time. But special circumstances lead me to get the DDR board.

Take you time an Upgrade what you can when you can. I did by looking on EBay for items and at CompUSA. CompUSA is gernerally expensive, but you can find some deals. Radio Shack has no deals. CircuitCity is another good choice to consider. There are others, but mostly Ebay has businesses which sell parts. :D