• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

my guide to syncing your windows mobile phone in ubuntu

fix-this!    76

okay after alot of trial and error i finally figured a way to fully sync up my htc touch with ubuntu. we all know ubuntu does not have much if any syncing support right now, you would have to install mandriva 2009 for that. in the mean time the way i will explain will allow you "fully" sync your pda's & phones that run windows mobile 5 & 6.

1.) install ubuntu

2.) do all of your updates and such.

3.) install vmware workstation for linux "not freeware".... but it does give you a 30 day trial when you sign up.

4.) install either xp or vista on vmware, configure how much ram and hdd space to use.

5.) after xp or vista install, install vmware tools from within the virtual machine.

6.) install microsoft windows mobile device center.

7.) plug in your phone / pda with the usb cable.

8.) vmware will recognize it and you will have to enable the usb connection.

9.) follow the instructions in wmdc and you will be able to sync all content and view all of your files on your device.

enjoy !!!! :woot:

this is a solution for now until ubuntu decides to make syncing native. i have now fully switched over to linux ubuntu and i am only using vista via virtual machine to sync up my device.

markjensen    98

Cool. (Y) Maybe nice to have this moved into the *nix FAQ & HowTo section?

Also, have you tried the Mandriva sync? And see what app/method it uses. You should be able to make that work in Ubuntu, too.

Brian M.    778

Moved Here

fix-this!    76
Cool. (Y) Maybe nice to have this moved into the *nix FAQ & HowTo section?

Also, have you tried the Mandriva sync? And see what app/method it uses. You should be able to make that work in Ubuntu, too.

if it were that simple im sure ubuntu users would of been doing it for awhile now. :laugh:

adwin    0

Try synce.

fix-this!    76
Try synce.

synce does not work very well yet as many have tried. seems a flawless way is by installing vmware and going that route. by the way so you guys know i would recommend xp over vista when installing to a vm.