Samsung Blu-ray player for just $149

+Audioboxer
Reports indicate that the Samsung BP-1500 Blu-ray player which usually sells for $400 will go on sale on Black Friday for just $149. Retailer Ultimate Electronics will reportedly offer the player at this very appealing price point!

BD-P1500.jpg

Even after the dust has settled between Blu-ray and HD-DVD, the prices for Blu-ray players and movies in particular, haven?t gone down. Most decent Blu-ray players cost upwards of $500 and higher. Thankfully, Samsung may be coming to the rescue with its BD-P1500 Blu-ray player.

The BP-P1500, which usually sells for $400, is reported to go on sale on Black Friday at a nice price point of $149.

Source: http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=32578

This is a review of the player I believe - http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/06/04/samsu...d-p1500-review/

Seems to support firmware 2.0 as well - http://www.samsung.com/us/support/download...00&disp_nm=

Joel
Even after the dust has settled between Blu-ray and HD-DVD, the prices for Blu-ray players and movies in particular, haven’t gone down. Most decent Blu-ray players cost upwards of $500 and higher.

This just makes me think of what Boz was trying to say, and how many said he was out to lunch. I hope they feel a slight remorse now.

edit: apparently it also sucks as a player. Too bad.

Edited by Joel

neufuse

ha... finally someone leaked that... said a few days ago that wait till black friday to see a good deal on blu-ray... and no one believed me... next thing someone is gona say is "OMG!z!z! ITS NOT PROFILE 2.0!!!!!! NO WAYZ!"

+BeLGaRaTh

Its profile 1.1 and SW version 2.0 as a download HUGE difference

spenser.d

If there are decent deals on decent bluray players, and I get this second job I have a good chance at (i'm a college student wanting some extra cash), I may actually go door busting for a change.

-Spenser

Roger H.

oooh sweet. I might have to get one of these finally. I've been waiting to join the BD game but just the players were too darn expensive. At 150, that's deifnitely doable. I saw a Sylvannia the other day in the paper for $199 and i was thinking of that but Samsung at 150? Mmmmm.. me likes!

giantpotato
Its profile 1.1 and SW version 2.0 as a download HUGE difference

Well, the point of profile 2.0 is to enable BD-live or web-enabled features, so If you have your player connected to the net it will update automatically, if you don't, well...you don't really need profile 2.0. It's not any different than profile 2.0 out of the box.

Ayepecks

As Robert Downey Jr. would say... hot damn!

Hopefully this is the start of things to come ;)

goji
This just makes me think of what Boz was trying to say, and how many said he was out to lunch. I hope they feel a slight remorse now.

edit: apparently it also sucks as a player. Too bad.

Well lets be honest with one another, it really wasn't that hard to grasp. One doesn't need to have a degree in economics to see how things had been slowing down for a while. This first expenditure to go is entertainment and its no surprise or shouldn't be that Blu hasn't taken off.

Eh, one day I'll purchase a PS3 and call it a day :p

Ayepecks

Um, entertainment is actually the exact opposite of one of the first things to go in a recession. I don't the economy has anything at all to do with Blu-ray not taking off.

goji

^ O but it does. Its all about economics from licensing on the part of studios/manufacturers and viable alternatives for consumers.

Ayepecks

So, you mean to tell me that this whole time that the economy has been relatively fine (before the big breaks in the housing industry, Wall Street, etc), that Blu-ray wasn't taking off because the economy was too "normal"? I don't buy that ;) The economic factors you're talking about now have nothing to do with what you said in your last post. Your now talking about standard economic activities of a business, whereas before you were talking about the overall economy (U.S. or world, I'm not sure).

goji

Ok, allow me to spell it out more: Viable alternatives (DVD), much cheaper than Blu Ray considering the price point of entry and (the kicker) the financial squeeze many of us have been in as of lately. No need to remind people of how much we were paying at the pump not to long ago.

Chsoriano
Ok, allow me to spell it out more: Viable alternatives (DVD), much cheaper than Blu Ray considering the price point of entry and (the kicker) the financial squeeze many of us have been in as of lately. No need to remind people of how much we were paying at the pump not to long ago.

Your statement about viable alternatives makes sense... but Ayepecks is right about entertainment in general... it is one of those things that many consumers cut back on last, or by a lesser degree. Things such as toys and small things to enjoy at the home (movies, games, etc.) still do 'okay' for the most part. I think the things that get cut back on first are more expensive dining, unnecessary travel, etc. Things like going to the movies don't see too much of a hit.

+StevoFC

I recommend that player to everyone. I have it in my living room. I paid $270 for it. The upconverting isn't the best but blu-rays look amazing on it.

For full 2.0 compatibility all you need to do is attach a usb stick of atleast 1gb and it can handle everything with no problems. It comes with both usb and network connections.

+Audioboxer
I recommend that player to everyone. I have it in my living room. I paid $270 for it. The upconverting isn't the best but blu-rays look amazing on it.

For full 2.0 compatibility all you need to do is attach a usb stick of atleast 1gb and it can handle everything with no problems. It comes with both usb and network connections.

Sounds like a good deal then (Y)

Don't you have a PS3?

Any noticeable difference in playback between them both?

Ayepecks

Very nice (Y) Sounds like I'll definitely be getting this, if it's all true.

Andrew Lyle

I guess i'll have to sneak over the boarder and pick up one of these bad boys come black friday :D

+StevoFC
Sounds like a good deal then (Y)

Don't you have a PS3?

Any noticeable difference in playback between them both?

The ps3 is a little better at upconverting, and loads slightly faster. Other than that not much difference at all.

I have a 40" in my room and a 40" in the living room. Both 1080p, and both Samsung, so it's a decent comparison.

I can't really comment on the audio quality of the Samsung though because it's just attached to the tv. But it sounds great through that.

iZoom

I don't really have a comparison to post, but I do agree with the comments on PS3's up converting. While I do know

the original source isn't the best, an older movie, say...Pearl Harbor, looks great on DVD.

Windows7even

meh..just picked up a blu ray drive for my computer at home for 95 bucks.....a cheap option that most people just don't realize.....and most people these days have a computer or more at home that can handle blu ray playback

ViZioN
meh..just picked up a blu ray drive for my computer at home for 95 bucks.....a cheap option that most people just don't realize.....and most people these days have a computer or more at home that can handle blu ray playback

Was thinking about doing the same thing. Can get a blu-ray PC drive for around ?70 in the UK. What screen size are you using to play back the video? I was going to get a decent 24" because I don't have a TV. Anyone done anything similar?