The Avengers (may contain spoilers!)

You'd also have to consider the salaries for the actors into the equation. Norton and Downey alone aren't cheap. Get all the other actors involved McGuire (if they cast Spidey), Jackman (Wolverine) and god knows who for Cap and Thor etc etc and you got a small fortune. And they can't go just after one bad guy (so a cast of baddies) would be a small fortune too.

IMO, I mentionned this in the Spidey thread, the only way to pull this off right is to do a CGI movie. If they want Norton and Downey etc to do the voice-overs then its doable.

nah it's going to be live action

The Avengers: Screenwriter Zak Penn won?t start writing his outline for the film until next week, but Feige would like to see The Hulk as part of the team. Feige says that The Avengers ?is about saving the world? and the film will have ?a different tone than the other Marvel movies,? ?the scope and the scale will feel like a much bigger thing,? ?a much more massive global feel to it.? The threat will ?be big,? ?something that no single hero can handle.? The budget will probably be bigger as well. I personally think it would be stupid not to feature the Incredible Hulk in the Avengers movie, its just a question of making it work with the prior fiSlash FilmNorton. (Slash Film)

You'd also have to consider the salaries for the actors into the equation. Norton and Downey alone aren't cheap. Get all the other actors involved McGuire (if they cast Spidey), Jackman (Wolverine) and god knows who for Cap and Thor etc etc and you got a small fortune. And they can't go just after one bad guy (so a cast of baddies) would be a small fortune too.

IMO, I mentionned this in the Spidey thread, the only way to pull this off right is to do a CGI movie. If they want Norton and Downey etc to do the voice-overs then its doable.

I think they could keep the actor's salaries down if they gave them a cut of the box office take, which would be huge.

Yea plus I have a feeling if the script is right they will be willing to take a lower cut just like Oceans 11 did. Lower salaries with a cut of the box office would be enough though, definitely going to make a **** load.

Would not that be better if spiderman & wolverine were in this movie? :shifty:

As said they were not part of the first Avengers group and they were not really ever a major fixture of any Avengers group. They both were members for periods though, but when you think Wolverine you think X-men. Spiderman generally gets his own little world based around New York.

I don't think they want Jackman and Macquire's salaries added in also.

The main thing I see is that they are missing a female team member or two. There are an endless list of choices too and I hope they pick some good ones. I want Portman as Wasp for one of them. We already have Scarlett Johannsen as Black Widow if they chose to go that route. I favor either Scarlet Witch or Ms. Marvel.

• 1 month later...

Do you know what heroes are we going to be putting in The Avengers? How close are you to discovering who the core characters are?

I think we know. I think it's going to be Iron Man and Thor, Captain America and Nick Fury. I think it's safe to assume that there will be some members of the Hulk universe in the film as well. In terms of the additional I think Black Widow, sure. The SHIELD organization for sure. What's exciting, for me, about The Avengers movie is seeing those four characters interact with each other. I think anywhere from the first issues of The Avengers to Civil War the dynamic between Steve Rogers and Tony Stark is just awesome, it's fascinating. It brings out sides in others that won't be brought out in the other franchises. Going forward with the mix is a whole other thing, I think it will be cool. So to pile on another 15 or 10, frankly more than four would be too many.

Is the Hulk in it?

Zak Penn is outlining it as we speak, so we'll see.

Are you going to test potential Captain America people against Robert knowing they'll have work together at some point?

We've already been doing a little bit of that, to an extent. We're certainly casting all of the actors knowing that they need to carry, whether they are the good guy or the bad guy or a small part, not only their own franchise but playing an important part in the Avengers franchise. We are definitely keeping that in mind as we are casting.

Has Chris Hemsworth [Thor] said that he would met with Robert?

Oh yes, that was the first meeting of Thor and Tony Stark, it was pretty cool.

[io9]

• 2 weeks later...

So Ed Norton Might Appear as Hulk in Avengers After All?

We've been running a lot of speculative articles recently, and we have yet another for you today. In this one, though, I think I'm reading between the lines a little too much. IGN caught up with Edward Norton at the Television Critics Association press event and asked him the inevitable question about the Hulk appearing in Marvel's Avengers movie. This time, though, his answer was a bit different than anything we've heard before. "I probably won't comment on that, just because they [Marvel] keep a pretty tight reign on what they are letting out. I'll let them say," he replied. Is there hope that he's in it and wants to let them announce it?

Or is he just saying that he wants to let Marvel announce themselves that there's no Hulk in Avengers? I'm personally hoping it's the former. In Kevin Feige's most recent interview from from Comic-Con, he talks about the line-up for The Avengers, and mentions "there will be some members of the Hulk universe in the film as well." Of course, we can turn to any number of past articles where Hulk is brought up, like this one where Mark Fergus talks about having Hulk, or this one where Favreau lets slip that Hulk is in the line-up, or this one where Louis Leterrier talks about the end of Hulk being open for continuations of the character.

Of course, I could just be reading between the lines too much, and I'm probably doing that just because I really want to see Edward Norton back as Hulk in The Avengers. The reason why this is such big news and always a shock to hear is because, I believe, Norton kept saying he wasn't sure if he'd return (after doing The Incredible Hulk) and that there were other issues with bringing Hulk into the Marvel Studio's Universe. But who knows what's really going on behind closed doors? We'll find out the truth soon enough.

Tim Roth revealed that his has signed to play the Abomination in three films, leading to some speculation that the Abomination could appear in The Avengers film, or in some of the potentially interlocking films leading up to it. [Comic Book Resources]

• 1 month later...

Even though Marvel aren?t ready to reveal anything just yet, there is a good chance that The Hulk will be the villain in The Avengers. They?ve been talking about the idea for a while and even The Incredible Hulk director Louis Leterrier hinted at it last year when commenting on the films closing sho ??if you decide that he?s smiling, in control, then he?s a good guy, that?s ?The Hulk 2,?? he continued. ?If Hulk is a failure, then he looks up and smirks and that?s eventually the Hulk of the Avengers ? the uncontrollable beast that they need to team up to stop.?d to team up to stop.?

If the director knew of Marvel?s intentions then one would assume Edward Norton would be in on it too, and from this intervi ?In the comics, there was always a tension between the rest of the superhero community and he was always this problem? They treated him as this problem,? said Norton.

In Toronto to promote his well-received film ?Leaves of Grass? at the International Film Festival, Norton said he could definitely see the Hulk character becoming something that the rest of Marvel?s superheroes joined forces to battle. After all, Hulk?s never been shy about telling the world he?s ?the strongest there is.?

?I think that?s a fun way to go with it,? said Norton.hink that?s a fun way to go with it,? said Norton.

If Norton likes the idea, which he does, then he could return as Bruce Banner in The Avengers. When The Incredible Hulk came out Norton and Marvel weren?t the best of friends as they had disagreements over the final cut and Norton didn?t receive credit for rewriting the script. At the time I am sure Norton wouldn?t have wanted to work with Marvel again, but time as passed and he may be up for it again. He?s probably contracted to return anyway.

Source

Even though Marvel aren?t ready to reveal anything just yet, there is a good chance that The Hulk will be the villain in The Avengers. They?ve been talking about the idea for a while and even The Incredible Hulk director Louis Leterrier hinted at it last year when commenting on the films closing sho ??if you decide that he?s smiling, in control, then he?s a good guy, that?s ?The Hulk 2,?? he continued. ?If Hulk is a failure, then he looks up and smirks and that?s eventually the Hulk of the Avengers ? the uncontrollable beast that they need to team up to stop.?d to team up to stop.?

If the director knew of Marvel?s intentions then one would assume Edward Norton would be in on it too, and from this intervi ?In the comics, there was always a tension between the rest of the superhero community and he was always this problem? They treated him as this problem,? said Norton.

In Toronto to promote his well-received film ?Leaves of Grass? at the International Film Festival, Norton said he could definitely see the Hulk character becoming something that the rest of Marvel?s superheroes joined forces to battle. After all, Hulk?s never been shy about telling the world he?s ?the strongest there is.?

?I think that?s a fun way to go with it,? said Norton.hink that?s a fun way to go with it,? said Norton.

If Norton likes the idea, which he does, then he could return as Bruce Banner in The Avengers. When The Incredible Hulk came out Norton and Marvel weren?t the best of friends as they had disagreements over the final cut and Norton didn?t receive credit for rewriting the script. At the time I am sure Norton wouldn?t have wanted to work with Marvel again, but time as passed and he may be up for it again. He?s probably contracted to return anyway.

Source

i don't like the idea of him being the villain at all. hulk is one of my favorite super hero's and i think he was smiling only because he could control his changes, not because he liked it.

• 3 weeks later...

After the recent announcement of his new film, it is now confirmed that Jon Favreau won't be helming an upcoming superhero

film. MTV Movies Blog caught up with Iron Man 2 director Jon Favreau who confirmed what many suspected: that he won't be directing The Avengers. Here's an excerpt from the article.

"They'll have to [find a different director], because I'm not going to be available," he explained. "It's something I'm being the executive producer on, so I'll definitely have input and a say."

"It's going to be hard, because I was so involved in creating the world of Iron Man and Iron Man is very much a tech-based hero, and then with The Avengers you're going to be introducing some supernatural aspects because of Thor," he continued. "How you mix the two of those works very well in the comic books, but it's going to take a lot of thoughtfulness to make that all work and not blow the reality that we've created."

The director also talked about the tie-in for Iron Man 2 and how it might lead into The Avengers.

Along with confirming that The Incredible Hulk star Edward Norton won't be appearing in Iron Man 2 and that Favreau won't be directing The Avengers the filmmaker shared some thoughts on his approach to making the Marvel movies all tie together.

"We want to reinforce a lot of the stuff we started to tip off," Favreau told MTV News. "The Avengers is a much larger concern for Marvel and Kevin Feige, who runs Marvel. They're going to be doing Thor and Captain America and the way we might start to tease those things in this movie

, some of it is stuff that we've discussed [and] some of the stuff you do last-minute as you figure out how that stuff is coming together."

"It's an evolving, amorphous thing," he explained. "If we decide and commit too early, the secret always gets out."

Source

They've turned Hulk into a baddie in the comics somewhat over the years. Depending on which Hulk you follow and what universe it is though lol

yep I used to have a poster of the fantastic four vs hulk

• 3 weeks later...

More on Edward Norton's will-he-won't-he dance, with regards to returning as the Hulk. It doesn't sound like Norton's had any talks with Marvel, and he says he has no idea where they're at with this project. Nor is he terribly interested, unless Marvel comes to him with something especially fascinating. (But I'd be shocked if Marvel doesn't have Norton under contract for one or two more movies, in which case his interest, or lack thereof, would be irrelvevant.) [AICN]

• 2 months later...

Marvel's Kevin Feige seems to confirm that the Hulk will be in this film:

It's not just a team super hero movie with a bunch of characters with powers, its three people, four including Hulk, five including Nick Fury-who you have seen before in other movies, coming together for the very first time.

And he says that the comic books have paved the way for this kind of crossover, even if the way the dots get connected may be different. [sFX via World Of Superheroes]

• 2 weeks later...

1405148106.jpg

In other news, Jon Favreau was recently asked by a fan on Twitter if Iron Man 2 took place before or after 2008?s The Incredible Hulk.Favreau simply responded, ?before.? Yes, I?m about to launch into an analysis of what a single word means to several films ? something which Favreau could have said just to mess with a well-meaning Twitter fan ? please bear with me.

As our friends at Empire mention, the statement adds some extra weight to the final scene in The Incredible Hulk, wherein Tony Stark recruits General Ross to join the Avengers Initiative. The logical assumption was that the scene took place before Iron Man 2. But if Favreau?s comment is true, it points to an Avengers film featuring Stark, Captain America, Nick Fury, and Thor hunting down the fugitive Hulk.

Source

:woot:

Man, I read the title and thought this was about the real Avengers (John Steed and Emma Peel, She's the only one I've ever seen due to Channel 9's constant repeats), and thought they were going to do a proper movie based on it.

But, a movie with Iron Man, Captain America and a God with a big hammer fighting the Hulk would be pretty good as well I suppose.