[UK] Need some suggestions for a car

Hi, i think this is my first journey into the Neobahn, but i do need some sound advice...

Basically, i've been away for a while (not prison before you ask), and i'm currently scouting for a job. Therefore a car is also required...

I don't need anything fancy, just something fairly reliable and under ?1000.

Other stuff i'd want would be up to 1.8 engine, preferred 3 door, preferred hatchback, not too old and thats all i can think of.

Obviously i'm not looking for you to find me actual cars i can buy, but just for some guidance on which make/models to look out for etc.

ps. previous cars i've owned (however shameful) were clio 1.2, ibiza 1.4 and focus 1.6 zetec.

Volkswagen Polo or Seat Ibiza

You can probably get an S/T-reg Polo for about ?1000.

All cars are great until they go wrong, just try to look for one thats been recently serviced, has good tyres and has a decent time left on the MOT. Nothing worse than getting a car then 2 months later having to spend ?300 on MOT repairs.

yeah i was looking at the polo as a serious contender. from what i heard its a nice little runner.

ideally something like a honda civic (1.4/1.6) would be nice, but its unbelievable how some of these hold their value. i'll still keep an eye out for a bargain though.

The Seat Ibizas are very good, i own a MK4 FR. Its fantastic, drives beautifuly and its reliable too. For around ?1000 though youre looking at the MK3, they're great cars too and you can get a lot for your money.

My first car was a R reg fiesta, i'd consider one of these too. They're cheap, easy to drive and pretty reliable

Could get a decent MK3 Golf for that sort of money. Old but pretty darn solid and not too expensive to fix. I know that's where I'd be looking..

Could get a decent MK3 Golf for that sort of money. Old but pretty darn solid and not too expensive to fix. I know that's where I'd be looking..

yeah, i was looking at a few golfs. from what i've discovered so far, i think i'm pretty much resigned to a car thats done around 100k, unless i want something either really old or really small, so a volkswagen badge would be a good thing (if only for repairs being relatively cheap like you say).

it seems there's not a lot of cars for sale at the minute though (where i am at least), so i'm having to look further afield than i'd of wanted. maybe the credit crunch has something to do with it, i dunno...

Well it seems for a grand won't get you much anything. Yeah seems to be a shortage of cars around at the moment.

Since most are going to be high millage, a Diesel might be more worthwhile.

Well it seems for a grand won't get you much anything. Yeah seems to be a shortage of cars around at the moment.

That surprises me, unless people are holding onto their cars longer nowadays...

I part exchanged a 2000 Vectra 2.0DTi in 2007 for ?1000. I have friends with Polos and Golfs and both are nice cars. The Golf has had issues with the alarm though; apparently something in the rear window leaks water which causes the alarm to go off randomly.

did you check autotrader.co.uk ?

yes, my first port of call. second was ebay...

its just a case of looking everywhere i can at the minute. i know for less than a grand its not going to be perfect, but there are bargains to be had, i i want to have one.

there a volvo 440 ive got my eye on (only ?595). i think that would be a cool car...

yes, my first port of call. second was ebay...

its just a case of looking everywhere i can at the minute. i know for less than a grand its not going to be perfect, but there are bargains to be had, i i want to have one.

there a volvo 440 ive got my eye on (only ?595). i think that would be a cool car...

for ?1000 you really just need to keep looking around, there will be a good deal, but you just have to wait a bit

I part exchanged a 2000 Vectra 2.0DTi in 2007 for ?1000.

Well be fair, that is a big 2 litre, quite a lot of power and juice. ?You say it was ?a DTi, how much did it cost to insure and run?

As it was a turbo diesel from 2000 it wasn't particularly powerful! Probably 100bhp. It was a nice car actually, air-con, alloys, multi-function steering wheel. Fuel economy was good - around 50mpg probably, insurance was also pretty cheap.

For ?1000, you won't get too much for reliable and new.

See if you can save up another grand or two and you'll have a much better choice of better reliable cars.

If you can, get something German, don't get anything french, because for a grand you'll be putting more into it, getting it to work all the time.