[Official] Dead Space

Almost!

Seriously, games that everyone else jumped out their skin like Doom 3 or FEAR etc, nothing, but this game is totally different for me and I dunno why lol. The atmosphere is just incredible though. If I hadn't already watched the first part on GameTrailers I think I'd be a lot worse :|

speaking of gametrailers, does anyone know why they removed their review of dead space? did they unfairly review it or put spoilers or something?

Almost!

Seriously, games that everyone else jumped out their skin like Doom 3 or FEAR etc, nothing, but this game is totally different for me and I dunno why lol. The atmosphere is just incredible though. If I hadn't already watched the first part on GameTrailers I think I'd be a lot worse :|

Ah crap!

I haven't watched it yet. I'm going to hold out and not watch it ^^

Watched the review, but I can't say I'll sprint out to buy this game, in fact only if I see it pre-owned, then I may put my hand into my pocket. Then again, this is no reflection of the game at all, I cant abide by anything scary. It scares me :( :cry:

Sadly, I'm one of those people that rarely ever gets creeped out by anything. I blame the internet for this, but nothing "creepy" ever gets to me, so all the atmosphere and creepy stuff in Dead Space is utterly lost on me, but it IS very good at making **** jump out at you, which does catch me off guard quite well. This is the only game since Silent Hill 1 that's been able to make me jump and you don't get praise much higher than that.

Ive got a fear this will be a "scary" version of RE4 as opposed to a real horror game.

The whole aliens on a spaceship seems very cliched.

Shame it seems SH has blown chunks this time round.

And in case you're wondering, I don't just play horror games for scares, in fact I'd rather play through a creepy/well scripted story horror game, than one with an average story that just chucks jump moments at you.

Yeah it is very clich? but they've done a fantastic job of it. When the game first starts and the opening scene comes up I was realllly impressed. I mean some would argue it was too much bloom, but I thought it looked fantastic. Besides, it's not like looking at the sun from down on earth so it's gonna be a lot stronger anyway.

The detail inside the ship is awesome though. They have the blood stain floors and on the wall etc, so even that is long ago been done and I knew something was gonna happen (besides watching the GT video). It still adds to the overall feel though. I actually describe this game to people as Silent Hill in the future as that is what it strikes me of most. Especially because you have limited light, but also the sound in the game. It's fantastic:yes::

I've got no doubts atmosphere will be top notch, but I'll be treating this as an action game, not really a survival horror.

I have a strong feeling the story will blow, or be very cliche without anything really new or deep.

Although I am basing those thoughts off videos/screens and the general concept of the game (ships in space/etc :p)

Happy to be surprised.

Not saying the games bad, I'm just getting really annoyed/bitter with the lack of good ole horror games like the previous SH games. Handing SH5 to Americans/Westerns was a bloody stupid move Konami - So it seems anyway, I'm still to play and make up my own mind.

See that's what I mean, Silent hill = nothing, Resident evil = nothing. No game except Condemned and this has made me jumpy. I've no idea how they managed it :|

They use a lot of clever, yet simple, techniques in order to always make something jump out at you.

(spoilers in case knowing how it works ruins it for some people)

I've noticed two main things so far - the first thing they do is script it so that an enemy spawns off camera right beside you whenever you do certain things, usually when you kill certain enemies, for example. This means you can check out a room as much as you want, you wont find anything, then as soon as you kill one of the enemies, another will jump at you from the side, which you have almost no way of avoiding OR expecting.

Another thing they do is strategically place dead bodies along a path you'll be backtracking over. You'll remember the bodies being there when you first walked past them, hell you might have even stomped on them a few times to be sure, but when you come back, suddenly those bodies will come to life and jump on you, catching you off-guard a good lot of the time (because they don't overuse it). Simple, yet very clever.

OK I just wrote a reply and then whatever happened to NW, it lost it.

Basically I was gonna say that neither of those techniques are new, RE1 did both of them iirc.

You'd walk down a corridor past a "dead" zombie, collect something or whatever, then when you back track the zombie would either be standing up waiting already or it would bite you as you go past. Although Dead Space obviously it's not zombies you are up against and the Quarentine move a hell of a lot faster, so maybe that's why it makes it more heart racing.

The same goes for the dogs in RE1, I'm guessing they spawned off screen and then as soon as you walked past they would jump through the windows at you?

OK I just wrote a reply and then whatever happened to NW, it lost it.

Basically I was gonna say that neither of those techniques are new, RE1 did both of them iirc.

You'd walk down a corridor past a "dead" zombie, collect something or whatever, then when you back track the zombie would either be standing up waiting already or it would bite you as you go past. Although Dead Space obviously it's not zombies you are up against and the Quarentine move a hell of a lot faster, so maybe that's why it makes it more heart racing.

The same goes for the dogs in RE1, I'm guessing they spawned off screen and then as soon as you walked past they would jump through the windows at you?

You're right in that it's not exactly a new technique, but it's done much more elegantly in Dead Space. For example, in RE, if you seen a body on the floor, you KNEW that body was going to get up at some point because you never seen bodies lying around anywhere, but in Dead Space there's bodies all over the place and only a small amount of them decide to come back to life and come and get you.

As for the dogs, it's similar but not quite the same (you could tell something would jump through the window, but in Dead Space the enemies seem to be able to spawn to the side or behind you no matter where you are).

Either way, 90% of it is simple presentation and Dead Space certainly has that down. Although has anyone noticed that some of the walls have really really really low-res textures for no apparent reason?

That's another thing I noticed about the game (slightly took away the atmosphere for me): All through the game, you hear lots of good, atmospheric noises like pipes banging and stuff, but these noises are simple 2D sounds. I.e. if you hear them and have surround sound, if you rotate the camera around, the sound does not change at all, thus you know it's "fake". If you hear a noise, turn around a bit and the sound distorts and changes, you know it's something nearby.

Sethos, you're obviously just emotionally detached from everything that you have no soul. Thus you don't get scared by anything :p

And Kushan, well you sold yours for MHz :p