Why is the Real World Issues forum closed?

I support this decision  

58 members have voted

1. 1. I support this decision

• Nope
    • Yes I do

Very against the decision. One of the main reasons I like Neowin so much is the diversity of people here, you have people from all sides of the globe and that means a great deal of news that someone here in the U.S won't ever get. You also get a wide range of ideas and feelings on subjects and I myself found it very informative. I don't agree that because of a few outbursts by the some members over and over again that the whole board should suffer.

far more than "a few" .. the place was a zoo.

Can't say I ever noticed, all I saw was a difference in opinion between members which caused plenty of arguments. Perhaps someone could give an example of where things got out of hand. Maybe I see things differenty then others on this board.

I can tell you right now OPaul that the entire deal was getting out of control, flaming and insults were rampid and in general it wasn't producing the type of discussion (Intelligent/Mature) that had originally been hoped.

Perhaps you, personally, see things different than others but, Neobond and all of the staff must do what they feel is best for the site and the majority of our visitors.

Can't say I ever noticed, all I saw was a difference in opinion between members which caused plenty of arguments. Perhaps someone could give an example of where things got out of hand. Maybe I see things differenty then others on this board.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?s=&a...t=entry694942

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?s=&a...15entry704179

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?s=&a...45entry703369

How many more do you want? ;)

Neobond: I'll support you in your decision to do what is best for Neowin, but I will miss RWI personally.

Its not permanent, because I miss it too :)

Its not permanent, because I miss it too :)

Yes boss, but you're a Masochist. ;) Most of us are VERY happy it's gone! ;)

I agree. I know I don't post much on the boards (Not enough time in the day). But after spending some time over the past week reading some the posts in there, I lost respect for some people and gained it for others. I feel it's better to keep our political and religious views off the boards. The internet is supposed to be a global community and those two things alone break that up, much like it is in the real world.

Some people, such as myself, would like to bleong to a community/family that gets along with each other and wwants to help each other. Not the same kind of atmosphere that I get at work or on the street. Neowin is that kind of place. I want to treat and think of everyone here as equals, but after reading some of the stuff people had said it makes it difficult.

These are just my opinions on the matter.

If you feel that way, why not simply ignore the forum?

I don't read the Mac forum because there's nothing of interest to me in there, the same could be done with RWI :yes:

That 3 incidents out of 538 total threads. Doesn't seem like a big issue to me.

As I said before...

"Perhaps you, personally, see things different than others but, Neobond and all of the staff must do what they feel is best for the site and the majority of our visitors."

it was nasty.

• plethora of cut/paste from news sources w/out any thoughtful input regarding the article
  • personal feuds sprouting up over and over

i forgot neowin had other forums to visit :blush:

You're missing the point. That's 3 incidents before I stopped looking for examples. There are many more that are not even in that forum any more, due to the nature of the threads.

I guess I was wrong. I just dont believe all threads should be closed as mine and among others do serve a purpose in the forum but some are extreme critisim and hatreed towards countrys.

Neobond as silly walk or cara said, it was moved to the Soapbox by Keldyn. Sorry :/

Personally, I have faith in the site mods/admin to do what is in the best interest of Neowin. I think it was quite generous of Neobond to allow feedback on this particular decision, and I hope that it doesn't dissolve into petty bickering with the mods, or he may not do so in the future :)

The forum was great, I learnt a lot there, I ended up speaking to a few yanks on MSN, and got to know a bit more about American, so from my point of view it opened my eyes a little more.

I guess closing it was a good idea tho given current events.

I agree with Jay, I've got a lot of faith in you guys to do the right thing.

Is the RWI forum to be closed permanently or is it a temporary measure until a better moderation solution can be found?

It is a temporary measure. RWI will be re-opened and we hope to have an effective "moderation solution" in place when it does.

Is the RWI forum to be closed permanently or is it a temporary measure until a better moderation solution can be found?

Q: Is the RWI forum to be closed permanently? A: Personally? No

I wanted to leave it closed for now because of the obvious frame of mind with the war on Iraq just resulting in flames/profanities and countless violations of our guidelines. It got to the stage that I couldn't go in there w/o having to moderate someones thread or post.

So initially its for a breather and we will be placing dedicated mods in that forum when we come back. Now I've seen 1.2 and the features that come with it we *might* wait until we have that installed, depending on how long it takes Neowin to go to 1.2.

I saw that you can ban single members from individual forums now which will be a great benefit for that forum.

I'm also grateful for the people that support our decision on this, and yes we do appreciate and listen to feedback, the forum is a result of that feedback

Q: Is the RWI forum to be closed permanently? A: Personally? No

I wanted to leave it closed for now because of the obvious frame of mind with the war on Iraq just resulting in flames/profanities and countless violations of our guidelines. It got to the stage that I couldn't go in there w/o having to moderate someones thread or post.

So initially its for a breather and we will be placing dedicated mods in that forum when we come back. Now I've seen 1.2 and the features that come with it we *might* wait until we have that installed, depending on how long it takes Neowin to go to 1.2.

I saw that you can ban single members from individual forums now which will be a great benefit for that forum.

I'm also grateful for the people that support our decision on this, and yes we do appreciate and listen to feedback, the forum is a result of that feedback

Thank You!

I used to post quite often in RWI, but once the war started, I couldn't stand the sight of RWI.

The way I see it, is if you can back up your points with links, then it's a valid post whether I agree with it or not. But too many of the posts degenerated into "beliefs", not discussion, with no evidence to back up someone's claim at all, or posting pics of atrocities to back up a point without any thought that atrocites happen on both sides, etc, etc, etc. And one other thing, both Anti-War and Pro-War factions were equally guilty.

It's sad to see RWI go. Before the war, it was an informative place to go, but since the war started, I think it was an embarrassment to Neowin. I hope it comes back someday, but until then it's personally a bit of a relief.

The forum was great, I learnt a lot there, I ended up speaking to a few yanks on MSN, and got to know a bit more about American, so from my point of view it opened my eyes a little more.

All the more reasons to keep it open... But hey, I don't make the rules much less run the forum, so I'll leave it to the Neowin crew to decide what's best for the Neowin community as a whole. Hopefully, RWI will re-open soon...

I voted no cuz I like the idea, but the problems we have there are out of control. I wish there was a way to fix the issues. But if there is no way then I do support the idea to cloe it.