Anyone Have Any Personal DVR Suggestions

madd-hatter

I'm looking to buy a DVR.

Criteria:

NO monthly fee.

HD recording abilities.

Must record in 16:9.

60+GB HDD or removable/additional storage options.

Duel DVR with DVDR would be a plus.

Opinions welcome. I have no desire to discuss TiVo though. (I don't really care how much anyone (or everyone) likes it. In my opinion, you shouldn't have to pay monthly fees to store something in your possession.

Accompanied by a personal likes/dislike and/or an Amazon link would be wonderful. Thank you

I am Reid

I assume that you dont want to rent one from your cable company? I also think TiVo is a waste, but I dont think you have to pay monthly for it, im pretty sure you can just buy it.

deuz

just looked on amazon, man you guys have ****-all in terms of pvrs. all you have is tivo(imo is a pos ripoff), which is failing very hard in the aus market(cable have there own pvrs and for free to air ppl buy there own pvrs).

good ones here are: panasonic, samsung, sony, lg(reliability is so-so),beyonwiz(one of the best, but dont think they sell o/s). pana is probably the best out of what is avaliable mainstream. i dont know exaclty what brand an models the us stock though.

I am Reid
just looked on amazon, man you guys have ****-all in terms of pvrs. all you have is tivo(imo is a pos ripoff), which is failing very hard in the aus market(cable have there own pvrs and for free to air ppl buy there own pvrs).

good ones here are: panasonic, samsung, sony, lg(reliability is so-so),beyonwiz(one of the best, but dont think they sell o/s). pana is probably the best out of what is avaliable mainstream. i dont know exaclty what brand an models the us stock though.

The large majority of people DO get them from their cable company for about $5-10 a month, nobody waste their money buying them. The ones that you CAN buy other than tivo dont record HD, just SD, which is another reason other than the money that people rent from cable company instead of buying. Im not sure why this guy dosnt want to rent one, maybe he dosnt have cable, but by the time the rental fee has surpassed the cost of buying one the cable company will probably have upgraded their DVRs and he will get a new one while paying the same. Same thing goes for when it breaks, he'll probably a 1 year standard warranty unless he buys an extended one. If he rents, he automatically has a warranty, if it breaks just call the cable company, and they will give a new one, no questions asked. If it just makes a funny sound one time, call, and you get a new one.

PermaSt0ne

yea, you're pretty screwed in america for this

you can always set up an Home Theater PC to do it all for you for free, but that's gana be like $400 to build the computer and take a little while to set up the software. this is what i've decided to instead of paying for TiVO

plainwhitets

To the best of my knowledge, there is no easy way to do this unless you want to buy a specially certified PC that will run you $1000+ because the PC needs a CableCard.

Just get DVR from your cable provider for $10 a month.

TruckWEB

Check with your Cable/SAT provider. I use the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD, 320Gb of storage, dual receiver, record HD 16:9 and SD content. Can record 2 channels while you can watch something already on the HDD.

You can have similar equipment from SAT provider.

I got mine for $499, not monthly fee.

• 2 weeks later...
I am Reid
Check with your Cable/SAT provider. I use the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD, 320Gb of storage, dual receiver, record HD 16:9 and SD content. Can record 2 channels while you can watch something already on the HDD.

You can have similar equipment from SAT provider.

I got mine for $499, not monthly fee.

Was that your only option? I too had the same DVR(until I found out a few days ago they got newer versions so I went in an exchanged mine), but I rent mine for about $10 a month, no way im pay that much for a DVR.

DaDude

I think you may want to look into getting a DVD-recorder instead. My friend has one and he likes it. The problem with DVRs is that you can only store so much on them.

Edited by xraffle
deuz

my PVR is a dvd recorder with hdd and the other one is just a hdd, you can always get a line out to dvd recrder, probably better to get a hdd one first for home viewing...tis a alot more flexible. hardly ever put it to dvd unless its a goooood movie or the olympics....:p:P